Author Topic: Moving from MA to Chesapeake VA  (Read 518 times)

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
Moving from MA to Chesapeake VA
« on: August 19, 2015, 07:50:23 PM »
Cross posting this from the Walking to Freedom board - it doesn't seem to be very active lately

It's been a long process but next month we will be Virginia residents. We are renting but will be looking to buy as soon as possible. Aside from the move and getting the kids and wife settled, I will be focusing on getting my firearms squared away. My understanding of the gun laws in VA is that purchase and ownership requires no license, but you need one if you want to carry concealed. I believe open carry is legal but could be problematic in practice. If anyone can offer any advice on getting my concealed carry permit I'd appreciate. I've read that residents go through the local circuit court but I'm not really sure how that would work. Im giddy as a little schoolgirl at the prospect of buying cheap normal capacity post ban magazines, I may just have to buy an free state AR or AK  :-)

Hallelujah, free at last!

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
Re: Moving from MA to Chesapeake VA
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »
Congrats. Outside of the beltway Virginia is a pretty gun friendly state. Good time to buy an AR as the prices have dropped significantly. Best of luck.

Offline The Spartan Dad

• Survivalist Mentor
  • one step at a time
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:36:20 AM »
Welcome to VA! First, you should head over to VCDL https://www.vcdl.org/ where you can find a definitive list of VA carry laws for both concealed and open carry. Please join their email list and if you're able pay the $25 membership fee to keep them going. They've been at the forefront of protecting and expanding VA gun rights and preventing us from becoming another MA or CA. They really do good work!

To get your CHP, you'll need to take a course and then present that certificate at the Circuit Court along with your application which can downloaded online off of the State Police website. Years ago you needed to get your fingerprints also but most of the cities and counties have stopped this. You can get your fingerprints done at the police station if required. If you have no disqualifiers, VA is a SHALL ISSUE state and you will have your CHP within 45 days (I think 45).

This is the course my wife took... it's all online and accepted throughout VA... http://www.concealed-carry.net/

I'd recommend visiting The Armory on the Chesapeake/VA Beach border. They have a great selection and great prices. I think you can also order online and pickup in store.

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
Congrats. Outside of the beltway Virginia is a pretty gun friendly state. Good time to buy an AR as the prices have dropped significantly. Best of luck.

Thanks hackmeister!

Welcome to VA! First, you should head over to VCDL https://www.vcdl.org/ where you can find a definitive list of VA carry laws for both concealed and open carry. Please join their email list and if you're able pay the $25 membership fee to keep them going. They've been at the forefront of protecting and expanding VA gun rights and preventing us from becoming another MA or CA. They really do good work!

To get your CHP, you'll need to take a course and then present that certificate at the Circuit Court along with your application which can downloaded online off of the State Police website. Years ago you needed to get your fingerprints also but most of the cities and counties have stopped this. You can get your fingerprints done at the police station if required. If you have no disqualifiers, VA is a SHALL ISSUE state and you will have your CHP within 45 days (I think 45).

This is the course my wife took... it's all online and accepted throughout VA... http://www.concealed-carry.net/

I'd recommend visiting The Armory on the Chesapeake/VA Beach border. They have a great selection and great prices. I think you can also order online and pickup in store.

Thanks for the resources Spartan Dad I will check them out!

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
Welcome to Virginia, from just north of Richmond.
We're way gun-friendly, for now. Governor Dick and Balls is lookin' to change that, I hear.

I took the online class for my CHP, and had no issues. I mailed it in, and then went and took a legit course, from a legit NRA certified instructor in Richmond: http://www.tac-solutions.com/default.html
It's worth the hour trip for you.

I did both classes because I didn't feel like the online course offered any info outside basic handgun safety. It all seemed too common sense to be worth any money, so I took Dave's class. Do yourself a favor and at least consider skipping anything online. Unless, of course, you already know a majority of the in's and out's of Virginia gun laws, and carrying in your new home state. Then just fast track yourself and get the permit and go...

Again, welcome.

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »
Welcome to Virginia,
I'm way west of you, near Appomattox, Where the civil war ended.
Keebler.

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 08:55:34 AM »
Thanks  keebler we are loving it so far

The sale of the old house in MA went through earlier this week I celebrated by buying a normal capacity mag for my SR9 :-)

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:09:12 PM »
Welcome to VA, we are newcomers also, been here since Jan 13.  We love traveling around the state and enjoying history.

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 05:07:31 AM »
welcome all new Virginians,
Keebler.