Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The HAM Radio Board

Where to start?

(1/3) > >>

Red Dog:
I'm in the earliest stages of trying to figure this whole HAM thing out. What are some good sites, books, or other sources of info for somebody who doesn't even know where to start looking for info on this stuff. I'm talking real basics like what HAM stands for. :)

adp113:
As for what HAM stands for, there are many variation on this one.

First, do you know any local hams that could help you.  This is the best help.  Or, find a local club.

Check out these sites
www.arrl.org - best reference
www.qrz.com
http://www.hamdepot.com/states/va.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ham_radio

Ham radio is a licensed service, licensed by the FCC, so you will need to take a test that is given by a local radio club.  The tests are not difficult, there are different classes of license each test being more difficult than the last.

Radios start at about $100 and go from there.  Depending on the radio, transmitting band, transmitting power, and transmitting mode you can talk across the street, across town, across the country, or around the world.

June 27th and 28th is ham radio field day.  If you can find a local club that is setting up for field day, I would suggest showing up and watching, ask questions, and have fun.

Last thing, do you own a radio scanner?  If you do, scan 144mhz to 148mhz, you should hear ham radio in action.

Red Dog:
Thanks adp. I met some local operators recently and they mentioned a local club. I'll have to check with them and see if there is anything going on locally for the field day. I'll check out the links thanks again.

adp113:
Having someone local "Elmer" you in the hobby is the best way to get started and avoid buying costly stuff you don't need or won't use.  It's a good way to get cheap or free antenna and odds and ends.  I got into it about 14 years ago, a guy at work got me started.  It's a lot of fun and is pretty useful as well.  Just got my wife licensed last year.

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: Red Dog on June 14, 2009, 06:59:53 AM ---I'm in the earliest stages of trying to figure this whole HAM thing out. What are some good sites, books, or other sources of info for somebody who doesn't even know where to start looking for info on this stuff. I'm talking real basics like what HAM stands for. :)

--- End quote ---
Check out the Getting Started In HAM Radio Primer in The Repository.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version