News > Current Severe Emergency Situations

need help convincing my wife to bug out

(1/4) > >>

phobos:
There is a train derailment 3 miles from my house. The government has only evaluated 1mile so she don't won't to leave. I'm at work. How should I try to talk her in to leasing to my judgment and not the government?

Morning Sunshine:
what is in the train?  is there a chemical spill? a risk of fire?  why should she - or anyone within the 1-mile radius - bugout?  answering these questions could change it from "my husband is paranoid" to "there could be a serious problem here"

Cedar:
Tell her to take the day and go window shopping for new shoes?

If it is this one: Freight train derails, catches fire in NE Indiana. LIGONIER, Ind. (AP) — The state environmental agency says a freight train that derailed and caught fire in rural northeastern Indiana was hauling hazardous substances. The train derailed about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday near the Noble County town of Ligonier, about 40 miles northwest of Fort Wayne. Noble County Sheriff Doug Harp tells WANE-TV that about a half dozen homes have been evacuated. Indiana Department of Environmental Management spokeswoman Amy Hartsock says tankers carrying molten sulfur and the gasoline additive toluene derailed. She says authorities evacuated a half-mile area as a precaution. Hartsock says firefighters are still battling a blaze emitting yellowish smoke more than three hours after the derailment. Officials also are trying to determine whether foam on the nearby Elkhart River might have come from the train.

Ask her to look up molten sulfur and when sulfur burns in air it produces sulfur dioxide. In water, this gas produces sulfurous acid and sulfites which at high concentrations these acids harm the lungs, eyes or other tissues.

And to look up toluene. Toluene should not be inhaled due to its health effects. Low to moderate levels can cause tiredness, confusion, weakness, drunken-type actions, memory loss, nausea, loss of appetite, and hearing and color vision loss. These symptoms usually disappear when exposure is stopped. Inhaling high levels of toluene in a short time may cause light-headedness, nausea, or sleepiness. It can also cause unconsciousness, and even death.

Tell her you love her and you want her to be safe, JUST IN CASE it heads her way and you are worried you are not there to protect her.

Cedar

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote ---Norfolk Southern Corp. issued the following update on the northeast Indiana trail derailment about 11:25 a.m. Tuesday:

An eastbound Norfolk Southern train derailed at 4:40 a.m. Tuesday morning west of Ligonier, Ind.
    The train consisted of three locomotives and 59 freight cars.
    Sixteen cars were empty and 43 were loaded. Norfolk Southern is working to determine how many cars have derailed.
    No injuries have been reported.
    A fire has been reported at the derailment site, and we are working with local emergency responders to contain it.
    The train was carrying a variety of commodities including the two products classified as hazardous materials, molten sulfur and toluene. Molten sulfur is used for making products such as plastics, dyes, detergents, pharmaceutical products, and fertilizer. Toluene is used for making products such as paint thinner, fingernail polish, and rubber.
    Track speed for freight trains along this route is 50 mph.
    An average of 90 to 100 trains use this rail line daily.

Additional updates will be provided as new information becomes available.
--- End quote ---

Mr. Bill:
Noble County train derailment causes home evacuations; hazardous toxins on board

--- Quote ---UPDATE: The original area evacuated was a half mile in each direction, but was downgraded to 300 yards. Six homes were evacuated in total. Water pollution remains the biggest concern, but not as big of a problem as they originally thought.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version