Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Primitive Skills & Earth Skills

Wilderness Survival Schools

<< < (3/12) > >>

marauder:

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on February 04, 2010, 09:51:21 PM ---Oooohhhh, I've been wanting to take the Urban Escape & Evasion course from On Point Tactical for a long time.  Looks VERY cool!

--- End quote ---

It is very cool.  Their urban survival course is also very cool.  And again, probably MUCH more applicable to most of our everyday lives, than learning how to make snares from natural fiber cordage.  Those skills are cool too, but in my view, you need to be able to get yourself to the wilderness first. 

On Point is based in Jersey, but I know they do the Urban E&E course as far west as Arizona. 

Gray Ghost:

--- Quote from: marauder on February 04, 2010, 07:42:17 PM ---To add, the reason he is polarizing is that he breaks one of my cardinal rules.  He thinks he knows everything. Unfortunately, that seems to be a prevailing trait amongst survival "gurus."   He doesn't take a holistic view to his courses.  His way is THE way.  

--- End quote ---

That is kind of the read I have gotten on him. No humility at all. Personally, I MUCH prefer Ron Hood's approach of I don't know all and am always learning.

--- Quote from: ridge rover on February 05, 2010, 07:01:38 AM ---About that Tracker, I say get a Hood ATAX instead! More versatility!

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I looked at his knife and a few of the reviews. I have no interest. I am all RAT Cutlery (now ESEE) all the time.

--- Quote from: ridge rover on February 05, 2010, 07:01:38 AM ---These days, much good instruction is available. Unfortunately, you often have to travel!

--- End quote ---

I am really surprised there is nothing in Texas, but oh well, guess I am going to be doing a lot of traveling.

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on February 04, 2010, 09:51:21 PM ---Oooohhhh, I've been wanting to take the Urban Escape & Evasion course from On Point Tactical for a long time.  Looks VERY cool!

--- End quote ---

On my list of Definitely going to do.

--- Quote from: marauder on February 05, 2010, 09:33:49 AM ---On Point is based in Jersey, but I know they do the Urban E&E course as far west as Arizona.  

--- End quote ---

They do do them all over. There is one coming up near me, in Dallas, in the next couple of months.

--- Quote from: Sister Wolf on February 03, 2010, 04:22:06 PM ---Whatever you choose, I'd love to read about your experience, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Please post it here!  :)

--- End quote ---

I think I am going to end up taking them all, LOL. It's all like crack to me and I find the stuff oddly relaxing. It's going to take me some time, but I will post my experiences, back to this thread if it does not get archived by then, as I go through each. OnPoint will probably be the first since it is the cheapest and closest. Just have to make sure I have the funds to go to Burning Man, Urban EE, and the fiance's Dental School Tuition all in the same year.

Wish Les Stroud was still teaching. Whether he is the best or not aside, he seems like he would just be a cool person to hang out with for a couple of days and that he would be a patient teacher.

The Wilderness:

--- Quote from: Gray Ghost on February 05, 2010, 12:52:14 PM ---
I think I am going to end up taking them all, LOL. It's all like crack to me and I find the stuff oddly relaxing. It's going to take me some time, but I will post my experiences, back to this thread if it does not get archived by then, as I go through each. OnPoint will probably be the first since it is the cheapest and closest. Just have to make sure I have the funds to go to Burning Man, Urban EE, and the fiance's Dental School Tuition all in the same year.

--- End quote ---

Are you going to Dirt Time 10 ?

A bunch of us are going.

TW

Gray Ghost:

--- Quote from: The Wilderness on February 05, 2010, 01:20:47 PM ---Are you going to Dirt Time 10 ?

A bunch of us are going.

TW

--- End quote ---

I really want to, but can't this year. My summer budget is going towards Burning Man this year.

I will be at the Hoodlums Texas Spring Thing though  ;D

Sister Wolf:
BURNING MAN!! WOOT!  Have you done burning man before?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version