Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

Is there an advantage to "N" connectors?

<< < (2/2)

backwoods_engineer:
No, not if you get low-loss adapters.  I have personally measured some on my $50,000 network analyzer at work that has less than 0.2 dB of loss. 

You get a 50' piece of LMR-400 and compare that to a 50' piece of crap truck stop RG-58, and you can see as much as 2 dB difference.

Now, Smurf Hunter might not see a difference on his short piece.  But why not use a found piece of good coax, even if you have to cough up $15 for a couple of adapters from Pasternack?

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: backwoods_engineer on June 12, 2014, 07:22:28 PM ---No, not if you get low-loss adapters.  I have personally measured some on my $50,000 network analyzer at work that has less than 0.2 dB of loss. 

You get a 50' piece of LMR-400 and compare that to a 50' piece of crap truck stop RG-58, and you can see as much as 2 dB difference.

Now, Smurf Hunter might not see a difference on his short piece.  But why not use a found piece of good coax, even if you have to cough up $15 for a couple of adapters from Pasternack?

--- End quote ---

I believe this.  After building my copper pipe jpole I started with a 50' length of rg58 from radioschmuck.  Of course I then attempted to tune things.  When I later replaced it with a wuality 18' rg8x with silver soldered ends my SWR meter showed a full watt more on.the forward needle.

This experience alone taught me a lot.

Carl:

--- Quote from: Smurf Hunter on June 12, 2014, 11:33:05 PM ---I believe this.  After building my copper pipe jpole I started with a 50' length of rg58 from radioschmuck.  Of course I then attempted to tune things.  When I later replaced it with a wuality 18' rg8x with silver soldered ends my SWR meter showed a full watt more on.the forward needle.

This experience alone taught me a lot.

--- End quote ---

Shades of KUNG FU....ah brass-popper ,grasp the crystal from my hand and prove worthiness.....

You are learning fast Smurf Hunter! 

backwoods_engineer:

--- Quote from: Carl on June 13, 2014, 06:15:13 AM ---Shades of KUNG FU....ah brass-popper ,grasp the crystal from my hand and prove worthiness.....

You are learning fast Smurf Hunter!

--- End quote ---

Indeed!  Smurf Hunter is coming along fast in our hobby!  Welcome, SH!  We are going to have to exchange callsigns by PM sometime once you get operational on HF.  I hear your neck of the woods on 20m on PSK31 all the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version