Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Camping

Permanent Campsite

(1/4) > >>

michaelnz:
I am looking to have a campsite in the middle of our bush section. I am thinking of leaving an army surplus tent up over summer.  I have considered a building a wooden platform as a base and tent stove.

Has anyone done anything like this?
Any tips?

Edit: corrected typo in subject

GreyWolf:
Be careful wild animals, you'll be in for a nasty surprise some day when you show up. Critters love places like that.

michaelnz:
nothing bigger than rabbits so should be all good. Will keep an eye on it though.

1greenman:
Critters was my thought and concern too.

Spiders, snakes, racoons, rats, mice and the ever troublesome honey-badger

Ok, maybe not the last one.  Try not eat any food inside or two to three crumbs will tempt 10 mice eat holes and come inside.   

To keep some animals away you may have success with urinating near/close around your platform.  If getting haircut, save hair and spread around to put strong human scent there.  Not sure either of these practices will do any to deter mice, but is likely to deter skunks and coyotes.

Could you setup platform, but take down tent each time and store it on site, maybe inside two buckets stacked - mouths together.

michaelnz:
"Spiders, snakes, racoons, rats, mice and the ever troublesome honey-badger"

Luckily I live in New Zealand so the spiders are mostly harmless, snakes and no existent, a few rates & mice but unfortunately no honey badgers.  I hear that a Honey badger is one fearless mother fucker! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Thanks for the great responses. Fantastic to find a forum where people focus on a sensible answer rather than the typo in the title.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version