Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Outdoors Activities

winter backpacking

<< < (9/11) > >>

surfivor:

how long is the stove pipe for the super tarp ? The website doesn't show that configuration that I saw ..

Andy in NH:

--- Quote from: surfivor on December 19, 2010, 07:42:10 PM --- how long is the stove pipe for the super tarp ? The website doesn't show that configuration that I saw ..

--- End quote ---

The Super-Tarp can use the para-stove or the small stove.  Both of these stoves come with a 48" stove pipe.  If you desire a longer pipe, you can order one.

surfivor:
 The military uses these things ? Are you x-military ?

Why doesn't the heat from the pipe harm the fabric ? There is no need for a spark arrestor ? Strong winds won't knock the stove pipe around or cause it to dislodge ? The fabric is made of some super strength stuff so you can use sticks for tent poles ?

I have a portable folding wood stove from cabelas that weighs 40 pounds. I've used it with a fold up yurt from shelter systems. rigging a standard 5 inch stove pipe through one of the doors was quite a hack job using plywood and stuff used on screen doors. My set up is big and bulky and it would be hard for me to even go cold weather car camping in something like a toyota corolla with all that. The yurt itself is pretty huge to carry around. If I had known about this kifaru stuff, I probably would have bought from them years ago. I know have a more permanent 310 square foot yurt in maine with a wood stove, but I am super impressed with this kifaru equipment ..

boboroshi:
I did a bunch of cold weather camping in the scouts and the real important stuff for me was long underwear. At the time it was polypro, now it's newer materials. I use the base layer stuff from Orvis and choose heavy or light depending on the task. I also wear really warm boots while out and about. For me, as long as my feet are warm, I'm in a pretty good mood. Feet get frozen? I'm done.

Alpaca wool sweaters can't be beat. thin but REALLY warm. And any time you have to sit, don't do it right on the ground, as it will suck the heat out of you. Get a camp chair or even a 2'x2' pad.

I also recommend carrying somethign to spit wood with, be it a small hand axe or larger camp axe. Worst case you can always construct shelter and make a fire. Not the ideal for "leave only footprints" but if you get into a survival situation, being able to make quick work of things is important.

The other important thing is to be careful of sweat. Balance your layers so that you aren't sweating profusely. When you stop, even with great base layers, etc. being wet = misery.

Andy in NH:

--- Quote from: surfivor on December 20, 2010, 09:36:18 AM --- The military uses these things ? Are you x-military ?

Why doesn't the heat from the pipe harm the fabric ? There is no need for a spark arrestor ? Strong winds won't knock the stove pipe around or cause it to dislodge ? The fabric is made of some super strength stuff so you can use sticks for tent poles ?
--- End quote ---

The Super-Hooch is the military version of the Super-Tarp.  I'm not sure how widespread the use is in the military.  Kifaru has a military line of packs that has proven popular with individual military members.  I was told that Kifaru filled an order for the Canadian Military, but again, I'm not sure about how widespread the use is.

I'm a former Marine.

The stove jack is made from a fiberglass material which protects it from the heat. The remainder of the shelter is made from water proof hang glider fabric - very susceptible to heat damage.

There are two removable / adjustable spark screens in a collar located between the stove and the stove pipe.

Site selection will help mitigate the effects of wind on the tipis and stovepipes.  The literature on the Kifaru website mentions that the tipis / stove pipes have done well in winds over 50 mph.

The areas of the tarps that use sticks / trekking poles for support have a patch sewn in to reinforce those areas.

--- Quote ---...I am super impressed with this kifaru equipment ..
--- End quote ---

Come see it at the Kifaru East Coast Rendezvous: http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?23812-ECR-11-dates...!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version