Community & Regional Connections > Region Six

Right to Farm Missouri

(1/3) > >>

JLMissouri:
I have done some reading on the proposed amendment to the Missouri constitution on the right to farm. While I am all for small farms even some big farms I don't think either is in any danger in Missouri which is very pro-farm and pro-small farm. This bill is very vague and it is being pushed heavily by big ag. So far my decision is to vote no, what do my fellow Missourians think?

Cedar:

--- Quote from: JLMissouri on July 25, 2014, 03:02:31 PM ---I have done some reading on the proposed amendment to the Missouri constitution on the right to farm. While I am all for small farms even some big farms I don't think either is in any danger in Missouri which is very pro-farm and pro-small farm. This bill is very vague and it is being pushed heavily by big ag. So far my decision is to vote no, what do my fellow Missourians think?

--- End quote ---

I am not there, but had to chime in. When has big Ag been for the little guy? It means there is very good benefits for them and historically means they get to push the little guy out of the competition. What is the bill number?

Cedar

JLMissouri:
It is a ballot measure:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/2014ballot/

Official Ballot Title
Constitutional Amendment 1

[Proposed by the 97th General Assembly (First Regular Session) CCS#2 for SS for HCS HJR Nos. 11 & 7]

Official Ballot Title:

Shall the Missouri Constitution be amended to ensure that the right of Missouri citizens to engage in agricultural production and ranching practices shall not be infringed?

The potential costs or savings to governmental entities are unknown, but likely limited unless the resolution leads to increased litigation costs and/or the loss of federal funding.

Fair Ballot Language:

A “yes” vote will amend the Missouri Constitution to guarantee the rights of Missourians to engage in farming and ranching practices, subject to any power given to local government under Article VI of the Missouri Constitution.

A “no” vote will not amend the Missouri Constitution regarding farming and ranching.

If passed, this measure will have no impact on taxes.

I agree that big ag is something to keep an eye on, even if you make your living farming conventionally the big wigs are very often not your friend. Missouri has been heading in the right direction legislatively for awhile now and this bill seems good on quick glance, but it could easily be used to advance commercial farming gone wrong.

r_w:
Baker creek says to vote no, too.

scottwold:
I too am confused on this.  I'm leaning towards NO, as I don't see what problem is being specifically addressed.  MO state legislature is very pro agriculture. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version