Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Hunting

Wild Turkey ?

(1/3) > >>

surfivor:

Is wild turkey gamey ? Any white meat on those birds ? We got alot of them around these parts, the population seems to keep growing. I wonder if bow hunting for them is allowed ?

I ate a grouse once, but I didn't shoot it, it flew into my mothers house and broke it's neck, so I cleaned it and put it in the toaster oven, tasted alot like chicken.
The indians called this the crazy moon - in the fall the birds eat fermented berries that have alcohol in them and fly into things.

millerized1:

--- Quote from: surfivor on October 04, 2008, 04:52:30 PM ---
 Is wild turkey gamey ? Any white meat on those birds ? We got alot of them around these parts, the population seems to keep growing. I wonder if bow hunting for them is allowed ?

--- End quote ---
Little bit.  We've gotten used to farm raised, highly medicated birds.  Wild, to me they taste very little like store bought. My personal opinion: store bought: buttery, smooth, kinda mealy.  Wild: bit gamey, bit wild taste, but a hell of a lot better.

--- Quote --- I ate a grouse once, but I didn't shoot it, it flew into my mothers house and broke it's neck, so I cleaned it and put it in the toaster oven, tasted alot like chicken.
The indians called this the crazy moon - in the fall the birds eat fermented berries that have alcohol in them and fly into things.
--- End quote ---
On major reason I don't drink wild turkey ;)

kaiservontexas:
I love game turkey. I think it taste better. I was raised on it though because it was not until after my grandpa died that we ate store bought. He always went turkey hunting. I say if you can hunt them go for it. Besides if the population is really getting out of control you are helping instead of hurting the environment.

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote --- Is wild turkey gamey ? Any white meat on those birds ? We got alot of them around these parts, the population seems to keep growing. I wonder if bow hunting for them is allowed ?
--- End quote ---

I suppose it can taste gamey, their diet can have some influence on how the meat tastes.  The age of the bird is also a factor, older & larger birds can taste more wild, while the younger or smaller birds might tend toward a milder taste. 

Most state's have an archery season for wild turkey.  We have a spring and a fall season in Missouri.  Check with your state game agency.

--- Quote --- I ate a grouse once, but I didn't shoot it, it flew into my mothers house and broke it's neck, so I cleaned it and put it in the toaster oven, tasted alot like chicken.
--- End quote ---

I've heard grouse is good.  I've not had the opportunity yet to try any.  I'd love to hunt them with my longbow.

ModernSurvival:
Wild Turkey is leaner then farm raised but not gamey, if you fed it to the unknowing they would never know.

Grouse are awesome and I miss hunting them as we don't have them in the south.  They are a lot of work for a small reward, I averaged about 3 miles per grouse bagged and I am a pretty good shot.  ;)

What I also miss is the thing you mention about fermented berries.  They ate fermented fox grapes in PA and when I would be hunting deer in bow season you would hear the males "drumming" which sounds really cool.  The thing is they only are supposed to drum in Spring during breeding season, they get drunk on fox grapes and think it is spring,  ::) poor horny little buggers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version