Site Suggestions, Support and Resources > Tech Support and Forum Bugs

unsecure site

(1/6) > >>

Carver:
How come Firefox warns me that this is an unsecure site? What does that mean? Should I be concerned?

Mr. Bill:
It's because we use HTTP (unencrypted) instead of HTTPS (encrypted) for communication between your browser and the site.

We did set up HTTPS here, but it broke lots of things.  Basically we have to restart from scratch -- reinstall the forum software, probably move it to its own subdomain, and import all the data from the old forum.  That's a giant job and nobody has gotten started on it yet.

What it means in practice is that a man-in-the-middle could, theoretically, intercept your login info, watch as you write posts and personal messages, and generally be a snoop.

The value of HTTPS in preventing that depends on whether you think HTTPS has already been cracked.  Anyway, if Bad Guys really want access to our forum secrets, they would probably just try to hack our server (or if they are government Bad Guys, subpoena a copy of all our files) rather than calling in the NSA.

Carver:

--- Quote --- Basically we have to restart from scratch
--- End quote ---
Maybe it's time to do that. This site is like one of hundreds of vacant shopping malls across the country. Just look at all the deserted topics, some haven't been active in years. And many of the posts are dead to responses as a vast number of those who posted are no longer active. Archive this and start from scratch with a leaner and cleaner forum for the 2020's.

This forum needs to dust off its' rest home atmosphere and adapt to a different survival preparedness environment that is different from the one that spawned it.

Mr. Bill:
Well, I didn't mean restart everything from scratch.  Just the software.

I wouldn't want to lose our old posts.  A forum isn't supposed to be like a Facebook group, where any discussion older than 3 days is effectively dead and nearly impossible to find.  We're also a database of information.  A forum is sorta halfway between a Facebook group and a wiki.

The deserted topics do get attention -- I mean, for example, I just posted yesterday how our September 2017 discussion of ATO and ATC blade fuses is the most popular thread on the whole site, according to Google.  We have topics that have been getting regular posts for many years, and we have new members who go browsing through the forum and resurrect old topics.

The prepping environment has changed over the past decade, but recipes and canning instructions aren't out of date, gardening tips are still just as valid as when they were posted, discussions about what is the best firearm or the best knife are eternal.

The thing is, we don't gain anything by deleting all that.  It's there.  Members can use it or ignore it, as they prefer.

Redman:

--- Quote from: Mr. Bill on January 08, 2020, 10:12:23 PM ---Well, I didn't mean restart everything from scratch.  Just the software.

I wouldn't want to lose our old posts.  A forum isn't supposed to be like a Facebook group, where any discussion older than 3 days is effectively dead and nearly impossible to find.  We're also a database of information.  A forum is sorta halfway between a Facebook group and a wiki.

The deserted topics do get attention -- I mean, for example, I just posted yesterday how our September 2017 discussion of ATO and ATC blade fuses is the most popular thread on the whole site, according to Google.  We have topics that have been getting regular posts for many years, and we have new members who go browsing through the forum and resurrect old topics.

The prepping environment has changed over the past decade, but recipes and canning instructions aren't out of date, gardening tips are still just as valid as when they were posted, discussions about what is the best firearm or the best knife are eternal.

The thing is, we don't gain anything by deleting all that.  It's there.  Members can use it or ignore it, as they prefer.

--- End quote ---

:clap: :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version