Author Topic: PX-777, inexpensive handheld radio fro new Hams  (Read 11971 times)

Offline Gadget

• Senior Survivalist
    • Your Best Defense
PX-777, inexpensive handheld radio fro new Hams
« on: September 19, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »
I recently ordered a Puxing PX-777 handheld 2m radio off Ebay. It was @ $70 with shipping. It seems like a good radio for a beginner. It's light weight, small, and relatively easy to program. It has good sound on receive and transmit.

You can also program the MURS frequencies in them, but you have to have it set on low power to use it "technically" since MURS is limited to 3 watts. I think I will be ordering a few more as I can for the rest of the family to use on MURS for a backup comm system since they don't seem to be too interested in getting their Ham licenses.

Just thought I'd pass on info about a good deal when I found one.

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
    • murs-radio.com - Two way radio and security equipment
Re: PX-777, inexpensive handheld radio fro new Hams
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 06:43:22 AM »
I agree, they are decent inexpensive radios with a lot of features. Been testing out a pair for the last few weeks. I am working out a deal with an importer now to offer them for sale at my website. (PM me if interested and I'll see if I can put together a TSP group buy on the PC-777 PLUS.)

- Rob

FYI: The PX-777 *PLUS* is the only version that is FCC approved and is allowed to be imported to the US. Approval isn't necessary for ham use but is required for other frequencies.

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:22:46 AM »
Still have a few more spots in the group buy available. PM me if interested.

GOOD SITE - Operational Notes for the Puxing PX-777:
http://www.hotsolder.com/articles/index.php?page=puxing-px-777-operation-notes

- Rob

Link to radio info: http://shop.murs-radio.com/Puxing-PX-777-PLUS-VHF-Hand-Held-Radio-PX777PLUS.htm

Offline WoG

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »
Seems like its $80 total on ebay - (53+17 shipping, etc.) - Is that the lowest anyone has found for one?

6xddx6

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
Seems like its $80 total on ebay - (53+17 shipping, etc.) - Is that the lowest anyone has found for one?

Be careful ordering the ones off eBay. Most of them are not FCC certified. For a couple of bucks more you can find one that is and not have to worry about it getting confiscated when it passes through US customs as most ship from China. (This is a rare occurrence but it could happen.) Only FCC certified radios may be legally imported even though they can be used for amateur radio with no problem once they arrive. Your choice, just friendly information.  ;)

~ 6

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:24:46 PM »
This must be a real popular handheld; the murs-radio website shows them as out of stock. I haven't made the move towards ham radio as of yet, but I think I should, and will be looking into the licensing procedures today. Our BOL is pretty remote, but is within distance of cell signal if you stand in the right place. But if power goes down, or the SHTF, I want to be able to communicate with the outside world for updates, etc.

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:28:12 PM »
This must be a real popular handheld; the murs-radio website shows them as out of stock.

Very true. There was a large demand for them but I am working right now with the manufacturer to acquire some more. I hope to see them shortly after Christmas.

- Rob

Offline fndrbndr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
I was going to pick up a Yaesu VX-7R for my first radio, but I hear a lot of good things about the PX-777's...I think this will probably be my first ham acquisition.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »
Wow thats much more affordable.  I'm looking for something in the 200 range, I know I cant get the big boy that I want, but whats good in that range?

Offline k8hid

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »
Hey Rob:

I got the pair of PX-777 you sent while I was home on leave. They look great but I did not get time to fire them up. You know anything

about the KG-UVD1P TX/RX 136-174 216-280 someone is selling on eBay? It sounds like a great combo but might not be FCC type

excepted like your gear.

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 06:52:23 AM »
Hey Rob:

I got the pair of PX-777 you sent while I was home on leave. They look great but I did not get time to fire them up. You know anything

about the KG-UVD1P TX/RX 136-174 216-280 someone is selling on eBay? It sounds like a great combo but might not be FCC type excepted like your gear.

There are very, very few Asian radios that are FCC certified unfortunately (the KG-UVD1P isn't). It costs in the neighborhood of $10,000 to obtain the certification. The certification is supposed to assure that the radio operates under certain parameters, such as spectral purity, so that it doesn't transmit dirty signals across the band and cause interference.

Right now those Asian manufacturers don't see a huge benefit in obtaining certification because they are able to take advantage of eBay and similar sites to sell their goods worldwide. Not every country regulates its telecommunications rigidly and many countries are more lax in their enforcement than the US.

Now while you can legally use a non-certified radio operating properly (cleanly) on amateur radio in the US, its importation is not legal (and could, but rarely happens, be confiscated at Customs). So the ownership of a non-certified radio operating on amateur frequencies is OK if you are able to obtain one.

The problem that arises is this... As an amateur you are still required to meet certain transmitter specifications. If the radio you purchased is causing out of band interference you have just raised your profile with the authorities. For example, the 2 meter amateur band is sandwiched in between two military bands. Above that you have numerous public safety agencies (police, fire, EMS, etc.) operating there.  If you are using a "dirty" transmitter you could very conceivably cause interference to those services.

As you would expect, you would more likely be looked upon by the FCC with more sympathy (READ: small or no fines, just cease operations) if you have a certified radio than if you had one that wasn't.

So, it is up to the individual to determine whether it is worth using a non-certified radio or not. But I do think that it is just a matter of time before you will see more certified radios on the US market.

- Rob

Offline rhaig

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 08:04:05 AM »
There are very, very few Asian radios that are FCC certified unfortunately (the KG-UVD1P isn't).

my wouxun has the FCC sticker on it.  wouxun is trying very hard to be a big player in the import ham radio market.  They are developing a mobile that has features like the big-three brands mobile dual-banders, but for a fraction of the cost.  (they're aiming for sub-300)

I bought my wouxun from the local ham radio store for $129 about 2 months ago.  They may have gotten the cert since you made this post 6 months ago.

I have a friend that is planning on getting their mobile rig when it's released, and I'm going to wait for his to play with it.  I'm wondering of they're going to get into HF at all.

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
my wouxun has the FCC sticker on it.

It does now. At the time the above post was posted the unit had not yet received FCC certification. There are a number of them with FCC certification including the TYT TH-UVF1 dual band transceiver.

- Rob