Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Alternative Options For The Things You Use Everyday

<< < (2/19) > >>

susan1957:
Mineral Salt can be used for deodorant.  They now have large salt rocks you can purchase.  You wet them with water and apply under the arms.  No aluminum, no other chemicals, just the salt.  Now it's not a antiperspirant just deodorant.

Roknrandy:

--- Quote from: susan1957 on September 24, 2008, 06:54:13 AM ---Mineral Salt can be used for deodorant.  They now have large salt rocks you can purchase.  You wet them with water and apply under the arms.  No aluminum, no other chemicals, just the salt.  Now it's not a antiperspirant just deodorant.

--- End quote ---
I use one of these Susan and they do work great. The minerals kill the bacteria that make your pits smell  ;D I have been using the same one for a year now and I've used only half a stick. They are more expensive then regular deodorant but it lasts much longer.

derajer:

--- Quote from: DarkEyes on September 21, 2008, 04:18:03 PM ---One of the things I have thought alot about lately is canning.  If you needed to can food and didn't have or couldn't get the seals to seal the jars you could use wax.  It will seal the jar and you can save it, melt it and reuse it.

--- End quote ---

If I am to understand what you are saying, then wax is absoloutely not a substitude for the metal plates that you buy for canning. Canning requires that the food be boiled in the jar fully submerged then allowed to cool and create a vacuum seal. If this process does not take place, then it is not canning and the food in the jars will have a very short storage life. It could just be that I misunderstood what you said though...

As for soap, I have been working on this for a while without some limited success. To make soap from scratch you extract lye from the white ashes of hardwoods (softwoods contain too much resin) by one of several means (boil the ashes then skim the brown liquid OR strain water through the ashes and the resulting brown liquid is lye water). This lye water can be used as a cleaner like 409 or used to make soap, the lye water can be boiled down to increase its potency. The other half of the soap recipe is to mix this lye-water with clean fat while both substances are heated. This is the basics of soap, I won't go into precise how-to's in this thread.

DarkEyes:
On the canning, you boil the jars, put the hot food in them, leave about 1/4 of an inch of headway at the top, clean off any residue, melt the wax, pour about 1/8 th of an inch of wax on the top, wait for it to cool and then pour about 1/4 of an inch over that.  It seals.  When I was growing up, the lady next door to us did it with everything, we ate everything she cooked and never did get sick

derajer:
I would be very hesitant about this method, and it certainly wouldn't work for pressure canning. I'm sure that it would work for acidic foods with a short storage time, but I don't know that I could trust my life (read botulism exposure) to this method.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version