Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

First shotgun advice

<< < (4/4)

Davew223:
Take a look at the Benelli Nova. 

machinisttx:

--- Quote from: jerseyboy on June 21, 2016, 10:19:22 PM ---
 Also the extractor replacement on the 870 is a weld job.

Jerseyboy

--- End quote ---

The extractor on an 870 is easily replaced with a small screwdriver, a few choice words, and some patience. The ejector, which is what you're referring to, does not require welding to replace, but it does require some special tools...and usually refinishing the receiver as well. Frankly, I don't see why it matters that much. I have 870's from the 1950's that have never been refinished and the ejectors are just fine. There are probably close to a dozen 870 wingmasters owned by my immediate family and myself. Never once has any of them had an ejector failure in thousands and thousands of rounds. On the other hand, we have all had mossberg 500's fail in exactly the same way---failure to chamber the next round, instead dropping it straight out the loading port on the bottom. I have seen 870 express models so poorly fitted from the factory that the trigger group pins would fall out if the gun was tipped to the side.

jerseyboy:

--- Quote from: machinisttx on June 22, 2016, 05:26:58 PM ---The extractor on an 870 is easily replaced with a small screwdriver, a few choice words, and some patience. The ejector, which is what you're referring to, does not require welding to replace, but it does require some special tools...and usually refinishing the receiver as well. Frankly, I don't see why it matters that much. I have 870's from the 1950's that have never been refinished and the ejectors are just fine. There are probably close to a dozen 870 wingmasters owned by my immediate family and myself. Never once has any of them had an ejector failure in thousands and thousands of rounds. On the other hand, we have all had mossberg 500's fail in exactly the same way---failure to chamber the next round, instead dropping it straight out the loading port on the bottom. I have seen 870 express models so poorly fitted from the factory that the trigger group pins would fall out if the gun was tipped to the side.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the correction. I do like the 870 better but wish it came by default with a tap for rails on the top. Why should I have the extra expense of paying someone to tap it for me or me risking messing it up by trying to tap it myself.  Also I have seen videos of shells dropping instead of being chambered buy I have never experienced it in a Mossberg. However I did see it happen on an 870 at the range a few months ago repeatedly in the same gun.

Also the Mossberg magazine size is fixed in size on the 500. The 870 can have tube extensions put on.

Jerseyboy

Jerseyboy

bigbear:
Ended up getting a Mossberg 535.  It came with two barrels, one for shot and a longer one for slug.  After shooting the 22 with my wife and 3 oldest kids, I pulled out the shotgun.  We were all smiles after the boom stick let loose! 

hackmeister:
Lean into it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version