Energy Options > Wind Power

Dabbling in wind power maybe..

<< < (3/4) > >>

12th man:
I researched this quite a bit years ago...

Are you going to be connected to the grid? If yes, find the best incentive (tax brake or refund) out there. might be solar, might be wind. They wont let you connect to the grid without an inspection and certification, so you will need to hire someone to do it anyways.

If you are off grid...the wind generator is the least of your concerns. its the batteries and inverter control system that really costs a lot. Once you have that settled you can hook up anything to it quite easily, wind, solar, ???

I was interested in wind because i could build my own generation device(s). once i got past that and started looking at the equipment/inspections required to connect it, it didn't make sense financially.  If you are off grid, its big bucks and will take a long time to recoup vs a generator and energy efficient house. if you are on grid you will pay out the nose to get the 'certified' installers to do it for you, so it only makes sense if there is a good government incentive.

Of course -'It Depends' - if you are talking a 500sqft super efficient cabin the whole financial dynamic changes. And if you are going to have to pay to install Power from a mile way...it Depends.

What i have considered, but not researched, is a compromise of both...get get government incentive, but install switch gear so you can divert it to a secondary off grid system. maybe it goes in later, maybe it is a small battery bank for short term outages. then you could have the option of adding more 'cheap' generation devices to the battery system. if you ever get the money, or it becomes financially preferable, you can increase the battery system and go completely off grid.

for low wind speeds look at vertical axis generators.

Cedar:

--- Quote from: Mountain State Prepper on August 12, 2015, 01:14:31 PM ---nice, incorporates a genny too.   are you going totally off grid or just considering it?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 12th man on August 12, 2015, 01:22:22 PM ---Are you going to be connected to the grid?

--- End quote ---

If I am going to bother going part alternative energy, I believe I will be going full out, so yes, I will be going off-grid. My electrical needs are about 1/3 less than the average American family, I believe. The main drain would be my egg incubators. If I get the system, and I knew batteries and an inverter were going to be the most expensive parts, then I can add on as required.. and then I can move my system over to my cabin when it is built. It figure it will be at least two years, maybe three before I would need to move it. The whole thing may be totally cost prohibitive right now, but in the meanwhile as I have slack time, I may as well study up.

My heater, cooking (oven and stove), water heater, refrigerator are propane. Lights, laptop, SP's iPad, maybe a food processor, maybe a washer, maybe a freezer are what would take electric. I will be using a generator for building projects, and any possible topping up batteries.

I figured I was looking at least $800-1,200 in batteries. I believe I would get sealed ones, so I can keep them where they would be warmer.

Cedar

backwoods_engineer:

--- Quote from: Cedar on August 11, 2015, 08:24:00 PM ---Do I need to acquire an electrical degree? Do I need to import TG for a week?

--- End quote ---

Not necessary, but I suspect the latter would be a) highly enlightening, and based on my good impressions of her character from her posts on the Forum, b) likely a good time!

Cedar:

--- Quote from: backwoods_engineer on August 12, 2015, 03:53:30 PM ---Not necessary, but I suspect the latter would be a) highly enlightening, and based on my good impressions of her character from her posts on the Forum, b) likely a good time!

--- End quote ---

It would be a hoot to have her up here!!

Cedar

12th man:
If you will be building from scratch and going off grid, consider how much you can do with solar water. Put radiant water heat in, doesn't have to be pipes in the floor, i am using radiators in each room to cut down the cost. I am putting in a GSHP this year to replace the old oil boiler, but next year will be the solar water. which i will integrate with the GSHP. Now that i am too deep into it to turn back, i have wondered if i should have gone totally solar and used a propane water heater as back-up.

i think this is the best value out there. for a reasonable investment all of your hot water and heating needs are virtually free.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version