Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

UnderGround HF Antenna ,40 meter Loop

<< < (3/3)

exSun:
Shallow, buried antennas were studied by (IIRC) Eyring Research Institute in the early '80s. They were of interest to the Air Force, since they offered survivablity against blasts that above ground antennas don't. The idea was backup HF links for missile sites. I haven't heard of ERI for a decade or two - either they went out of business, or what they found worked so well it went black. Your guess as to which.

Carl:

--- Quote from: exSun on August 24, 2014, 05:29:26 PM ---Shallow, buried antennas were studied by (IIRC) Eyring Research Institute in the early '80s. They were of interest to the Air Force, since they offered survivablity against blasts that above ground antennas don't. The idea was backup HF links for missile sites. I haven't heard of ERI for a decade or two - either they went out of business, or what they found worked so well it went black. Your guess as to which.

--- End quote ---

My first one was a buried loop for CB radio to try to maintain contact with spelunkers in Virginia( late 70's). It worked OK ,but it was found that UHF did penetrate ground better ( as far as 3 miles as best I remember) and the same antenna was pressed into service without so much as an SWR check...those were the good old days.

Carl:
Antennas even work underground...

armymars:
  The best on the ground or under ground antennas are CCD antennas. The current has a much low peak so less loss. They are 1 wave length long for a dipole and a pain to build. Each segment of wire and a capacitor make up a resonant circuit then you have to add a resistor across the cap.  to bleed off static. This has to be water tight, but it does work well. 73

merlin:
Hi, we have a group on Facebook about buried antennas

https://www.facebook.com/groups/earthprobes/

73's
John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version