Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

The FAN DIPOLE,an EASY, EFFECTIVE HF Antenna

<< < (2/3) > >>

FreeLancer:
Would you expect it to perform better than a G5RV with tuner in an attic installation?

Carl:

--- Quote from: FreeLancer on January 06, 2015, 02:42:03 PM ---Would you expect it to perform better than a G5RV with tuner in an attic installation?

--- End quote ---

The G5RV could have a slight edge due to the SWR factor and how ladder line does not have the loss that coax does when high SWR is in the mix. Do you plan to work all bands ? If not you will be better with a fan dipole with each element tuned to your favorite bands.

The typical G5RV is a 20 meter antenna that can be tuned ,with an antenna tuner, to work on other bands.
The fan dipole is a two or more band antenna that can be tuned to other bands.
This 20/40 I have actually IS tuned on 40/20/15/10 meters due to 40 being a multiple length of 15 and 10 being a multiple of 20 meter wire.

One plus with attic install though is that your automatic tuner does not have to be by the radio and will run just fine off a simple pack of AA cells or a small 12 volt supply like a wall wart and with that type install you regain what coax loss would be incurred.

Decisions ,decisions.....

FreeLancer:

--- Quote from: Carl on January 06, 2015, 02:55:44 PM ---Decisions ,decisions.....

--- End quote ---

Yep.

Smurf Hunter:
I have some automatic tuner questions:

1) why are so many brand/model specific?  I understand they have vendor specific wiring, but aren't they AUTOMATIC?

2) with an integrated tuner in some nicer HF radios, if there was a long run of coax into an attic like FreeLancer was asking, would there be any advantage in a second automatic tuner very near the antenna itself? 

I guess I don't understand why there are dozens of model specific tuners when there are a few that seen to be generic like this:  http://www.aesham.com/automatic/ldg-z-100plus/

Carl:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on January 06, 2015, 03:41:36 PM ---I have some automatic tuner questions:

1) why are so many brand/model specific?  I understand they have vendor specific wiring, but aren't they AUTOMATIC?

2) with an integrated tuner in some nicer HF radios, if there was a long run of coax into an attic like FreeLancer was asking, would there be any advantage in a second automatic tuner very near the antenna itself? 

I guess I don't understand why there are dozens of model specific tuners when there are a few that seen to be generic like this:  http://www.aesham.com/automatic/ldg-z-100plus/

--- End quote ---

The model specific tuners have cables and controls ,methods of attaching to the radio or size/form factor that makes the fit and look better with the radio , but they will still tune for any radio that puts out the minimum required RF( 5 watts on most ,except the QRP models)

Most LDG ,and many others have the cables as options to fit most radios that have a TUNE button etc and ALL the automatic tuners I know of will tune with RF applied (a carrier or CW tone is fastest or I use RTTY mode to get RF for tuning ) SSB will work,but often too slow. The TUNE BUTTON on radios basically puts the radio in AM or CW mode at lower than full power to speed tuning.You can build your own button to do the same with model specific tuners with a push button,a resistor,and a mating plug for the tuner.

The long run of coax ,combined with high SWR (even if tuner at radio tunes SWR to low level) brings in LOSS of output power and some people just can't accept that to happen...does it save much...a few watts ...when losing HALF of you power amounts to 1/2 of a S unit ...I just don't see it as a problem (unless running an amplifier)

On the SOAP BOX:

Over 90 percent of all of my HF contacts are made at 20 watts or LESS and I just don't floorboard my car just because I can...there is so little to gain and this is my HOBBY...I don't let the DX chasers who often don't remember who they talked to yesterday set the way I should talk to and befriend others . Talking to others is what I enjoy ,not spending hours yelling in the face of a pileup just to say "you're 5 X 9 " and nothing more...what a truly meaningless pastime.

Stepping down from soap box....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version