Community & Regional Connections > Region Five

Anyone live in, or around Austin TX?

<< < (3/6) > >>

TexasGirl:

--- Quote from: Beetlebum on December 05, 2013, 11:17:33 PM --- Any general general knowledge or tips for Austin I should know? Thanks

--- End quote ---

Austin itself is different, it's like little California.  There are actually bumper stickers that say "Keep Austin Weird."  Other's see it as a zit, embarrassing and full of toxic pus.

Austin is not representative of the rest of the state.  Please don't hold us accountable for what you may see there. (Stay off of 6th street.)

~TG

OutWestTX:

--- Quote from: TexasGirl on December 06, 2013, 07:30:55 AM --- (Stay off of 6th street.)

~TG

--- End quote ---

No, everyone must experience 6th Street at least once!   ;D

oktheniknow:
Yeah, Austin is funky weird. Has lots of business opportunity though.
I live in hated Williamson. Works for me. In the country but near the city.
Georgetown is a quaint little town not far from Austin.
Are you looking to move inside the city limits of Austin? Property taxes are high. Course they are high in Williamson as well.
Let me know when in town and can get together for coffee.

oktheniknow:
Sixth Street is best experienced on Halloween.
You get the double barreled weirdness!

Beetlebum:
Thanks for all the replies!

--- Quote from: oktheniknow on December 06, 2013, 09:43:36 AM ---Yeah, Austin is funky weird. Has lots of business opportunity though.
I live in hated Williamson. Works for me. In the country but near the city.
Georgetown is a quaint little town not far from Austin.
Are you looking to move inside the city limits of Austin? Property taxes are high. Course they are high in Williamson as well.
Let me know when in town and can get together for coffee.

--- End quote ---

Georgetown does look nice! Whoever put together the city's Flickr account has picked some beautiful pictures. I also like how they have a kickball league... awesome. Right now I'm looking at renting in the city because I'm not ready to play the commuter traffic game yet. Ill hopefully find myself within biking distance of work. Eventually we'll move out away from the city as we're able. I was noticing how high the rents and home prices seem to be. They seem to be inflated relative to the rest of the state/nation. Any thoughts? I suppose I haven't looked at too much real estate in other large cities so maybe it's on par. Thanks for the offer, I'll try to take you up on that when I do get down there to take a look.

--- Quote from: TexasGirl on December 06, 2013, 07:30:55 AM ---Austin itself is different, it's like little California.  There are actually bumper stickers that say "Keep Austin Weird."  Other's see it as a zit, embarrassing and full of toxic pus.

Austin is not representative of the rest of the state.  Please don't hold us accountable for what you may see there. (Stay off of 6th street.)

--- End quote ---

I take it you see Austin as a zit. I am curious what you think I will see there that requires disassociation of accountability. I have lived in TX before, just not that area or any of the large cities for that matter. I'm not going in completely blind of what TX is. How is it a little California? Do you mean in financial/regulatory/political/people can't drive in snow sense?

I find the dichotomy between opinions of Austin really interesting. People seem to be really proud of being "weird"  or want nothing to do with the place. I'm hoping to find people who don't subscribe to the Left/Right paradigm. I've seen several things that make me think I will find this but many people seem to think Austin is forever lost to the Left. This leads me to wonder, is this a relative Left compared to TX or to the rest of the nation? Maybe "weird" means they don't subscribe to the typical paradigms?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version