Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Primitive Skills & Earth Skills

Wilderness Survival Schools

<< < (12/12)

NotoriousAPP:

--- Quote from: Gray Ghost on February 05, 2010, 12:52:14 PM ---I am really surprised there is nothing in Texas, but oh well, guess I am going to be doing a lot of traveling.

--- End quote ---

I know this is an old post but I thought I would add to it in case you haven't found your wilderness survival course yet.  There is a company in College Station and they hold classes all over Texas.  I'm going to their wild edibles course in October being held in Austin.  I know nothing about this company or the quality of the course material so I cannot endorse them.  Here is a link to their web site:  http://www.primitivetexas.com/home

endurance:
I'm coming to the conclusion after taking a few courses locally and poking around at a lot of other courses that I don't think traveling for a very good course is as valuable as finding a local course with a marginal instructor.  I'm fascinated at the Boulder Outdoor Survival School (BOSS), one of the premier primative schools in the country, takes their students to the Utah desert to learn skills.  Really?  You're in Colorado, many students are from Colorado, so why go to a completely different climate with completely different challenges than the students will face at home? 

Last week there were three fatalities in one county near Buena Vista.  All appeared to be experienced outdoorsmen (used generically, as two were a female), but their lives ended prematurely.  All three were fall victims and in at least one case, weather played a significant role.  Weather is suspected in the death of the other two, but there were no survivors in that case to interview.

In any case, learning to make observations, assess threats, take counter-measures, and identify and use resources are local-oriented skills.  While there's no doubt that Dual Survival has demonstrated that a strong survivor will prevail even in alien environments, they also never hide the fact that they first meet with local guides before they start filming.  I can't tell you how many lives in Colorado could be saved with a good understanding of the pattern of afternoon thunderstorms and what shelter you should never be without (even a disposable poncho could probably save 20 lives a year for folks climbing 14-ers).

Just my $.02.

Jim H:

--- Quote from: Chance Sanders on March 01, 2010, 10:00:47 PM ---If I am not mistaken Kevin Reed used to be one of the instructors at Trackerschool. He now runs On Point Tactical. Perhaps he kept the skills and dumped the mysticism.

--- End quote ---

Kevin Reed was teaching when I attended Tracker School way back when - good instructor. I haven't attended On Point Tactical but it ought to be good, Kevin seemed more keyed in to the tactical end of things than the rest.

idelphic:
Take a look at  Nature Reliance .  He will travel to you,.. and does a very good job. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version