Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Bows and Arrows

crossbows

(1/5) > >>

Bogota:
I've been thinking about getting a crossbow.  The way I see it a bow is a much better way to hunt in a survival situation.  You can reuse arrows and bolts, and it doesn't make enough noise to draw attention to your location.  I have never bow hunted, and really don't have the time to train myself to use a bow.  So that got me to thinking about a crossbow.  I've been looking around the internet at crossbows and have come to the conclusion that I don't know enough to even be "shopping".  I'm looking for crossbow recommendations.  I'm hoping that I can get something for less than $400, but I'll just save longer if that's not possible.  I don't need, or want "top of the line" just a good serviceable crossbow. 

Newb Survivalist:
i have no information about crossbows myself, but i am interested.

anyone out there with xbow experience?

gary4447:
Don't think of a crossbow as a silent rifle.  The effective range of a crossbow is the same or slightly less than that of a quality compound bow.  That is so because the crossbow is noisier when fired than a compound or traditional bow thus alerting the game to the shot.  Also even though a crossbow has about twice the draw weight as a compound bow the draw stroke is about half that of a compound.  Since the draw stroke is shorter the arrow stores less energy when released thus limiting its effective range.

Horton, Barnett, PSE, Excalibur all make quality crossbows as do many others.  Excalibur is the choice for my next crossbow.

A crossbow is easier to learn to shoot since it aims and fires like a rifle.  However because it has to be re cocked for each shot think of it as a muzzleloader rather than a repeater.  The compound can be shot at a faster rate than a crossbow but requires more practice to be accurate.

I would suggest that you visit some archery ranges and try different archery tackle then decide what fits you best.

MyEyesAreOpen1776:
I believe crossbows are ideal for survival situations as well.  Where a crossbow might have more of a draw weight than a compound bow, it can still be much easier for certain individuals to draw with a crossbow.  You can have a linebacker unable to pull back a compound bow, where a 13 year old string bean pulls the same bow with ease - you use muscles that you don't normally use with a compound bow to draw.  Some can step on the compound bow and and pull a 170lb draw with both hands easier.  One feature that is very attractive about a some crossbows is a cranking mechanism that allows you to draw the bow with the strength of your index finger.  If I was injured in a SHTF scenario, my wife could easily hunt for our food as well.  When you think about it, using and burning as little energy as possible is crucial, and the food you consume goes further to fuel your body. 

Juggernaut:
I've heard the lifetime off a crossbow is much shorter than that of a comound, long or recurve because of the way it fires and the drawlength and whatnot. is this fact or fiction?  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version