Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Camping

Sleeping on a cot

(1/10) > >>

archer:
So I've camped for decades, but always on some type of backpacking pad. Well, the old bones are starting to protest this more, and am wondering how cots work for sleeping on in a tent. Anyone have any experience or recommendations for me?
Do you put some type of mattress/pad on the cot under your sleeping bag? how stable are they?

excaliber:
I have spent months sleeping on an army cot, learned a lot.

they are very stable, but can be somewhat hard to assemble (the parts fit together really tight)
I bought a walmart cot that was fine except the nylon squeaked on the aluminum every time I moved really loudly, I covered the aluminum with duct tape and that fixed the problem.

THE CURE WORTH A MILLION DOLLARS  The best thing I ever done was bought a 2 inch think memory foam bed topper for a twin bed, throw it on the cot and it is nearly as good as a regular bed. Spend the money it is well worth it.

archer:

--- Quote from: excaliber on August 22, 2012, 08:56:49 PM ---I have spent months sleeping on an army cot, learned a lot.

they are very stable, but can be somewhat hard to assemble (the parts fit together really tight)
I bought a walmart cot that was fine except the nylon squeaked on the aluminum every time I moved really loudly, I covered the aluminum with duct tape and that fixed the problem.

THE CURE WORTH A MILLION DOLLARS  The best thing I ever done was bought a 2 inch think memory foam bed topper for a twin bed, throw it on the cot and it is nearly as good as a regular bed. Spend the money it is well worth it.

--- End quote ---
thanks for the tips excaliber!

Nicodemus:
I have wide shoulders and every cot that I've tried was really uncomfortable due to the supports cutting into one shoulder or the other if I shifted out of dead center. I found a couple of extra wide cots at Cabela's though. The memory foam idea might help for this as well.

RPZ:
You will still need some form of insulation underneath your compressed sleeping bag on a cot in colder conditions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version