Farm, Garden and The Land > Show Us Your Garden

KnoxMan's First Garden

<< < (5/5)

KnoxMan:
KYdoomer . I have found the same problem .... up till now , I have been using brute force . And since it has been such an awful winter here for us this year , I have not done anything about it ...... But I have given it a thought or two..... There are several ways to go about it .... you could weld some type of handle to the center pipe as well as weld the barrel to the center pipe ...... But what I am thinking about trying to do/find is ..... I seem to recall seeing a dual wheel set up a long time ago that was used to turn a tumbler ..... I am going to try to apply the same method ..... it is kind of like using pulleys to pull a very heavy load .... except you are using multiple wheels to lighten the force needed to turn the barrel... When I actually find what is locked away in my brain , I will share it with the rest of the class LOL.... Hope this helped

KYdoomer:
Yeah that would be helpful.  I've tied a rope around mine (its closer to ground level) and just pulling with all my might.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not but I tell you, this is the best compost I've ever made!

You know I thought about counterbalancing mine by placing weights at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees.  I wonder if that would help the spin. 

J

JustinChase:
I haven't built my tumbler yet, but my plan was to have a few "spikes" either welded to the barrel and/or the axle to break up/prevent any clumping, and weld or bolt an old motorcycle sprocket to the barrel, with an old chain to another sprocket mounted to a large wheel to turn it all; probably an old bike wheel or something similar.  maybe I'll just use a couple of posts in an x shape instead of a wheel.  I figure if the gear ratios work for a 10-speed bike, it should work for a compost bin.  I figure I'll work out the sprocket/chain system and see how that does before I bother with the "spikes" inside the barrel.

One of these days  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version