Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

Dealing with COVID-19 Overload

<< < (6/7) > >>

Morning Sunshine:

--- Quote from: theBINKYhunter on April 07, 2020, 07:49:07 AM ---New York is throwing out the idea of a medical draft: https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/218-20/mayor-de-blasio-calls-draft-essential-medical-personnel

Want to guess how good that's going to go over? Not well. Nurses and Doctors are already pissed because of how unprepared the hospitals and administration were for this. Just go over to r/nursing on reddit and read some of the horror stories of what's going on: https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/

--- End quote ---

oh wow.  First thought: for a bunch of people worried that Trump is going to go full-dictator, they sure seem to get there first....

also, I would NOT want an unwilling doctor/nurse helping me anywhere or anytime... especially in a life/death situation.  My kids pediatrician when they were very young was great; loved him.  His receptionist - not even his nurse or PA or anything - his RECEPTIONIST always looked and acted like she hated being there, hated kids, hated dealing with parents, and had a sneer on her lips that looked like she smelled something nasty.  It made me not want to go there.  I cannot imagine a doctor or a nurse with that attitude.

David in MN:

--- Quote from: theBINKYhunter on April 07, 2020, 07:49:07 AM ---This is not meant to sound like an ass so please keep that in mind with what I'm about to say:

Stop comparing civilian medical personnel to soldiers. These are not combat troops. These are not people who signed up to go to war to save lives. They are people who decided to do a job for whatever reason and no where at any time did the majority (I'll not say most because I can't prove it) of them think 'I'm going to sacrifice my life today'.

New York is throwing out the idea of a medical draft: https://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/218-20/mayor-de-blasio-calls-draft-essential-medical-personnel

Want to guess how good that's going to go over? Not well. Nurses and Doctors are already pissed because of how unprepared the hospitals and administration were for this. Just go over to r/nursing on reddit and read some of the horror stories of what's going on: https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/

I'm not saying this to be a jerk: nurses are not heroes right now. They're people who were put into a terrible situation and their employers, who had a responsibility to protect them with proper PPE, have utterly failed. I don't know what the aftermath of this is going to look like but I hope it's not pretty for a lot of hospitals and administration (to be clear I'm talking about being held responsible, not physical harm/witch hunting). If you really want to make the military comparison do it right and compare them to conscripted troops, but ones who have a terrible choices (paycheck and potential loss of life, or quit and be out a job?)

I get the sentiment, but it's wrong. They're not troops, plain and simple. I fear that continually comparing them to combat medics will skew the perception of our medical staff and place them in a box that they don't belong in and set future expectations that should not be there.

--- End quote ---

Makes sense to me. I don't think you're off base. It's a metaphor and all metaphors suffer imperfection. I think it just helps people like me to rewire the brain that we need to do what we can to support our medical infrastructure the same way we support our combat vets. It's a little harder because I can't organize a charity shooting event or do a baked goods raffle in these times but it doesn't hurt for those of us who can to take a minute and ask what we can do to lend a hand. And for those of us who have family in the medical field this has the same feel as watching our family members deploy to combat. I've done both so the language is often blurry.

LvsChant:
Agreed, Binky.

I can't really get my head around why it took so long for the healthcare folks to see that this was serious. In the time between when Wuhan shut down and now, there should have been some way to beg, borrow, steal, ...get the MyPillow guy up and running to get PPE for the staff. Wouldn't you think???

I will say, based on my experience with family members in the healthcare profession, they were completely unimpressed when I broached the subject and thought I was a bit tin-foil-hattish to be worrying about this virus (It's just like the flu -- don't get your panties in a twist!). The realization that this was a different thing came WAAAAY late for them. What was it? Arrogance? The idea that a non-health professional could know something that they didn't just didn't compute? Has anyone else experienced this?

I mean: I was sounding the alarm with my family at the end of January... maybe it was just too soon?

Stwood:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on April 07, 2020, 07:17:56 PM ---Agreed, Binky.

I can't really get my head around why it took so long for the healthcare folks to see that this was serious. In the time between when Wuhan shut down and now, there should have been some way to beg, borrow, steal, ...get the MyPillow guy up and running to get PPE for the staff. Wouldn't you think???

I will say, based on my experience with family members in the healthcare profession, they were completely unimpressed when I broached the subject and thought I was a bit tin-foil-hattish to be worrying about this virus (It's just like the flu -- don't get your panties in a twist!). The realization that this was a different thing came WAAAAY late for them. What was it? Arrogance? The idea that a non-health professional could know something that they didn't just didn't compute? Has anyone else experienced this?

I mean: I was sounding the alarm with my family at the end of January... maybe it was just too soon?

--- End quote ---

Depending on what it is, and what business, some that are in the business always tend to look down their nose at people that are not *in* the business.
Healthcare
Bridge builders
Etc
Etc

theBINKYhunter:
Not sure why they turned their nose up at you. I should have paid closer attention and admittedly didn't. I've commented in another thread that our preps for a viral, air born contagion are non existent in my home. I can plug a gunshot would with my preps but I can't give you a mask. This has revealed a gaping hole in my preps. That being said for those that really took this seriously early on, I applaud you. I hope it never happens again but if it does I hope that I'm in the group that saw it coming and was ready.

I agree with Stwood and liken it to Jack's 'powdered butt' syndrome that parents have towards their kids. You'll never be taken seriously because they 'know more than you'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version