Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Processing Food For Storage

fermented foods - what have you pickled?

(1/13) > >>

Morning Sunshine:
I love reading the dehydrating thread, so I decided to start a place for fermenting talk.  So share your tips, recipes, and favorite fermenting tools

----
As you know, I have been doing lemons for years (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=22990.msg252815#msg252815), and we love them.  We moved to limes and limequats easily as it is the same concept.  Every time I have tried sauerkraut on my own it fails (but always works with a teacher around!  go figure).
I did cucumber pickles last summer, and wish I had done more this summer, but forgot.  I added dill to them.

I fermented jalapeƱos this year, as a preservation for recipes.  I don't like to eat them by themselves, although one of these days I might try the pickles just to see if they effect me the same as fresh ones do.

I just tried a bottle of green beans, and I love the green beans, just plain no herbs or spices.

I did watermelon pickles also, 2 kinds.  One quart of plain and a quart with cinnamon and cloves.  The spiced ones are the ones my family likes, so I just made another 3 half-gallon batches.  I want us to be eating fermented foods every day as we have so many digestive problems around here.

xxdabroxx:
I've only done sauerkraut so far, purple and regular cabbage.  Basically chop it up, salt it, smash it, wait a bit then pack it in a jar and let it sit.  I used one of the fancy lids with the bubbler on top of  a mason jar.  Came out pretty good I think. 

DrJohn:
Cucumbers, carrots, string beans and zucchini so far!

Morning Sunshine:
carrots.  I really really want to do shredded carrots.  I forgot about those, I bet I can get my family to eat those also!

kckndrgn:
Kraut and pickles (cucumbers) has been about it for me.  I really loved the pickles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version