News > Current Severe Emergency Situations

Japan - Earthquake and Tsunami

(1/9) > >>

Xavier:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110311/ap_on_re_as/as_japan_earthquake

This really strikes home for all of us preppers.

As this story unfolds, you'll see subtle clues about how prepared/unprepared the population was for something like this.

For these people, this is a combo SHTF and TEOTWAWKI event.

It's a good example that shows how disaster can snowball.  In this case, it went EARTHQUAKE -> TSUNAMI -> POSSIBLE NUCLEAR PLANT RADIATION LEAK.

As a prepper, you have to think of the event, and then what effects will happen as a result of that event.  People always say that nuclear plants are "super safe" and "over engineered" and problems will "never happen."  Most likely, that is true.  But, imagine a SHTF event, like pandemic flu that kills or incapacitates the engineers and technicians that maintain the nuclear facility, what then?

--- Quote ---The government ordered thousands of residents near a nuclear power plant in Onahama city to evacuate because the plant's system was unable to cool the reactor. The reactor was not leaking radiation but its core remained hot even after a shutdown. The plant is 170 miles (270 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo.
Trouble was reported at two other nuclear plants as well, but there was no radiation leak at any.
--- End quote ---

Also, as a keen and observant prepper, when do you BUG OUT in this situation?  I tend to believe that the initial reports from something like this will always be a LIE because the government doesn't want to induce a panic.  Only when it's past the point of no return, and radiation is gushing like mad, will they tell the truth.

endurance:
Making too many assumptions at this point is risky.  I recall just a few weeks ago, as we watched the news trickle in on the Giffords story as it broke how initially it said an 'automatic weapon' was used.  The same will happen with this event.

What I'm taking away so far is that I really need to get my NOAA alert radio up and running again, but the damn silly alerts they send out for things like "high wind warnings" make the turn it off.  Neither I, nor the GF like getting woken up at 3:00am for an alert to tell me that it's windy outside.

This morning my Emergency E-mail Alert told me about the Tsunami... I LIVE AT 7400' IN COLORADO.  Seriously, I don't need to know.  It would be nice if there were some better filters on some of these tools.

This is why we prep.  While I stand no chance of ever being a victim of Tsunami at home, I doubt anyone in Hawaii spends much time thinking about wildland fire mitigation there.  While on vacation, we need to be aware of the local risks and have to plan for our safety just like we do at home.

Nicodemus:
It will be important to see what unfolds after the initial effects of the disaster and as time goes on we'll be able to gather some good information.

--- Quote from: Xavier on March 11, 2011, 08:04:50 AM ---Also, as a keen and observant prepper, when do you BUG OUT in this situation?  I tend to believe that the initial reports from something like this will always be a LIE because the government doesn't want to induce a panic.  Only when it's past the point of no return, and radiation is gushing like mad, will they tell the truth.

--- End quote ---

I disagree with this assessment. The possibility of panic is definitely a concern, but the long term effects of radiation exposure on a large population that wasn't evacuated or told the truth would be far more of a strain on resources and the government. If the general populace hurts one another in the wake of a disaster, blame can be placed on the shoulders of that population. Some blame will be placed on the government no matter what, but they don't want to deal with something as blatant as a coverup regarding radiation leaks. They also know that it would not be easy to cover such a thing up. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is also involved at the moment.

Regarding the time to Bug Out, in this particular situation, the time would be in the few moments after the earthquake and the tsunami warning went out. Most of us here would already have BOBs and BOVs ready to go so hopefully it would be possible to get ahead of most of the panic.

Spaghetti and Sauce:
I live in the UK so, this is unlikely to directly effect us, and (hopefully) this precise scenario is unlikely to ever effect us. But I'm using this as an awareness raising opportunity on a few websites and forums I frequent. People are more likely to listen and less likely to write you off as a nutter in the immediate aftermath of something like this. People will be talking about this for a few days, so it's a great opportunity to spread the message of prepping and make them think about all the things that *could* happen.

Our thoughts go to all those having to deal with this right now.

humanlaunchpad:
on a side note, i did see some oil tanks on fire there so they'll probably raise gas prices here.  ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version