Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

First shotgun advice

<< < (3/4) > >>

9mmMaster:
Man that,s the great thing about the shotgun. It's so versatile!

I think your original choices of Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 is a good one. Don't get a special purpose one. Just the standard all around hunting one. It will suit you fine for foul, squirrel deer defense Ect...
You get a special purpose it won't do the rest quite so well.

Later if you get into one thing heavily you'll have a better idea exactly what your looking for. Barrel length camo porting she'll length.

I would say for now look at 26-28" barrel 2-3/4 to 3 inch 12ga 5 shot 3 with plug.

You may also look at the benelli super nova. Often overlooked great gun.

Bolomark:
I have the Mossberg 500/ multi barrels, love it so versatile. Good Bang for the buck (pun intended)
for safety if you don't have room for a safe, get a lockable gun case throw on a small padlock and it's secure. teach kids about guns so they won't be curious.
Good Hunting.

SloSheepdog:

--- Quote from: Fyrediver on February 27, 2016, 09:57:46 AM ---Finally, consider http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm as a spare ammo carrier.  You can carry many of the cards and the velcro will allow it to fit into the shotlock still. 

--- End quote ---

I second this. If you want to see some pics of the Esstac, see this old thread where I put them on my 590SP.  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=51076.msg584715#msg584715

I would suggest a 500 that comes with two barrels for a first shotgun. That said I like mine but it's just for defense, not clays or hunting. If any of you readers want a purely defensive shotgun check out this 590A1 with magpul furnature already installed: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/563557572
(Auction ends and link will be bad in 2 days)

9mmMaster:
I agree with the last two posts. I Love the 500 and the 590 even more.
I think the 500 design has a lot of advantages over the 870
Duel extractors. It the ejector breaks it's easy to replace. Easy to mount optics to the receiver.

Still I've shot and trained with them the 870 just points better for me. Again that's me! Noticably better if you can try those two and see for yourself.

jerseyboy:

--- Quote from: 9mmMaster on June 20, 2016, 10:54:44 PM ---I agree with the last two posts. I Love the 500 and the 590 even more.
I think the 500 design has a lot of advantages over the 870
Duel extractors. It the ejector breaks it's easy to replace. Easy to mount optics to the receiver.

Still I've shot and trained with them the 870 just points better for me. Again that's me! Noticably better if you can try those two and see for yourself.

--- End quote ---

I have both. Neither in pistol grip, which is a point. The safety on an 870 is on the trigger guard. The safety on the 500 is on the top. If you have a regular stock, no problem, thumb or pointer finger. Add a pistol grip and the safety on the 500 becomes troublesome but the one on the 870 is still properly placed.

Completely agree about the optics on the 500, it comes tapped for a rail for a scope. The base 870 is not tapped. Also the extractor replacement on the 870 is a weld job.

Jerseyboy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version