Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Preps

Bone stock/broth

<< < (2/6) > >>

LvsChant:
Just a little bump... I have quite a few chicken carcasses and need to make soup stock...

I wonder if anyone has a really good vegetable stock recipe?

David in MN:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on April 25, 2018, 05:28:33 PM ---Just a little bump... I have quite a few chicken carcasses and need to make soup stock...

I wonder if anyone has a really good vegetable stock recipe?

--- End quote ---

Nope. There's not really a point. I guess you could make a stock with only veg but it would lack all the protein and collagen that make stock actually have body. It would taste fine but would lack that special something. It's also good to remember that while we Americans make chicken and beef stock there is no reason you can't make stock out of fish, pork (great for Mexican and East European cooking), or any other animal. For years high end restaurants have used veal stock as a secret weapon.

I wish it were other but I can't recommend vegetable stock. It's one of those things that's just not right. Sorry vegetarians. I don't mean to offend.

****If**** I did make a veggie stock it would include a high protein vegetable. For me that would mean broccoli stems. Over a long cook you might get a better result. But it still wouldn't be as good as a traditional bone broth. I have included broccoli stems in stocks for vegetable soups in the past and I don't notice a strong flavor. But it should add some body. YMMV.

LvsChant:
I have had occasions when I needed to cook with vege stock and have bought it in the stores... I agree about the superiority of the homemade chicken/beef stocks (and it is what I typically use for all my soup recipes). I was just hoping someone had a vege stock recipe that would be better than the stuff in the stores...

Carver:
I make veggie stock as much as bone broth. I'd avoid using too much cabbage as it easily overpowers the flavor. When I make bone broth I always break the chicken bones so the marrow is exposed. I make broth in the Instant Pot, usually from 2-12 hours. Afterwards the bones are so soft you can easily break a beef bone with your fingers, it crumbles into a chalk which goes into the compost. It is not meat or bone garbage, it is devoid of anything that rots, it is bone meal. No?

Prepper456:
i will have to start doing this.might have to get another freezer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version