Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > The HAM Radio Board

where to get info on testing for ham license?

<< < (3/3)

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: HumeMan on March 09, 2009, 03:22:26 PM ---So how much does it cost to get into HAM?  Could I build an okay beginners desktop system for under say, $300?  I see online hand held units for about that much.  Just curious about the entry cost.  Thanks.

--- End quote ---
$14 for the test.

$0 to download Echolink.

To use Echolink you must have a valid Callsign & you must be in the FCC database.  They will verify your license information.

As far as radios go, you can go as cheap or as expensive as you like.  There are some very reasonably priced HT's on the market right now that are packed with features.  If you want a mobile set up for your car...same deal applies.  Just depends on how much you want to spend really.

HumeMan:
<deleted question>

Actually, instead of asking a hundred more small questions, I'm just going to spend some time on wikipedia.   :)

Patriot:Ex Machina:
Also check this website:
www.qrz.com

I've found it to be quite helpful.

bonnie:

--- Quote from: Uncle Charlie on March 01, 2009, 10:53:18 PM ---When are they supposed to change the question pool again?

--- End quote ---

Below are the dates for the current question pools:

Technician Class Question Pool, effective July 1, 2006, valid until June 30, 2010

General Class Question Pool, effective July 1, 2007, valid until June 30, 2011

Extra Class Question Pool, effective July 1, 2008 valid until June 30, 2012

If they make major changes to the licensing classes like when they eliminated the novice, tech plus and advanced and when the eliminated the code, they usually adjust the dates that pools are valid because of significant rule changes.  I don't think there are any more major changes that expected to be upcoming.

Bonnie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version