Farm, Garden and The Land > Show Us Your Garden

QuiltingB's garden

(1/3) > >>

QuiltingB:
I so enjoy looking at other people's garden pics and thought I would add mine.

We finally got my new greenhouse finished.  I am surprised that a flat roof works so well - it gets HOT in there!  It is made with PVC clear wavy panels from Home Depot.  When it is 60 degrees outside, it is over 100 degrees inside - but doesn't really feel like it.  I had to hang some sun screen fabric up on the roof and west side.

It is 8 x 12.  I couldn't talk husband into trying to make roof vents - so all I got was that small window on the front edge for cooling in the summer.  This side has a workbench, a shelf wraps all around the inside at about 5 feet, and the other side is for planting in the ground - I figured that I need it after this surprisingly cold winter and 3 serious snow events with accumulation where we usually get one every 5 years or so with no real accumulation - ain't 'global warming grand'.  The cabbage and onions and turnips and some of the spinach will still have to be outside - for space considerations.  It's a bit close to the neighbor - who just built an add-on to his house - but it is the only area that gets a decent amount of winter sun.  Out here we can build what we want - no nosy govt agencies or home owner groups - just gotta hope you have decent and reasonable neighbors!

We have gardened the sunken area in front of the greenhouse for over 10 years - adding a bit of compost each year, but after super-horse-poop-composting it last year, I came to really realize how important it is to have an area that is never stepped on - the soil is so wonderfully loose.  Since I spent all of my money on the green house, I had to look for a no-cost way of raising a bed - so I sent my boys out into the woods where the loggers recently cleared out the pines and they dragged these nice long logs in - some thicker than others - but it got the job done.  In this pic the beds are not yet finished - still had some of the cabbage and onions to pull and a bit more to hand-turn over.

In the very front left row, you can see a few eggplant seedlings I put out - I am leaving everything under cloches made of cut-off 2 liter soda bottles with the lids OFF.  I planted even though the end-caps aren't put in the raised beds yet - hopefully we can place them without hurting the plants. It is still getting into the low 40s at night.  An oak leaf mulch covers the area that I am done turning over.  I also have some turnips going to seed - I only grow heirloom vegs so I have to leave them alone until the seeds are done.  I stick marigolds all over as bug repellants.

Each bed is about 30 to 36 inches by about 28 feet.  I am laying newspaper between the beds and covering it with old hay - to kill that nasty chick weed and feed the earth worms - you can see it near the top - between the center and left beds.  I don't want seeds from weeds blowing all over the beds.  Gotta finish the rest of the walk areas.

Here is another view of my raised beds - shot from the corner of the greenhouse.  To the left of the 3rd raised bed, you can see a newly plowed area where we have about 3 dozen tomato plants.  In the top center is the back garden - it consists of 3 raised beds - currently raised on one side - but I have extra long logs and plan to place 2 logs on top of each other on the non-supported sides of the first 2 raised rows - staked up to stay in place.  The back area is currently heavily manured and I am going to try indian flint corn this year there instead of sweet corn - plan to make my own cornmeal.  I like to plant pole beans that I let dry on the vine and pumpkins in the corn - this year I am going to try a pole cowpea.  I don't have to walk thru the area so much if I just let the beans grow to dry.  This back garden is currently winter stuff - spinach,lettuce, peas, fava beans, onions, carrots and turnips, along with garlic and lots of onions from seeds - they don't seem to want to get big - I'm still working on growing onions - didn't used to have bulbing problems years ago in the Dallas area.  I planted this area the first week of February - right  before 3 snows!  It usually only snows once every 4 or 5 years here.  The seeds stayed dormant in the cold, wet ground for a month - they popped up the first week of March - at which time they should have been half grown.  This winter, that stuff goes in the greenhouse.

This year's horse manure compost pile - we had 2 good years of horse poop from a neighbor.  But, alas, they got rid of their coralled horses and next hear it is back to just whatever compost I can produe and the cheap $1.25 bags of cow compost from Lowe's.

I will be planting more tomatoes, ground cherries, lots of different peppers, 4 types of summer squash, long Japanese cukes, Waltham Butternut and long Thai beans in the raised beds - the butternut, long beans and cukes are going to grow on a 5' high 15' long raised fence held in place with t-posts in the middle of the first raised bed.  Off the the very left of the new tomato section and raised beds is a large area where I plant watermelons, cantaloupe and about 5 types of large winter squash.  (I always hand pollinate my squashes and mark the few squashes I pollinate - books say that squash don't degenerate if you only keep a few seeds - not like corn or other plants that you have to get a broad scope of seeds for genetics sake).  I don't have room for all of the bush beans I want to grow -  may just have to plant them between winter squash and watermelons and try to keep the vines off of them - or since they are about 60 day crops, maybe squeeze some in inbetween tomatoes that burn up in August and end of Sept when I plant my winter stuff.  My husband figures that the more yard I plow up, the less grass he has to worry about keeping mowed.  We do have a somewhat serious copperhead problem around here though - I always kill several in my garden each year and lots more in the yard - so I can't let things get too thick. Always have to watch where my hand is going when I reach down to the ground in the garden.   Thankfully they can't get up into plants like the other snakes around here - they, along with the coral snakes here are ground dwellers.  We have trouble telling king snakes and other good snakes from water mocassins - unless you get real close to them - you can't see the pits or unless you poke one in the mouth, you can't see if it has fangs.  Yuck.  The copperheads are much more frequent - we only occassionally find a black snake around here or hanging from a fruit tree.  But, I digress.  During the summer, I hand small bars of hotel soap from tree limbs along the tree line to try to keep the deer out of the yard - during the winter, however, we like them to come around:  bang, and into the freezer!!  <grin>  I do want to try to make biltong out of deer - maybe this winter.

I just can't find the room to plant all of my seedlings - so I dug up a bed on the east side of the greenhouse - a bit over a foot deed and to keep grass roots out, I sunk some old 2x6s deepwise under the front 4x4.  Hopefully it will take the termites at least a couple of years to eat thru all that wood.

I dug a bed on the north side of the greenhouse -still gets plenty of sun - for my Scarlet Runner beans.  Will let them grow up the front of the carport.  I didn't mix enough of the horse stuff in this bed and it is a bit harder to water - have to let the water soak into the sand.

Finally, got the spring beds planted - the cukes, long beans and walthum butternuts popped up quickly. 

It was a lot of work - dragging in and placing all those logs, but I don't plan to have to do that again for years.  Should take those trees at least 4 or 5 years to rot.  Also, I realized last summer how wonderful it is to have garden places that are never walked on - the soil stays to loose - that is the main reason I finally did these raised beds.

Anyway, this is my garden this year.  In the large area ion this side of that propane tank, I finally got most of my watermelons (I plant a 2nd batch about 2 weeks later), cantaloupe and winter squash in.  I'm growing Blue Hubbard, Pennensylvania Dutch Crookneck, Boston Marrow, jumbo Pink Bananna and an unknown 'Hopi' squash someone sent me seeds for.

Blu:
wow nice work and great idea on the logs, makes it look rustic in a good way

MyBookie:
Thanks so much for sharing.  You gave me some great ideas for my place. +1

kryptiea:
using those logs for a raised bed is a great idea

TwoBluesMama:
+1  - Awesome job on the garden and the greenhouse.  I'm so jealous cuz I want a greenhouse (well and a goat but that's another story).  Thanks for the pictures! I love pictures!  You should have an abundant harvest this year from all your hard work.  I always tell everyone to keep track of how much you grow - you will be surprised.  I just weigh the veggies when I bring them in and write how much and what in a notebook and then at the end of the season I add it all up and am always pleasantly surprised by the amount. Blessings, TBM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version