Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Primitive Skills & Earth Skills

Wilderness Survival Schools

<< < (4/12) > >>

Gray Ghost:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on February 05, 2010, 04:23:59 PM ---BURNING MAN!! WOOT!  Have you done burning man before?

--- End quote ---

No, I have been to a few regional burns, but never Burning Man itself.

Sister Wolf:
I want pics when you go, and a full "journal" of what you experience.  PERSONALLY, I'd rather go to Dirt Time than Burning Man, but I've had a looooooot of friends (hippies, the lot of em) who have been to Burning Man, and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

I'd like to go, but it's such an exercise in art (rather than in reality), that it's almost not worth it for me.

Regardless, I think it's a reallllly cool event, and I'd like to hear about your thoughts on what happens there.  :)

marauder:
Throw in a Wilderness focused medicine/First Aid Course from SOLO or WMI (Wilderness Medicine Institute) and you'll have a well rounded training background.  SOLO is based in NH, but they teach all over.  WMI is the medical training arm of NOLS.  They are in either in WY or CO these days, but they teach all over the country.

I took SOLO's Wilderness EMT class at the mothership about 13 years ago.  Very high speed stuff.  Saved my bacon on more than 1 occasion.  Other than training on your main weapon, I would throw a first aid class to the top of my list if I were starting from scratch.  You could start with Wilderness First Aid or First Responder.  Don't need to go for the whole enchilada in one fell swoop.

Gray Ghost:

--- Quote from: marauder on February 06, 2010, 03:26:49 PM ---Throw in a Wilderness focused medicine/First Aid Course from SOLO or WMI (Wilderness Medicine Institute) and you'll have a well rounded training background.  SOLO is based in NH, but they teach all over.  WMI is the medical training arm of NOLS.  They are in either in WY or CO these days, but they teach all over the country.

I took SOLO's Wilderness EMT class at the mothership about 13 years ago.  Very high speed stuff.  Saved my bacon on more than 1 occasion.  Other than training on your main weapon, I would throw a first aid class to the top of my list if I were starting from scratch.  You could start with Wilderness First Aid or First Responder.  Don't need to go for the whole enchilada in one fell swoop.

--- End quote ---

Good suggestion. I have been looking at wilderness first aid. So far I have been through:
• CERT
• Red Cross First Aid, CPR, & AED for Adults, Children, and Infants
• Tactical Pistol (Secret Service Instructor)
• Hoffner's Tactical Pistol I (16hrs)

marauder:
Wilderness First Aid is only slight more applicable to a SHTF scenario than typical Red Cross First Aid. So in that regard, you probably have your bases covered.  Wilderness First Responder would be your likely next step in training.   

Wilderness First Aid is going to give you an "outside" mindset which differs from regular Red Cross First Aid.  However, if you spend any time outdoors with regularity, you can adjust your mindset and your kit on your own. 

Also, don't overlook or discount an Appleseed shoot.  Nice weekend.  Get's you in touch with your inner "Minuteman" and you will learn a good amount.  Also, quite affordable in these times in which we find ourselves. 

AS you can see, I love talking training  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version