Author Topic: Bamboo arrows  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
Bamboo arrows
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:51:01 PM »
Since the Evil Overlord has gotten me into traditional archery (thanks DEV, just what my wallet needed, another hole! ;)), I have been thinking of making some arrows, and I really like the sound of the bamboo arrows (strong, light, cheap, etc). Does anyone have any experience with them?
You can get 100 shafts of pre-straightened, tempered bamboo, delivered, for around $150 on Ebay.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Bamboo arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 03:48:19 PM »
Since the Evil Overlord has gotten me into traditional archery (thanks DEV, just what my wallet needed, another hole! ;)), I have been thinking of making some arrows, and I really like the sound of the bamboo arrows (strong, light, cheap, etc). Does anyone have any experience with them?
You can get 100 shafts of pre-straightened, tempered bamboo, delivered, for around $150 on Ebay.
Heh, I do what I can. ;)

I haven't used bamboo but I would caution that your arrows & bow need to be tuned together.  I'd wait until you've secured a trad bow before ordering arrows brother.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
Re: Bamboo arrows
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »
If you do get to using bamboo or, more liekly here in the states, river cane...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000071;p=0

I messed around with this a little bit straightening some cane for atlatl darts.  It really cool how the cane gets rubbery when it's heated.  Once it cools, it's just as hard as it started.

I haven't shot any cane arrows though.  I am thinking about planting some cane just so I have a readily supply of shafting material in the PAW.