Author Topic: Endurance Garden 2014  (Read 29839 times)

endurance

Endurance Garden 2014
« on: March 11, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »
Well, it's 24F outside right now and it snowed five inches, but I decided to get my order in on some plants to be delivered May 21 (last frost date).

The variety of peach is a late blooming cold hardy one that might prevent losing the harvest like last year to a late frost.  I'm finally dialing in the needs of the All Field Berries over the last two years and know that they need to get in some of my moister/shadier spots to thrive.  I wanted to try some yellow raspberries this year since I have had a lot of bird loss in years past and I've heard the birds aren't as keen on the yellow ones.  I love currants, they're nitrogen fixers, too, and have done really well on my property so far.  And Salmonberry is new.  Anyone who's grown them before, please let me know if you have any recommendations on where to plant them.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Endurance Garden 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »
And Salmonberry is new.  Anyone who's grown them before, please let me know if you have any recommendations on where to plant them.

They grow all over the Pacific NW. We have hundreds of them here on the farm. They seem to like moist and semi-shaded.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:44:48 AM »
Thanks. I have one area that will work well for that, albeit, it's getting a bit crowded. I need my fruit trees to grow so I have more shade!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
What colour are they? We have three colors up here, but usually you see the orange ones.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 12:51:48 PM »
What colour are they? We have three colors up here, but usually you see the orange ones.

Cedar
http://www.raintreenursery.com/Salmonberry_E310.html

Looks like red. Looks yummy!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
They can be pucker tart  ;D Make them into something *LOL*

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 06:35:00 PM »
I just bought a masticating juicer, so random berries are very welcome.  It also accounts for some of the things on this list ordered today:

endurance

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 08:35:54 PM »
another seed order in:

I worked on expanding one bed and adding a new bed last weekend.  Great progress, but still a lot of work to go and I need to get probably two yards of dirt to complete the project.  Still, it was good to take advantage of the one decent weather day we had that I wasn't busy and make some headway.  Two or three more good days and I should be ready to start planting the cold-tolerant stuff.

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 04:31:34 AM »
They can be pucker tart  ;D Make them into something *LOL*

Cedar

I have some Aronia out at the "farm".  Talk about pucker-worthy!  But it only takes a few to give zing and color to a nice smoothie.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 04:55:17 AM »
When spring arrives up there please give us some panoramic pics- I've enjoyed seeing how your gardenscape has filled out over the last couple years

endurance

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »
Here's your Pano, Cohutt:  Clicky (too wide to post as a picture here or I have to shrink it to the point of losing too much detail)

The new bed is the rock wall on the right in the foreground ending at the phone pole.  I finished the wall this weekend with about eight hours of rock stacking into it and by the end of the weekend I had the first 3' behind it dug to bedrock, laid in 4" of manure/pine chip mulch, 6-12" of wood (hugelbed), 6" of manure/pine chip mulch on that, then about 6" of native soil that I removed.  Next I'll do the next 3' to the north (top of photo), and the next 3' after that with the same or similar treatment, with less hugelbed as I go up.  There will probably be a 6-12" terrace within the terrace leading up to the next bed above this one.  After that I'll add 3-4" of manure/pine chip and blend it into the native soil and top with 6-8" of Gardener's Mix from my local nursery.  The lowest part of the bed will have about 3' of good soil and hugelbed, the top end might only have 6" of good soil above the bedrock, so trees and shrubs low, herbs and annuals in the upper part of the bed.  Obviously my shallow soils affect everything, but you take what you're given and do the best you can.

My baby girl coming to check out the new digs:

If it didn't fit through the chipper last year and was too crooked or small to use as firewood, it's hugelbed material this year:

Dressed with 6" of aged horse manure and wood chips that have been through my shredder:

Bring on the dirt next:

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »
I thought I was handy with a shovel, but you are a manual digging machine.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
Nice panorama too- it makes a huge difference in the perspective after following your progress via tighter shots over the years. 

endurance

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
I had a bit of an off year last year, so I didn't put much energy into my photography.  I'm hoping to do a few videos as things green up and I'll probably also do a pano or two from different angles once I've done some clean up.  I'm in need of hauling away a truck load of old hose, tubing, and other planting materials before I feel like showing off the garden's darker recesses. 

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »
I just put in a raised hugelbed this year too. It looks very similar to this. That is great it makes me feel like I'm doing something right! I'll try to post pictures if I can. I had some eastern red cedar logs laying out in the pasture so they are now the border. I think they will be a good choice since cedar is supposed to resist rot. ( and they were available and free)

endurance

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 09:55:49 PM »
I just put in a raised hugelbed this year too. It looks very similar to this. That is great it makes me feel like I'm doing something right! I'll try to post pictures if I can. I had some eastern red cedar logs laying out in the pasture so they are now the border. I think they will be a good choice since cedar is supposed to resist rot. ( and they were available and free)
I put in my first similar bed in 2011 and while it took a bit of time to get established, the results have been excellent, weathering two years of back to back drought as well as the wettest September in the state's history last year.  I don't think you'll be disappointed in the long run, just be patient for natural processes to take place (roots to get deep enough, the wood to break down enough, the microbes to come into balance, etc.).  And odd things happen that are unpredictable.  A full 20' below my swale I had a black water spring emerge last year.  What water was soaking in was being filtered by the layers of manure and coming to the surface after being pushed up by bedrock laden with nutrients, so I build another bed there.  Adapt and overcome. ;D

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »
So how do you post pics from an iPhone so I can show off my handiwork?

endurance

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 10:10:51 PM »
So how do you post pics from an iPhone so I can show off my handiwork?
I suggest you start your own thread so we can all track your project and progress throughout the season.

Here's a thread on how to post photos:  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=21040.msg0#new

endurance

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
After getting snowed out of working in the garden last weekend (6" of wet spring snow on Thursday and then cold temperatures holding it until Sunday, but then everything was too muddy), I finally got some progress today in the garden.  I completed the bed I started last summer but never planted or finished and then I quickly got my cold weather crops planted in it since another 6-15" is forecast for Sunday.  I'll do my best to get my new bed at least partially finished tomorrow so I can get planting, but I'll need at least another two trips to the nursery for soil. 

Here's today's completion of my lower bed. 

The steps are new and this is the first time I've run a terrace all the way to the fence.  I found that by not doing that I was getting water running down my path and this way it won't go to waste.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
Where are you getting all these rocks?

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »
Where are you getting all these rocks?

Cedar
Dig down about 6".  I have about a foot to 18" of rocky soil before I hit bedrock.  That accounted for about 30-40% just digging the bed.  The remainder are gathered from the surface on the rest of the property.  Thus, my need to import top soil or make my own with manure and wood chips.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
You're a powerhouse, endurance.

endurance

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 08:46:11 PM »
Today was ridiculous.  I was shoveling and hauling dirt by 9:00am, worked until 4:10 when I got paged to a vehicle over the edge and had to take five trips up and down that godforsaken hill, the last one hauling the patient.  After the call I had to go back out to the garden to finish planting before the 6-15" of snow arrives overnight.  I hurt all over.  Just popped some aspirin and about to pop open a cold one as soon as my wife gets home with dinner.

That's the first load (1 yard).

Second load raked in.

Ready for planting.

My unplanned interruption.  There's no way to share just how steep that hill was.  Gawd, just looking at it makes me hurt...and I hurt pretty bad right now.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »
I have a pretty good idea how steep that hill is from taking lots of pics and the hill not looking as steep in the pic as it does in person. Newbie UHaul driver? At least it didn't roll. That snow on the treeline?

Think of it as PT!!!
And your garden is looking lovely. Are you reusing the raised beds?

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 09:27:10 PM »
I have a pretty good idea how steep that hill is from taking lots of pics and the hill not looking as steep in the pic as it does in person. Newbie UHaul driver? At least it didn't roll. That snow on the treeline?

Think of it as PT!!!
And your garden is looking lovely. Are you reusing the raised beds?

Cedar
Amazed it didn't roll. We had to stabilize before we could remove the patient.  Probably fell asleep at the wheel and somehow split the gap between the guard rail and the hillside.  And yes, that's snow.  Our last snow was a week ago last Thursday, but big snow is on its way.

The boxes are for potatoes, which must go in next.  I still need to clear a spot for them and get some dirt... maybe.  What do you think about trying to grow them in just wood chips (1/4") and aged (two seasons old) horse manure?  I thought about doing one box as an experiment this year.  I have more of those two things than I have dirt around here and while $35 a yard for planter mix is reasonable, it's not free.  The boxes use around a half yard and last year I had them where the new bed I just built is. 

Gawd I'm tired... but have a pretty nice little buzz going now, so complaints.  I think the aspirin is starting to kick in, too.  I have an offer to go jeeping tomorrow, something I love doing, but I just might be too tired to join them.  We shall see.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
Can you get straw? Do you have a high amount of rodents? And I have grown spuds in 6" dirt below the seed potatoes, then 6' dirt over the top, then the rest of the 3 feet in pine or fir shavings. Nice clean potatoes.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »
Can you get straw? Do you have a high amount of rodents? And I have grown spuds in 6" dirt below the seed potatoes, then 6' dirt over the top, then the rest of the 3 feet in pine or fir shavings. Nice clean potatoes.

Cedar
I definitely have a vole problem I'm working on getting under control, so yes, I have a problem.  The last time I used just the garden mix it was a little clay-y for the potatoes and while I still got good production, I think I'll mix in some mulch just to keep things a little looser for harvest time.  I'm hoping to help my neighbor with the rough cut wood with one of his projects soon so I can get more wood for more boxes.  I'm hoping to barter some of my taters this year for eggs, so I need more surplus than the last two years.

endurance

April 19, 2014
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2014, 05:31:33 PM »
Just a little bit of work in the last few days.  I was making mulch today for top dressing my annuals I planted in the last couple weeks when I got rained out.  I'm not complaining one bit, I'll always take the moisture.  I did notice the valve on one of my IBC totes is shot and leaking a steady drip, so that's something I'll have to get fixed asap or I risk losing the 150 gallons (just from the loafing shed alone) I've already collected off the last two snow storms.

My new Director of Insect Management was on the clock Friday:

I'm not certain, but I'm thinking this is quinoa:

(on the left, obviously everything else in the picture is strawberry plants)

Working on the irrigation for my new bed.  The first 20' were through an established bed and went so easy, the last 10' was through enough rock to build another 5' long rock wall. ::)  The joys of my property.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2014, 06:15:19 PM »
What is your little reptilian friend.

Cedar