Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

Protect your gear from over-voltage with EASY CIRCUIT

<< < (2/4) > >>

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Carl on December 10, 2014, 10:05:14 AM ---The new DIGITAL meter would indeed be a great addition, But I would suggest external BLADE fuses in inline holders as easy access...though they are only supposed to blow when HELL freezes over and your power source goes wacky...just my habit...your 'all in one' would make for a neat ,multi-use (maybe add multiple output terminals?) all in a box savior.

Your gear deserves this cheap protection.

--- End quote ---

Would inline blade vs. glass tube fuses of equal current rating behave differently? 
e.g. 25amp of either style SHOULD blow if we sent 40amps across them - right?

For the record, I have inline fuses on all my radios.

Carl:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on December 10, 2014, 10:16:51 AM ---Would inline blade vs. glass tube fuses of equal current rating behave differently? 
e.g. 25amp of either style SHOULD blow if we sent 40amps across them - right?

For the record, I have inline fuses on all my radios.

--- End quote ---

The element is the same length,it should react the same way,but I say use 'em if you got 'em ...I like inline blade fuses because I have had several failures of inline glass fuse holders (NOTE, my failures were from inline holders,NOT the clip style holder used in this project)

I like the weather/dust resistant blade holders and have a BUNCH on hand...also bought many 100 plus fuse assortments for about FIVE CENTS A FUSE and so I LIKE THEM BETTER. Just do not use SLOW-BLOW fuses or circuit  breakers (yes ,they make 12 volt ,blade type breakers) as they would not blow fast enough to protect your gear.

Big PLUS is the NEW INDICATOR blade fuses that light an internal LED to tell you the fuse is blown, (you can do this with a 12 volt LED (LED and resistor) across the fuse to indicate a blown fuse)

backwoods_engineer:
So, it's a fuse holder with a transzorb?

Unless you reverse the input leads, or the radio pulls too much current, the fuses probably aren't going to blow.   A brief (<1mS) surge on the 12V input will be clamped by the transzorb, and the fuses won't heat up enough to blow.

Carl:

--- Quote from: backwoods_engineer on December 16, 2014, 03:26:08 PM ---So, it's a fuse holder with a transzorb?

Unless you reverse the input leads, or the radio pulls too much current, the fuses probably aren't going to blow.   A brief (<1mS) surge on the 12V input will be clamped by the transzorb, and the fuses won't heat up enough to blow.

--- End quote ---

At 15 volts ,the diode clamps to an equivalent SHORT CIRCUIT and the fuses WILL BLOW..
 ,it is a 1500 watt ZENER, It is way better than NO PROTECTION and will do the job of protecting gear.

TiredOldGrunt:
Note: Suitable for over voltage or voltage spike
Note: Not suitable for EMP

My crystal ball already sees that question coming.. arrrggg!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version