Author Topic: Can't get over ticks  (Read 46663 times)

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
  • Universal Man in Training
    • Freedom Louisiana
Re: Can't get over ticks
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
Ticks are very irritating in virginia in the summer time. The little lady and I went to the Manassas Civil War battle field and were covered head to toe in them. So was my little scotty dog!

I've never gotten over my disgust with them, I just accept its a fact of life.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:42 PM »
disgusting little creatures.

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
disgusting little creatures.

You really tend to think that when you've taken them all off, and you're like "Ok finally I'm good" then you realize later they're on other sensitive locations....

THATS why you always do a thorough check when you get back.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
You really tend to think that when you've taken them all off, and you're like "Ok finally I'm good" then you realize later they're on other sensitive locations....

< shudder >

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »
I was hiking and camping in Shenandoah a couple of years ago the ticks were all over the place. I woke up one morning and looked upward and between the tent and rainfly, I could the the shadows of what seemed like hundreds of ticks hanging there waiting. When I went to crawl out through the vestibule there were tons of them hanging there waiting to drop on me.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »
I was hiking and camping in Shenandoah a couple of years ago the ticks were all over the place. I woke up one morning and looked upward and between the tent and rainfly, I could the the shadows of what seemed like hundreds of ticks hanging there waiting. When I went to crawl out through the vestibule there were tons of them hanging there waiting to drop on me.
that is a vision from hell.

Offline The New Mike

• Survivor
    • Freedom Louisiana
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »

Nice! Last time I was in the Shenandoah (I should have gone more) it was winter time. Many rocks had massive icicles hanging off of them, which was pretty cool. Got some cool pictures of my dog scaling huge rocks. By scaling of course i mean picking him up and placing him on hard to reach places, or jumping over gaps with him in my arms hah. For a little turd he sure loves big hikes (or at least used to).

I've never been in the spring/summer time though. Always meant to... Supposedly this year was really really bad for ticks. I never had any issues this summer. I'm not entirely sure I found one on my dog all season....

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
Please forgive me!!!     I couldn't help myself!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tiPndMqxLQ

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2012, 01:18:39 AM »

Offline MALadyPrepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2012, 09:29:06 AM »
The ticks have been overwhelming in MA.  We have two black labs and when we run them in the woods, one will get covered with ticks and the other doesn't seem to pick up any.  I will pick up 2or 3 ticks and my husband doesn't get any.  I make an insect repellent spray with essential oils and I can vouch tha rose geranium essential oil deters ticks in our area.  The spray actually contains 3 parts lemon eucalyptus, 1 part rose geranium, 1 part citronella, 1 part black pepper, and 1 part cinnamon - works well on mosquito's also.   (1/2 cup distilled water, 1/4 cup alcohol, 21 drops lemon eucalyptus, 7 drops of each of the other eo's  Shake Well)

I spray the dog on the back of the head, chest, and collar and we have had good luck with it.

Offline baygal

• Survivor
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »
The spray actually contains 3 parts lemon eucalyptus, 1 part rose geranium, 1 part citronella, 1 part black pepper, and 1 part cinnamon - works well on mosquito's also.   (1/2 cup distilled water, 1/4 cup alcohol, 21 drops lemon eucalyptus, 7 drops of each of the other eo's  Shake Well)

Thanks for the recipe. How does it smell compared to Off?

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »
Panty hose solves the problem from the waist down. Seriously.

Offline DocRokRx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chemical Medic
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2012, 02:53:58 AM »
I think theyre finally gone for the season! I can shoot in the woods again!

Offline Dontforgetyourlipgloss

• Prepper
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »
Agggh-- On school camp i remember someone getting tick right in the corner of there eye yuck yuck yuck...

Nope, don't like them... here we burn them off.

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 01:26:22 PM »
I know this is a old thread BUT;
this past winter,2013-2014, I got ticks off my cats & me all winter  & I thought it was a bad winter. now, it's may 18  I get a couple off my boy cat daily-nothing has helped him,, the Girl cat I comb her at the door coming in.
I put them to a Bic lighter or in the microwave center on the glass. 7 seconds..that works too..when camping I have a baby food Jar with rubbing Alcohol in it.. fill that thing in the summer.
Keebler.

Offline GPSpokane

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »
I'm in the northwest. We have outside dogs on 10 acres. The Australian Shepherd/dingo hardly ever gets them but the Golden retriever/ Australian Shepherd gets several a day. I pick them off with my fingers (making sure I pinch at the head and get a little skin with it) and pile them up. Last week I sprayed some starting fluid (car not BBQ) on the pile so I could light them up instead of trading them each open and noticed that they all stopped moving instantly. I haven't tried it when they are attached to the dog but I wonder if it would make it easer to pull them off.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2014, 06:39:53 AM »
Respect the tick.... tuck in or duct tape long pants at ankles and when not hunting ( deer and critters can smell,you know) use OFF or better DEET. to make you less of a salad bar for bugs.

Tweezers ,while OK...often leave a bit of a well established bug in you. I have found the application of 'deep heating' muscle rub will cause Mr Tick to let got and try to head for redder pastures...that's when you get them off with less damage to your hide.

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »
These things are the greatest things since sliced bread!  So easy to use. Not effective though if the head is deeply buried.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001HRFXSO?pc_redir=1401496580&robot_redir=1

Offline msparks

• Survivor
    • Michael Sparks, Journey to success
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 08:23:20 AM »
Besides Lyme's disease we now have to worry about:

The Bourbon Virus which is deadly.

The Tick Bite Meat allergy (I think I would rather have the deadly virus than this) http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20140813/tick-bites-red-meat-allergy

Also Don't forget about the Rock Mountain Spotted Fever which is also a tick borne disease.

The best defense is a good offense. I treat all my outdoor gear with Permethrin, socks, shirts, pants, etc.

On our farm, we'll hopefully have at least chickens and even guinea hens to help with the tick problem.

Lastly, ticks aren't the problem, it's what they have fed on before you. Was reading that they are carriers of the disease that they get from another host. Especially the white footed mouse. So keep your rodent population in check (snakes, fox, and other predators are good even though they are bad.)

This is the stuff I use: http://amzn.to/1QAlSMO Permethrin SFR 36.8% permethrin Quart

YMMV