Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Food Preps

Long term prepping for picky eaters?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Citizen Zero:

--- Quote from: atherts on November 15, 2018, 01:58:51 PM ---As they say in Ireland, "Is maith an t-anlann an t-ocras."
Hunger is a good sauce.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I don't prep for the picky eaters. Eat what you are offered, or don't eat.

It sounds kind of harsh, but you cannot afford to cater to pickiness in a survival situation.

I will acknowledge that allergies are a different bailiwick, those should be planned for if you have folks that need those dietary restrictions observed that are in your plan.

As usual, just my $.02 ;-)

Stwood:

--- Quote from: Citizen Zero on January 17, 2019, 10:22:03 PM ---Agreed. I don't prep for the picky eaters. Eat what you are offered, or don't eat.

It sounds kind of harsh, but you cannot afford to cater to pickiness in a survival situation.

I will acknowledge that allergies are a different bailiwick, those should be planned for if you have folks that need those dietary restrictions observed that are in your plan.

As usual, just my $.02 ;-)

--- End quote ---

I tend to go along with that thinking also.
If you are hungry, you will most likely eat about anything that is available and in front of you.

David in MN:
I'm having issues with my 3 year old. Mommy and daddy seem to understand that we eat at a house that could get a Michelin Star but as we've been long used to dishes like Milanese risotto or steamed mussels which are not hits with the kiddo. As much as I tried to do Bobby Flay's "the kids eat what we eat with us and don't know any different" some things weren't hits.

But I've also talked with my daughter and gotten feedback on what works. She LOVES pulled pork. OK, I'll do pulled pork every so often and keep some in the freezer. I like grilled pork too. She also likes bean dishes so we do a lot of Mexican frijoles charros based dishes and Louisiana red beans and rice. In a stunning event she loved a salad Nicoise I made while my wife was traveling (wife hates that dish).

I've also had a lot of success with picky kids serving things like quiche. I also really like foods that offer the youngster a "buy-in". Things like tacos or the proverbial baked potato bar can be fun and let them feel they are deciding their meal which is great. If I got real desperate I'm not above blending spinach into queso dip.

I'm in this problem a little bit but for us it's more like 'this happy meal is awesome' the day after dad made scallops in sauce vierge for dinner.

nocturnal:
All toddlers go through periods of being picky eaters. That's their job.
Ours is to stay calm and patient.

Though I would do what has worked for many many generations (pretty much up until ours): put whatever you are having in front of him too. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat it. If not, not.
With my son, there have been times where it's been a battle to get him to eat. But I've learned that if we remain calm during mealtimes he'll remain calm. I make healthy meals, and if my kiddo don't like them, he can wait til the next meal to eat.
Kids catch on fast, and start eating whatever is in front of them. I hear parents say things like "my kid will only eat chicken nuggets so we have to make them" and I'm thinking WHAT?? Yes, that's not easy and it does sound harsh, but kids must know that nuggets won't be there always for them.

So if he don't have any food allergies, I'd offer him a regular prep.

Prepper456:
part of the problem might be box and heat and eat meals like the mentioned chicken nuggets?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version