Author Topic: I found an interesting LED LANTERN/LIGHT with long life and waterproof  (Read 14954 times)

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: I found an interesting LED LANTERN/LIGHT with long life and waterproof
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Amazon or the distributor must be reading this thread  ;D

Thanks!

Not amazon.  It is sold through a 3rd party vendor.

They have a charger version too: https://www.amazon.com/UYLED-Professional-Waterproof-Portable-Lanterns/dp/B075JDS7KB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1506555750&sr=8-2&keywords=UYLED

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »
39 hours in and 2 flashes 25-50% charge remaining. This things turning out to be the little light that could.

46 hours in and 1 flash 0-25% charge remaining...I don't want to stress the battery any more because it's part of my preps, so on the charger it goes. I believe it would make 50 hours as stated.

Now, if I had a free one, I might do all kinds of bad things to it ;D but I'm not nutnfancy....

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »
What is the expected shelf life on a fully charged battery?don't know yet I would like to put a couple away against the next storm.

How long does it take to charge?put it on the charger at 8pm

Thanks!

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »
  My lamp is a bit less blinding and slightly warm to the touch on High power for 6 hours now....I say it.s a winner. One blue flash says 0 to 25% power left.Time to plug in the charger.

Thanks for doing the high power..so I don't have to stress the battery again.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »
Carl thanks
Over the years I've bought a ton of products you've recommended and all are top shelf...

Karma bro

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
Carl, I'm starting to think it's not a 18650, but 1 or more flat Li-ion cell phone batteries, possible?

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 04:10:25 AM »
I waited until today to buy a couple and they had popped up to $14.  Still seems a good buy, but that is a rapid 40% rise!  The seller must be testing the market to find an optimal price for volume-profit.

I think these may be handy night lights for the grandkids, of course for tent camping, power outage room light, and maybe a garage/under the car work light.  I delayed the shipping as I will be away this weekend but looking for to testing this out next week.  thanks Carl and Chad for your testing results!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 04:49:37 AM »
I waited until today to buy a couple and they had popped up to $14.  Still seems a good buy, but that is a rapid 40% rise!  The seller must be testing the market to find an optimal price for volume-profit.

I think these may be handy night lights for the grandkids, of course for tent camping, power outage room light, and maybe a garage/under the car work light.  I delayed the shipping as I will be away this weekend but looking for to testing this out next week.  thanks Carl and Chad for your testing results!

No problem,The $10 price was due to it being a 'NEW' item and they will adjust the price over time. I have,for years,been on a quest for the perfect light though my criteria wanders a bit as 'perfect' just is very elusive. They are still a great choice for a low priced weatherproof lamp (but a lanyard is needed)

As to the battery...as it is built in and not replaceable,it really doesn't matter ,I think I read somewhere that it was an 18650 though it could be a different packaging . Thinking about it ,the value of the battery alone makes the light a pretty awesome value.

My last thought is ...if price IS important...just put the light in your wish list on Amazon and they will alert you when price drops and it will when traffic to the lights page slows.I do this a lot as "NOW" always costs more for most any situation.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 06:34:29 PM »
Light fly across the room and stick to something?

I've got a small magnet that will just almost do that. 1.5" diameter and 3/4" thick. It was rated at some ridiculous pull strength like 300 pounds. I don't know if it will actually lift that much, but it's really hard to handle anywhere near ferrous metals.

These use 18650 cells?

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »
I've got a small magnet that will just almost do that. 1.5" diameter and 3/4" thick. It was rated at some ridiculous pull strength like 300 pounds. I don't know if it will actually lift that much, but it's really hard to handle anywhere near ferrous metals.

Just add one of these optional magnetic bases: https://youtube.com/watch?v=yM4Xe2c0B8M   :o

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 04:10:59 AM »

These use 18650 cells?

By the package size and rating they are 18650,but as they are not removable/replaceable it really does not matter.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2017, 03:40:21 AM »
By the package size and rating they are 18650,but as they are not removable/replaceable it really does not matter.

I fund that you can unscrew both ends of the UyLED lantern and the circuit board pulls out along slots in the side of the plastic cover/lens.  The battery is marked as 2000mAh, but looks like the wires are soldered on.  Dang, that would be nice to be able to replace that with a 3400mAh battery.

Overall I think this is a darn good little lantern for $14 (price has stayed stable for a while now).  The low light is plenty to navigate a dark house in a power outage , or in a tent when camping.  The high setting would be pretty good for general lighting of a 10'x10' room, task lighting for working on something at a table, or working under a vehicle.  I'll probably buy a few more of these for when the grandkids are over during power outage or when we go camping they each like to have their own light.  Small flashlights tend to get lost by the kids, so this UyLED lantern is perfect size to still be very handy, yet large enough it won't get lost easily.  And I appreciate the 180 degree lighting versus 360 degree of most lanterns the more I use it.  Nice to not get blinded while you are walking down a dark path, or are trying to work on something and don't need that bright light coming back into your eyes, too.

I like the simple, sturdy construction.  And if the battery every dies, it should not be a big deal to replace with a new one.  I may go ahead and "upgrade" one of mine now just to see if it works out well or not.  Any tips on soldering wire to a battery? Any reason not to replace the battery? 

I've soldered wire to wire and to terminals before, but not to batteries.  Anything to watch out for, types of solder the same? Generally, I do not like to fuss with equipment that already works well.  But these are cheap enough I don't mind experimenting, and if successful I would get about a 65% increase in light duration. Plus, I would have a proven technique for future repairs.  I have a couple of Panasonic flat tops I could use for this.

ETA: While checking the price of this lantern again, I searched for other 18650 lanterns and found this one for $14 as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Letoo-Portable-Rechargeable-Flashlights-Emergency/dp/B071VL9XPF/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1507369724&sr=1-9&keywords=18650+lantern

This looks EXACTLY like the Fenix CL25 which sells for $60.  The nice thing about this Leetgo (?) lantern is that the 18650 battery is removable, and it has the USB output port built in as well (just like the Fenix).  It comes with a 2000mAh battery but I will swap that out for a 3400 batt.

Normally I would not go for cheap China equipment, but I consider a lantern as a nice-to-have convenience and do not expect these to be much abused.  As long as they work they will be a convenience. My critical lights are Fenix (China but not cheap) HL60R headlamps, PD32 and E12 flashlights.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 04:05:18 AM by NWPilgrim »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 04:35:04 AM »
  I use 'regular' 60-40 electronics solder and my 140 watt Weller soldering gun so as to get maximum heat for solder flow and minimal contact time to accomplish the job with minimal heat/time and have lowest risk to cell or protective circuit damage.The cell will normally conduct heat away from the work area and so speed is best policy.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »
Could you solder or crimp terminals to the wires, and then to the battery pack, to make it easier to replace? Or put in a battery holder, if space permits?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
Could you solder or crimp terminals to the wires, and then to the battery pack, to make it easier to replace? Or put in a battery holder, if space permits?

It is always better to use a battery holder if space permits. If it were me,for this light,I would buy an 18650 with solder tabs already attached so I would only need to solder wire to tab. The tabs are welded,not soldered to batteries and a battery with tabs attached would be easier to work with and without danger to the battery as they are temperature sensitive.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2017, 01:54:04 PM »
  I use 'regular' 60-40 electronics solder and my 140 watt Weller soldering gun so as to get maximum heat for solder flow and minimal contact time to accomplish the job with minimal heat/time and have lowest risk to cell or protective circuit damage.The cell will normally conduct heat away from the work area and so speed is best policy.

Fantastic tip, thx again Carl!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2017, 06:29:45 AM »
  BEFORE YOU SOLDER....I found a 2600 Milliamp battery powered unit,looks the same,and has 2.1 Amp USB charge output as a battery bank too!
I have not tried it yet....$11

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TY2SMG?psc=1

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2017, 08:52:30 AM »
  BEFORE YOU SOLDER....I found a 2600 Milliamp battery powered unit,looks the same,and has 2.1 Amp USB charge output as a battery bank too!
I have not tried it yet....$11

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TY2SMG?psc=1

The best thing there is that the input charge rate is 2 Amps.  That is rare on devices like this. 

Coupled with a KTOR 10 watt crank and a suitable usb 2A charger, this would provide the ability to keep phone, baofeng uv-3, and other usb powered devices going indefinitely.  The 2 amp charge rate is critical to maximizing power generated by the crank per time. I have been experimenting with the KTOR for about a month and it is the real deal. But I can only keep it going at full for about 10 minutes at a time.  So I need to dump the power into a battery bank andvthen use that bank to power devices at their generally much slower charge rate. I have been using a dedicated bank that is bigger.  But this light looks about perfect for that given its charge rate and capacity.

Running the crank 3-4 times a day would produce 5+ Watt Hours.  From my experiments that is enough for light, comms, and gps. It takes more effort than one would think, but it works.

Will definitely need to get one of these lights to test.

https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Generator-Portable-Electronics-Including/dp/B00CTDW5TA/ref=sr_1_1?m=A1J4X2VGSGII6G&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1507559759&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-YUNSONG-Universal-Adapter-Smartphones/dp/B019C2B13G/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1507559820&sr=1-5&keywords=2+amp+usb+wall+charger

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »
The best thing there is that the input charge rate is 2 Amps.  That is rare on devices like this. 
Will definitely need to get one of these lights to test.

Well received one and no such luck. I did a full test of both discharge and charge.  For both it maxes out at just over 1 amp (~5 Watts) so is advertised at twice its actual capability.  Also, it has very conservative charging circuitry which cuts out charging fairly early.  I will test it some more to quantify how many watt-hours it will allow outputed.

Another downside is thatv he charging port cap is somewhat fragile plastic.  I dont think it would survive a drop on hard surface.  And once it breaks, there goes waterproofing.

On the plus side, the light is pretty cool.  The three brightness levels are distinct and of useful graduation.  The blinking emergency light function is quite eye catching; alternating colors.  I only wish they gave access to the red as a non-blinking option.  It would be useful for times when you want to retain night vision, e.g celestial navigstion. Greekman posted a similar one that does this a while back: https://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-BW-LT5-IP68-Waterproof-LED-Lamp-Light-2600mAh-Powerbank-Emergency-Camping-Light-p-1030512.html?rmmds=category.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:06:38 PM by iam4liberty »

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »
I monitored the light while charging and created a graph of amperage vs. time (elapsed minutes).

This is amperage into the unit from the charger (as opposed to energy drawn by the charger).  The total charge time from fully depleted was 2 hours and 22 minutes (142 minutes).  The amperage peaked at 1.17 amps.  Voltage at that point was 4.92 volts.  The area under the curve gives us total amp hours (count the number of boxes and multiply by 0.0333).  This comes out to almost exactly 2 Amp-Hours.  The unit has auto shut off, probably based on voltage, which helps it from being damaged by discharging too much.  That accounts for the missing 0.6 amp-hours.

So its true capabilities is about 1 Amp @ 5 Volt for a total of about 2 amp-hours.  Not bad from a functional standpoint but disappointing given its advertised capabilities.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2017, 04:48:54 AM »
  I do note that the first light linked to in this thread does have a continuous red light mode for night vision situations.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2017, 06:23:44 PM »
  I do note that the first light linked to in this thread does have a continuous red light mode for night vision situations.

Yeah, the first one looks like a real winner.  The second one isnt bad but not great.  You give up a good amount of useful functionality for a blah powerbank cspability.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2017, 06:41:39 PM »
Yeah, the first one looks like a real winner.  The second one isnt bad but not great.  You give up a good amount of useful functionality for a blah powerbank cspability.

Even a gold bar can have an ugly spot. I enjoy playing with lights and radios and have yet to find any that qualify as perfect.I do have a lot of 'runners up' .

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
So I also bought the light which was the original subject of this thread.  It is much nicer than the light with the charger.  The plastic is of a higher quality and is more durable.  Even the plastic cord that keeps the cap from getting lost is thicker.  And the light options are much more useful with the bright light being very bright and the solid red being a very good brightness for celestial navigation and other applications where you want to keep your eyes sensitive to white light sources.

I also ran a charging test.  The light has an automatic cut-off which appears to be voltage based.  I ran down the charge using the bright light until it auto turned off.  Then I turned it back on the lower light until that turned off and repeated this a few times.  So, it was discharged to about the highest level it could be.  It charges at a slower rate than the one with the charger, coming it at 2/3rds an amp at 5.11 Volts. So it is 3 to 3.5 Watt charging.  It took almost exactly 4 hours to completely charge. While it would be nicer to be a quicker 5 Watt, it is still quite acceptable. The end charge was approximately 2.3 Amp-Hours. The graph is below:

I agree with the positive sentiments above, this light is quite useful and well worth the $10-$15. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2017, 04:01:50 AM »
  Karma...Great work and graph makes data look better too.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2017, 08:08:40 AM »
mercy! you will make me buy one and i already have spent half of next month's budget! ;D

Greekman posted a similar one that does this a while back: https://www.banggood.com/BlitzWolf-BW-LT5-IP68-Waterproof-LED-Lamp-Light-2600mAh-Powerbank-Emergency-Camping-Light-p-1030512.html?rmmds=category.
well, no strange thing cos Blitzwold is Banggood's own brand, so the items are subcontracted.

also I would like to add that these lights make good gifts for.

Nice work with the graphs iam4liberty.

BTW, should we be starting a new thread on the  KTOR 10 watt crank charger? Seems quite promising and really performing