Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

DIY power supply for yaesu ft2900r 2m mobile ?

(1/4) > >>

Smurf Hunter:
I'm looking at 2m mobile rigs for base station use.
The ft2900r can go up to 75watts.  While I may not run that hot I'd like my rig to support it.

Assuming I scrap up an AC/DC supply with enough amps is there any downside?

I have an old PC power supply that was an aftermarket purchase years ago.  It powered 6 drives and a bunch of peripherals in its day.  I will confirm the amp output when I get home.

I also have a collection of 12vdc wall warts.  Can I start out with a 10amp one to get started?

I may invest is a purpose built power supply later but want to understand the options.

Carl:
While a PC power supply may work,there are drawbacks.
(1) PC power are normally 12 volts ,5 volts,and 3 volts with 12 volts being just that...12 volts...and NOT 13.6 to 13.8 +or- 15%, you will not get full power out of the radio,which is no big deal.
(2) RF can cause problems with switching power supplies (I said CAN , not will,as some supplies work fine)
(3) There are many HOW TO pages and videos on the modification to the power supply to get it to turn on and STAY ON.
(4) Not a big worry ,but when switching supplies fail...they can fail to ZERO volts (GOOD) or 300 volts and more(need I say BAD)

You might think to use a spare boat ,lawn-mower battery and a small wall wart or charger for temporary duty as batteries last LONGER when properly used ,rather than stored.

And YES..a 10 amp supply should keep you stable at up to 25 watts or so RF out on the radio

I own and use  Yaesu 1802,1900,2800,2900 8800,8900 mobile radios tied to solar,batteries,commercial power supplies and YES even converted PC power supplies and either have done it good ,or been lucky as ALL of the radios are still great after many years of service. Just always double check the voltage AND POLARITY before power to radio is applied, REVERSE POLARITY CAN DO DAMAGE EVEN WHILE THE RADIO IS NOT "ON" , Not yelling ,but that part is important.

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: Carl on May 14, 2014, 12:24:03 PM ---While a PC power supply may work,there are drawbacks.
(1) PC power are normally 12 volts ,5 volts,and 3 volts with 12 volts being just that...12 volts...and NOT 13.6 to 13.8 +or- 15%, you will not get full power out of the radio,which is no big deal.
(2) RF can cause problems with switching power supplies (I said CAN , not will,as some supplies work fine)
(3) There are many HOW TO pages and videos on the modification to the power supply to get it to turn on and STAY ON.
(4) Not a big worry ,but when switching supplies fail...they can fail to ZERO volts (GOOD) or 300 volts and more(need I say BAD)

You might think to use a spare boat ,lawn-mower battery and a small wall wart or charger for temporary duty as batteries last LONGER when properly used ,rather than stored.

And YES..a 10 amp supply should keep you stable at up to 25 watts or so RF out on the radio

I own and use  Yaesu 1802,1900,2800,2900 8800,8900 mobile radios tied to solar,batteries,commercial power supplies and YES even converted PC power supplies and either have done it good ,or been lucky as ALL of the radios are still great after many years of service. Just always double check the voltage AND POLARITY before power to radio is applied, REVERSE POLARITY CAN DO DAMAGE EVEN WHILE THE RADIO IS NOT "ON" , Not yelling ,but that part is important.

--- End quote ---

I did some reading since posting, and realize hacking an old ATX PSU may not be worth the trouble/risk.   
A new, quality brand name 15-20A supply is as expensive as the transceiver. While I'm not necessarily a cheapskate, I need to ease into new hobbies slowly - in the interest of "domestic tranquility".

Maybe a larger capacity 12VDC SLA/marine battery would suit me better in the near term.

I have a wallwart smart charger that I use to charge up a variety of 12VDC lead acid batteries.  I've been meaning to build up a more substantial battery bank being just charging cell phones and laptops. 

If I got a 20AH SLA battery, and left the AC smart charger attached, could I simultaneously attach the DC leads from a mobile transceiver to the battery terminals?
I realize without AC power recharging it, a modest 20AH would probably only last for a couple hours depending on the amount of power and transmissions.

Curious what my options are to get started.

TiredOldGrunt:
Just get this and be done with it...

https://www.google.com/search?q=JETSTREAM+JTPS28&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

I had one, wish I still did.

GL,
TOG

Smurf Hunter:

--- Quote from: TiredOldGrunt on May 14, 2014, 02:30:49 PM ---Just get this and be done with it...

https://www.google.com/search?q=JETSTREAM+JTPS28&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

I had one, wish I still did.

GL,
TOG

--- End quote ---

I might - but here's an ironic/annoying attribute I've read about the JTPS28.  It's noisy, which isn't a huge deal, but one of the "features" of the FT-2900r is that it's fanless.  So seems kind of counter intuitive to add a noisy power supply to an otherwise silent rig.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version