Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Firearms Advice For Beginners

Scared of guns... Alternatives?

<< < (2/9) > >>

PistolWhipped:
First question, are you willing to attempt to become more comfortable with guns? 

Are you willing to step outside of your present comfort zone, if it meant you were better prepared to defend your children in the future?  If not, then pardon the expression, but this is all just jerking off.

If so, I would agree with soup, the first step in dealing with the issue is determining why you fear firearms.  If you are uncomfortable with them, you will not want them in your home and will not learn to use them properly.  The NRA offers a number of introductory courses depending on what type of shooting you are looking to do.  Take it slow, there is nothing that says you have to get from soccer mom to operator overnight.

Mace is decent for non-committed attackers, or as an opening to other tools.  I've been maced before though, and it didn't drop me screaming like most packaging says it will.  Burned like a mother, but I was still functional.

I'd recommend a Tazer over a stun gun, but neither are high on my list of defensive weapons. I've been hit with both, after the first few times a person is hit with one they learn to shake it off.

You know, the more I type the more I realize I need less crazy friends.

The aforementioned impact baton is better, but stick fighting is another can of worms.

I saw you mention you have a knife.  Personally, the idea of using a knife over a gun scares the living hell out of me, and I've quite a bit of training with both.  Guns are loud but they give you a safety buffer.  Distance is your friend when someone is trying to hurt you.  Knives are brutal and messy and very close and personal.

If you honestly intend to use it for defensive purposes, I would highly recommend learning a system like Martial Blade Concepts in order to use it effectively.  Also, if you have no idea about how bad knife woulds are, and you can stomach it, you might want to look up just what they do.  I would warn you, it is VERY graphic.  That would not sit well with a jury, when compared with a few bullet holes if you used a gun.  Legal battles are as big a part of force usage and the actual fight.

Robinelli:
Well I guess I might as well post the reason for my aversion.  I was nearly shot not once but TWICE by an experienced person with a gun. Once in my bedroom as a teenager (my brother's friend shot a hole through the house with a shotgun while trying to clean it) and once in my brother's car when he had a loaded gun in the back apparently and we hit a bump and it blew a hole through the car. Also my best friend's mother committed suicide with a gun. Lastly, and completely seemingly unrelated, I once had a firecracker backfire and blow into my stomach. Even though it wasn't a gun, that part in my mind thinks if I had a gun it could somehow backfire or misfire and I could get shot. Probably because of my earlier experiences. Honestly I am afraid to even be in a room with a gun. I want to get over my fear but I wonder if it is actually a rational one.

Cooter Brown:

--- Quote from: Robinelli on September 17, 2012, 04:36:46 PM ---Well I guess I might as well post the reason for my aversion.  I was nearly shot not once but TWICE by an experienced person with a gun. Once in my bedroom as a teenager (my brother's friend shot a hole through the house with a shotgun while trying to clean it) and once in my brother's car when he had a loaded gun in the back apparently and we hit a bump and it blew a hole through the car. Also my best friend's mother committed suicide with a gun. Lastly, and completely seemingly unrelated, I once had a firecracker backfire and blow into my stomach. Even though it wasn't a gun, that part in my mind thinks if I had a gun it could somehow backfire or misfire and I could get shot. Probably because of my earlier experiences. Honestly I am afraid to even be in a room with a gun. I want to get over my fear but I wonder if it is actually a rational one.

--- End quote ---

I hear ya, sister. I have been the recipient of two different negligent discharges myself; both from "experienced" gun guys. Caught fragments on one, full-on hit with he other. Clearly experience does not equal competence.  It's made me something of a safety nazi, and very picky about classes. On more than one occasion, I have left a class because the instructor was too casual about safety. I also observe the firing line at the range before I decide whether to shoot or not. If the idiot density is high, I'll come back another day.

The tools aren't the problem, its the hands that wield them. Again I'll recommend the NRA Home Firearms Safety class, but I'll add that you should have a talk with the instructor beforehand. You need someone who will take your anxieties seriously and be able to support you as become familiar with how these tools work and how they are to be safely and competently handled.

Cedar:
When my ex-husband was stalking me , restraining orders didn't work and I did not have a gun, I kept a cigarette lighter and a can of cheap hairspray next to me when I was sleeping.

... a gun is probably safer.

Cedar

Robinelli:

--- Quote from: Cooter Brown on September 17, 2012, 05:41:08 PM ---I hear ya, sister. I have been the recipient of two different negligent discharges myself; both from "experienced" gun guys. Caught fragments on one, full-on hit with he other. Clearly experience does not equal competence.  It's made me something of a safety nazi, and very picky about classes. On more than one occasion, I have left a class because the instructor was too casual about safety. I also observe the firing line at the range before I decide whether to shoot or not. If the idiot density is high, I'll come back another day.

The tools aren't the problem, its the hands that wield them. Again I'll recommend the NRA Home Firearms Safety class, but I'll add that you should have a talk with the instructor beforehand. You need someone who will take your anxieties seriously and be able to support you as become familiar with how these tools work and how they are to be safely and competently handled.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for not judging, I was a little nervous about posting about this! I'm glad you're alright! That's really terrible. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version