Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Bows and Arrows

tips and broadheads

(1/4) > >>

surfivor:
 I have been mostly doing some target practice with field points, but I noticed at the store that broad heads are pretty expensive and the guy said you can only really use them once. I am curious on what the options are for tips and so on and may need to research that. They have these bludgeon points of some kind for small game, and they told me the field points I use for target practice might be good for small game as well.

I bought some beman carbon arrows on sale last week for $38/dozen. They are regularly $60/dozen so that seemed like a good deal.

I have 40+ arrows or so now total. I had lost a few, but I have been getting better at not doing that. I bought a shot blocker that is thicker and denser. The other one I had, the arrows started to go through it and it was not a dense material.
I think this damaged some of the feather material by going all the way through.

This guy gave me an old recurve bow that is about 35 pound pull. It's 3 piece and kind of heavy and long, I haven't really set that up and have been using my compound bow mainly, though I did have a guy order me a string for it. I was thinking of buying arrows for the recurve bow, but it needs feather arrows and there was none of those on sale, so I spent money on the other arrows instead.

DeltaEchoVictor:
Surfivor there are other options besides the single use, expensive three heads to a pack type you see in most archery shops.  It isn't necessary to buy ultra expensive single use heads to have a high quality set up, don't buy into the hype.  It's there to sell you expensive crap & to keep you coming back with more money.

Here are three broadheads & two small game points that I use regularly & they're all multiple use heads.

From left to right...Ribtek broadhead, Stos broadhead, Grizzly broadhead, Ace Hex Head (bunny buster), A .38 shell casing.

I use these on wooden arrows but they can be adapted for use on carbon/aluminum by gluing them to one of these or the short version.

The broadheads are all high carbon steel & can be reused multiple times after resharpening.

The hex heads are available in a screw in version from 3 Rivers Archery or Ace Archery Tackle.  I've done tons of business with both companies & they're both top notch.

When you get ready to build wooden arrows for your recurve let me know & I can help you with that too.

surfivor:
I did some google searches on the Ribtek broadhead, Stos broadhead, Grizzly broadheads and they seem to range from about $1.60 a tip to maybe $5 at the most. The ones at the store where like $10 a piece.

surfivor:
 How can I put one of those broadheads on a carbon arrow that has the screw in type of connector ?

on the very bottom of this page they have broadhead adapters for $1 each, maybe that's the way to go ?
http://www.nzap.co.nz/bheads_trad.php

some others, that first page is in Australia:
http://www.braveheartarchery.us/new_page_23.htm

here's some on the 3 rivers site:
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Broadheads+Points+Inserts+%26+Adapters+Glue-In%2C+Glue-On++Broadhead_c57_s47_p258_iBA-X_product.html

I don't understand what 26 grains etc. means or how to tell which ones fit my arrows with which broadheads

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: surfivor on August 03, 2009, 04:13:10 AM --- How can I put one of those broadheads on a carbon arrow that has the screw in type of connector ?
I answered this question in my first response to you.

I don't understand what 26 grains etc. means or how to tell which ones fit my arrows with which broadheads.
Any of the adapters I linked in my first response to you will fit a glue on broadhead & allow you to screw it into a carbon or aluminum arrow.  26 grains means the adapter will weigh 26 grains, that's all.  It has nothing to do with the size of the adapter or the broadhead.  Aluminum adapters weigh less, steel adapters weigh more.  The 26gr. needs to be factored into figuring out what spine arrow you need to shoot out of your bow.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version