Author Topic: crossbows  (Read 11543 times)

Offline Bogota

• Prepper
crossbows
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a crossbow.  The way I see it a bow is a much better way to hunt in a survival situation.  You can reuse arrows and bolts, and it doesn't make enough noise to draw attention to your location.  I have never bow hunted, and really don't have the time to train myself to use a bow.  So that got me to thinking about a crossbow.  I've been looking around the internet at crossbows and have come to the conclusion that I don't know enough to even be "shopping".  I'm looking for crossbow recommendations.  I'm hoping that I can get something for less than $400, but I'll just save longer if that's not possible.  I don't need, or want "top of the line" just a good serviceable crossbow. 

Newb Survivalist

Re: crossbows
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:50:09 AM »
i have no information about crossbows myself, but i am interested.

anyone out there with xbow experience?

Offline gary4447

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:00:48 PM »
Don't think of a crossbow as a silent rifle.  The effective range of a crossbow is the same or slightly less than that of a quality compound bow.  That is so because the crossbow is noisier when fired than a compound or traditional bow thus alerting the game to the shot.  Also even though a crossbow has about twice the draw weight as a compound bow the draw stroke is about half that of a compound.  Since the draw stroke is shorter the arrow stores less energy when released thus limiting its effective range.

Horton, Barnett, PSE, Excalibur all make quality crossbows as do many others.  Excalibur is the choice for my next crossbow.

A crossbow is easier to learn to shoot since it aims and fires like a rifle.  However because it has to be re cocked for each shot think of it as a muzzleloader rather than a repeater.  The compound can be shot at a faster rate than a crossbow but requires more practice to be accurate.

I would suggest that you visit some archery ranges and try different archery tackle then decide what fits you best.

MyEyesAreOpen1776

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »
I believe crossbows are ideal for survival situations as well.  Where a crossbow might have more of a draw weight than a compound bow, it can still be much easier for certain individuals to draw with a crossbow.  You can have a linebacker unable to pull back a compound bow, where a 13 year old string bean pulls the same bow with ease - you use muscles that you don't normally use with a compound bow to draw.  Some can step on the compound bow and and pull a 170lb draw with both hands easier.  One feature that is very attractive about a some crossbows is a cranking mechanism that allows you to draw the bow with the strength of your index finger.  If I was injured in a SHTF scenario, my wife could easily hunt for our food as well.  When you think about it, using and burning as little energy as possible is crucial, and the food you consume goes further to fuel your body. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:32:26 PM by MyEyesAreOpen1776 »

Juggernaut

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:08:14 PM »
I've heard the lifetime off a crossbow is much shorter than that of a comound, long or recurve because of the way it fires and the drawlength and whatnot. is this fact or fiction?  ???

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
There's always the "ultimate" (?) AR add-on . . .

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=55444&u=01135

Juggernaut

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »
DANG! that thing looks like it could do some damage it looks like a gun! 

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:29:09 PM »
Don't forget to check your state laws on crossbows. 
My state, for example (IL) does not allow them without a statement from a doctor saying the "shooter' is physically unable to use a regular bow.

One of the women at our local "Women in the Outdoors" event brought one. I would LOVE to be able to use one. They have so much more power!

Offline firefly

• Survivor
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:40:30 PM »
For a while I was looking for some old designs on cross bows in the past, rather than these new modern designs.  Hopefully it could be something I'd could make in my garage in case guns are seized (which I don't think is likely or practical, but you never know).  Does anybody know of any older plans or designs for a crossbow?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »

Offline firefly

• Survivor
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
Wow, yeah that's it.  Great plans and a great site.  I'm going to add it to my favorites.  Thanks Archer  +1

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 02:34:07 PM »
When I took woodworking in jr. high, one of the guys built a crossbow.  He made the stock out of walnut under the guidance of our teacher.  The bow, string, trigger mechanism came in the kit.

When it was finished, the whole class, teacher and all went out back of the shop.  To pull it, he put the bow pointed down on the ground, place a foot in the stirrup on the nose and pulled back with both hands.

It drove the bolt half way into a mature elm tree across the street.  There was no way to get it out.  He just had to cut off what was left sticking out of the tree.

I can't imagine things that would have survived that strike.

Juggernaut

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »
that's really neat!!! too bad in today's schools it wouldn't be allowed.  :(  i remember my grandfather telling me of a story when he took his 12 gauge to school to show off how he refinished the stock.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »
Yeah, things have changed. All the boys had a pocket knife.  One year, there was a bounty on jack rabbits.  One of my friends and I took our .22s to school and kept them in our locker so we could go rabbit hunting after school.  And we weren't even terrorists or deranged criminals!

Juggernaut

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
yeah, and that's how it should be!!! I have a knife that my uncle traded for at lunch!!! in middle school, we had a code red because some kid went hunting with his uncle the day before and when he opened his gym locker, a casing fell out of his pocket....  >:(

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 01:55:35 PM »

a guy told me crossbows are highly accurate, more so than other bows. He says the accuracy is 50 to 60 yards and some other guy on the internet says the max he would shoot a deer is 65 yards. That makes it sound like for survival purposes maybe you could shoot deer via stalking instead of sit an wait ? 

the range and the fact that you don't need to draw makes it seem good for self defense.

Can you get a decent one for $200 and are the arrows cheaper since they are shorter ?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »

Also, are crossbows easier to disassemble and pack away than say a compound bow ?

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »

the range and the fact that you don't need to draw makes it seem good for self defense.
Trying to maneuver in close quarters can be trickier than a short compound bow in tight quarters, the limbs hit door jambs etc.
Harder for concealment with the crossbow and depending on the crossbow turning it sideways could result in the bolt slipping.
Each does have it's place and advantages.

Some can be taken down some "can't" or shall I say they are not designed to be disassembled depends on make and model.

There used to be a website, Combatcrossbows.com I think, that showed some cool custom stuff and the guy had plans on the site
I had planned to go back and build one of them but I can't find the site anymore. I have to see if I down loaded it somewhere.

Anyone ever heard of it?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:32:16 PM by LICountryBoy »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »

I had the idea that if you mounted a night vision scope on a crossbow (is that possible ?) that that could be quite deadly in certain circumstances, though maybe a bit expensive ..

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 08:09:51 PM »
I had the idea that if you mounted a night vision scope on a crossbow (is that possible ?) that that could be quite deadly in certain circumstances, though maybe a bit expensive ..

just like farts. silent but deadly. going to google LA laws on crossbows.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »
just like farts. silent but deadly. going to google LA laws on crossbows.

it seems bad ass, i don't know why rambo never did that .

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 12:09:01 PM »
 Remember, "rambo" is the fictional creation of a guy who DIDN'T serve in Vietnam!!!  ;D

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »
Remember, "rambo" is the fictional creation of a guy who DIDN'T serve in Vietnam!!!  ;D

yeah. but if he did....he'd be even more badass