Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Amateur Radio How-To's

My 2M Yaesu Set Up in My Cherokee (Updated With Wiring Pics)

(1/7) > >>

DeltaEchoVictor:
I've actually moved my last post from 5 Things You Didn't Know Your Cell Phone Could Do in light of the turn the thread has taken.  You can check out the original thread if you want to see how it all started.  I thought The Communications forum was a better place for this instead of continually hijacking the other thread.

It can be problematic to mount a radio in a Jeep Cherokee because the bastards that designed it didn't allow for much extra space in the front of it.  This is how I overcame the obstacle.

--- Quote from: ColdHaven on November 28, 2008, 01:19:16 PM ---I have an old Johnson in my Jeep Cherokee. Still trying to find a good place to put it since when they designed the Jeep, they did not have CBs or people who drink in mind. There seems to be no room for a CB setup or cupholders...  >:(

--- End quote ---
There's plenty of room, check out the pics.  An old Johnson is probably bigger than the Yaesu I have, but the same principle applies.

--- Quote from: flagtag on November 28, 2008, 01:36:15 PM ---That's pretty cool! Convenient.  Do you have any trouble with leaks? Where is your antenna?
Would a CB antenna interfer with the Ham?

--- End quote ---
It is convenient, I have it angled slightly towards the driver's seat so I can see the display clearly.  No leaks, there is a support rib that runs across the top about 4" or so back from the windshield.  If you push on the headliner you can tell the difference in feel.  Most vehicles have this, check yours.  I held the bracket up & drilled a couple of small pilot holes after I decided where would allow me the best view & keep it up out of the line of my sight.  After I enlarged the mounting holes I installed the bracket with the provided mounting screws & washers.

I removed the plastic trim from the front to the back down the driver's side & routed my antenna cable down under the headliner.  The wiring harness, which I had to lengthen, I ran thru flexible wire conduit & zip-tied to permanent structures under the hood.  If you go this route remember to avoid any electrical components that could possibly cause interference or a whine thru your speaker.

Here are the pictures.
Out of the line of sight from passersby.

Antenna cable routing down under weatherstripping & under plastic trim.

Bracket mounting location.  Angled slightly toward the primary user, in this case me, the driver.

Wiring harness tucked under the headliner

Finished product.  It's rock solid, not so much as a wiggle, so no fears about the thing coming down on my head.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***ETA Wire Routing Pictures*** 11/30/08

Battery Termination

Fuses

The green is the flexible wire conduit containing the wiring.  It's zip-tied to existing structures to prevent shifting/possible damage.

Going around the brake system master cylinder & down thru the existing hole in the firewall.

From the inside.

Routing up & under the inner trim pieces.

Up the post & across to the radio location.

Termination at the radio end.

Any other questions, just let me know.

TexSquirrel:
Cool install.
Is the bracket attached to sheet metal, or just to the headliner?

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: TexSquirrel on November 28, 2008, 05:32:06 PM ---Cool install.
Is the bracket attached to sheet metal, or just to the headliner?

--- End quote ---
The bracket is screwed in to a support rib under the headliner.  

The Cherokee has several support ribs that run across the top & under the actual roof.  There's about 1" of depth to them before you would actually hit the sheet metal of the roof.  It's plenty of room to affix the bracket to, especially since you're using the flat washer & a lock washer that are supplied with the bracket & sheet metal screws.  It all came with the radio so I just used what was supplied.  

If one was worried about puncturing the roof you could go buy some shorter sheet metal screws than what's supplied with the mounting bracket, but I found it wasn't necessary.  Obviously it's wise to see what's under the headliner of whatever particular vehicle you're driving, it may be different than the Cherokee, ;) & I don't want to be the cause of rain on your head.

HERE'S the complete write up I did back in September on Zombie Squad about mounting a 2M in my Cherokee.  Just scroll down a bit & you'll see it.

ColdHaven:
I may have to go back to that article to see how you did it. Your Jeep is in much better shape than mine. The previous owner didn't take care of it as well as he should of. What I am not paying in car payments it seems I am paying in upkeep. Yeah, the Johnson is much bigger, but it was laying around the house at my mom's not being used so I thought...why not? My stepfather rigged the power to go through the lighter jack and it is currently sitting above the emergency brake. He has the antenna going through the back to about where you have it, except it is not under the rubber, and it comes out from the side instead of the top.

I have a question though and really didn't think about it until my mom mentioned it. Do you take your antenna down every so often when you are out? Are there that many people out there who would try to cut the chord to the antenna and try to steal it? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted your input on it. Just seems like a big inconvience to take it down and put it up all the time.

When I make it more permanent I will take your suggestions off of this. Seems like you have it all nice and neat!

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: ColdHaven on November 28, 2008, 08:17:26 PM ---I have a question though and really didn't think about it until my mom mentioned it. Do you take your antenna down every so often when you are out? Are there that many people out there who would try to cut the chord to the antenna and try to steal it? I wouldn't think so, but just wanted your input on it. Just seems like a big inconvience to take it down and put it up all the time.

When I make it more permanent I will take your suggestions off of this. Seems like you have it all nice and neat!

--- End quote ---
No, I don't ever take it down.  I'm not really worried about someone stealing it.  If they do an antenna isn't that expensive to replace.  Pulling all the inside trim down again would be the PITA.

I mounted it like that because I spend quite a bit of time in the woods on some property I lease & there aren't any decent roads.  As a result I spend a lot of time busting thru brush & running my Jeep under tree limbs.  I mounted it with enough slack that if I hit something hard enough it'll knock the antenna loose but won't damage it.  It'll just fall to the back of the Jeep.  I didn't leave enough slack however, that it can come down and smack my back window.  Busted glass is expensive these days. ;)

I could have mounted a permanent antenna I suppose, but the thought of actually drilling a hole into the top of my Jeep wasn't really a consideration for me.  I try to avoid doing potential permanent damage.  The three small holes in the headliner can be made almost invisible with a minimum amount of work, & I figure that if someone wants to buy my 11 year old Jeep, they aren't going to care about something like that.  A hole in the roof is a different matter though.

My Cherokee's paid off too BTW.  Great feeling!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version