Author Topic: Nebraska???  (Read 3294 times)

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
Re: Nebraska???
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
Thanks!  Everything just seemed to work out for the bed location.  They're on the south side of the house with lots of sun throughout the day, and we hated mowing that stupid hill.  There are several other places on the property that are wasted with grass right now.  Part of the 2 year plan will be more grass conversion to beds and we also need to start sketching out and figuring on how to get some food production going in the mature forest behind the house - while keeping the herd of deer from mowing down saplings and young trees.

Take pics as you redevelop your old deck area! 

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »

The new gate.

Nice.  You could put a few chickens in that area in the spring and fall and let them do a little tilling/weeding/pest control for you.  Probably have to put them somewhere safe from raccoons at night, though. 

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2013, 04:59:09 PM »
hey, anyone in here do any firearm or rifle training?  I'm doing 88tacticals intermediate fighting rifle course feb 8th and 9th.  A bit pricey, but not that bad when you consider the 20 hours of instruction you get.  https://88tactical.com/categories/7-rifle/courses/49-intermediate-fighting-rifle-combined-l1-l2/   any takers?

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »
XD, have you taken the intro to rifle course?  I think they list that a prerequisite.  I did a dry run bunker series class with them in Tekamah in the fall of 2012.  The instructors are mostly ex military, and seemed to know what they were doing.  I had a great time, and also want to take the rifle classes offered.  I will check out that class.  They have great facilities as well.

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
I didn't do the intro to rifle, they accepted my military as prereq.

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2014, 05:32:35 AM »
That's cool!  I don't have military time, so just waiting for intro..

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2014, 02:45:46 PM »
that's awesome man, I've just taking their intro to pistol and really enjoyed it.  the intermediate rifle is next weekend.  I'm taking their civilian first responder class feb 18th, and planning on more in the future.

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2014, 03:24:57 PM »
Nice.  You could put a few chickens in that area in the spring and fall and let them do a little tilling/weeding/pest control for you.  Probably have to put them somewhere safe from raccoons at night, though.
Ha!  I know chickens could do some serious good in there, and they're part of the long term plan, but not this season.  Maybe this year we'll try to put a driven point well with a pitcher pump in there to use for irrigation when necessary - groundwater should be about 20-25' bgs, so it's just a matter of how tight the formation is and whether it can produce enough water to pump.  There's also a small section of the backyard where we'd like to do some soil conditioning and try a few apple and pear trees. 

Since we're about 10 weeks out from the average last frost, over the weekend we inventoried seeds and ordered some more.  In a few weeks we'll be starting the peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos, fennel, and maybe some kale indoors.  We need to find a good source for asparagus crowns, too.  Anyone have a preferred source, or hardy crowns in your garden you're willing to split and trade?  Figured crowns instead of seeds would save a year between now and full production a few years down the road. 

What about you guys?  What are your 2014 garden(ish) plans?  Looking forward to getting to use newly built beds from last fall for the first time this year?  Planning on getting some new beds in once the soil thaws?  Finally doing rain barrels?  Adding chickens or any animals this year?  How about fruit or nut trees?  Earthwork plans?  Spring's right around the corner!

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »
hey guys, I did the 88tactical intermediate fighting rifle course this weekend, thought I'd do a review.

now that I'm not on my kindle, a little more in depth on the rifle course I froze at this weekend.

First and foremost, I had a lot of fun. It was cold as hell and there were times when my fingers and toes were freezing, but none fell off. On day two (the really cold day) we had a burn barrel going so when one relay was shooting, we could warm up. Overall, it's the most fun in zero degree weather I've had.

Day 1 was fairly basic. We started with some basic classroom time going over rifle basics. All stuff that most of us knew but a couple new ways to look at it and some things to think about were brought up. Then we went outside and got a good zero with our irons and optics. We did some speed drills and close distances as well as positional work and that was pretty much the conclusion of day 1. round expenditure, somewhere around 200-250

Day 2 was a hell of a lot of fun. We did a lot more speed drills, before including some manipulations (reloads and malfunctions clearing). Then we started on use of cover. Seems like such an easy concept, but there are definitely some finer points and tweaks to be made. We also did movement. both lateral and a little forward. We did some awesome (and aggravating) drills using the cover, transitioning positions, and having magazines with both empty shell casings and dummy rounds in them. We did a little (though not a lot) of transitioning to a pistol, but enough to get a little more comfortable with it and have some pistol fun. we also did a little multiple targets drill and 1 basic shoot/no shoot drill. we also did a couple drills to learn our individual sight offset for close range "critical" shots. To finish up the day, we did a timed cumulative drill. Shooting from 7 to 25 yards, using cover, using multiple positions, having to deal with at least 2 malfunctions firing at a 5 by 8 sheet of paper. The conditions of having a "qualifying time": must shoot at least one round from every stage. any manipulations must be done behind cover and all every shot (10 per sheet) have to land in that 5x8 sheet. I won the drill with 1:01 (second was 1:02) day 2 round expenditure: 300-350 rounds. 50 pistol rounds.

Final thoughts: Not only did I have a lot of fun and get to shoot 600 rounds out of my rifle, but I learned a lot and I'm much more confident about my individual competence with said rifle. I had a light lube on my rifle the first day. I added a very light coat of lube to it for the second day but didn't clean it. It was very dry air out there and I even left my rifle in the truck over lunch break on day 2 instead of bringing it in to warm up. Towards the very end, I could feel the bolt dragging a little when charging the weapon. For that last drill I resisted the temptation to throw a little lube on there before that cumulative drill. I didn't have any malfunctions (other than the ones forced on us) and my weapon fired well every time I pulled the bang switch. this was also the first time using my battle belt from HSGI.  I have the battle belt with a cobra riggers belt, two of their double rifle-1 pistol mag pouches, a serpa holster with the molle adapter.  The only downside of the belt was that a lot of position changes and movement, left it riding up higher on my waist (and a little loose) but to be honest, it's only something I noticed after action.  The molle adapter for the serpa doesn't fit right (one set of hooks will reach but not both) on the first day my holster fell off (luckly we weren't using pistols yet)  two zip ties fixed the problem.  Over all, I liked the gear and it allowed my to quickly access my gear.

One more thing, this class, while only intermediate, is something anyone can benefit from. One of the other students is a retired swat sergeant and trainer and he was there to stay sharp and felt that he benefitted greatly from it. The end

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2014, 04:11:26 PM »
First and foremost, I had a lot of fun. It was cold as hell and there were times when my fingers and toes were freezing, but none fell off. On day two (the really cold day) we had a burn barrel going so when one relay was shooting, we could warm up. Overall, it's the most fun in zero degree weather I've had.

Thanks for the AAR, XD40.  Good stuff; and now you know how your rifle runs below freezing! Most people have never had their rifle out at those temps, let alone gone through a class with the mercury that low. 

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2014, 07:09:04 PM »
Great report!  I am planning on the intro course in March.  What type of rifle were you running?  I am planning on using an AK 74 and a Glock. I know more about firearms than I do about rigging and mollee systems.  How many magazines should I be able to carry?  What sort of holster would be an advantage? 
   Did you get to tour the bunker?  I stayed there over a weekend for a dry run survival class.  Pretty cool place.

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »
I ran a colt 6940 with an eotech. You'll wanna be able to stow at least three rifle mags and a pistol mag. There was one guy rocking a stock an 74 and a 38 revolver.  little tip, find and buy some dummy rounds for it. Trust me it'll make you time easier and better. Any holster you can access will work. Not a lot of pistol work. The more total mags you have the better so you can load them during downtime and have em ready

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2014, 09:03:09 AM »
So it was a poodle shoot, eh?... ;D  Just kidding.  That is good stuff to know.  I will keep an eye out for .40SW snaps, and probably have to make the 5.45x39 dummies. Ive been saving my coin for either the carbine courses or a CCW.  OR both..:)

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
Sounds like a neat class. I am hoping to get into a carbine class out here by Lexington next time its offered. We have a 1000+ yard range here, and my goal this year is to get out and get better.

Also, are you guys members of the NFOA? (Nebraska Firearms Owners Association) Its free, and the forum there has lots of good discussion regarding the political side of firearms, as well as other tips and fun.

I also need to get my holster business a bit more organized and maybe get some online selling going instead of just at gun shows. I definitely need to get my shop reorganized before that.

The patio/old deck area is hopefully going to get some sort of hard covering, either red bricks or concrete squares, and then a  trellis around it to grow the beans and peas. I am ready for spring for sure.
RipT

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
Yep!  Im a member of NFOA.  My sister lives in North Platte, so its good to know a 1000 yd range is closeby..:)

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »
Also, are you guys members of the NFOA? (Nebraska Firearms Owners Association) Its free, and the forum there has lots of good discussion regarding the political side of firearms, as well as other tips and fun.
Absolutely!  Joining and supporting the NFOA is hands down, the most effective use of your time to support your firearm rights at the State level.  Like Rip said, it's free to join, though donations are gratefully accepted, and there's plenty of volunteer opportunities as well.  Full disclosure on my NFOA enthusiasm, I served on the board of directors for three years and was the president last year.  Family time constraints with a toddler at home and another due in April led me to step down from the board this year.  Rip, I just now put it together in my head with you and your holster business.  We chatted a bit back at your holster tent during the NFOA Annual Members meeting last fall.  Small world!

So my two year old and I started pepper seeds this week.  We'll start our tomato, tomatillo, fennel, and kale seeds in the next week or two.  Our homeschool tot school science experiment this week was transplanting several pineapple tops that we got to sprout roots while soaking them in water over the last couple weeks.  How's that for starting plants from outside your growing zone?  Pineapples in freaking Nebraska - even if they are only indoors half the year.

Oh, and the weekend looks like fantastic weather.  Anyone heading out to the range?  Some buddies and I are going to Midwest Tactical Solutions' Carbine Skillbuilder on Saturday.  John's a great instructor and you can't beat the price for a half day of friendly competition and instruction. 

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum W!! I'll be at the Hastings show this weekend if anyone is going.

Hoping to get my seeds started this next week. Weather is crazy enuf I am holding off a bit from what I did last year. Did start yard cleanup though and rearranged my woodpile.

RipT

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
Holy crap..spring might have arrived..more or less..lol.  Getting the planting itch.  GF and I went to a preppers meeting at the Gretna American Legion.  Ran into ORherbalmed and his wife there.  Nice group of folks.  Every third Wed of the month.  Might need nametags of our forum names.:)

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
Yes, I still haven't started my seeds, but I think Spring has sprung. Hopefully this weekend will bear some seed time.

Hastings Gun Show went well, and I sold a lot of holsters. Bought myself an antique Trapdoor 45-70 to play with. Looking forward to that. Nice thing is its a non-gun with its antique status, and its cut down to 20".  I have a nice stock of blackpowder, and cast my own bullets, so it sounds like a good backup game taking gun if nothing else if s should htf. I am just awaiting my reloading dies and some brass.

I am looking into some different ways of securing my yard from view via trellis and lattice, and adding some good vine growing spots for beans, peas, etc. My previous version I did last August has been scrapped for a new version now that the deck is gone.
RipT

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
An old trapdoor would be cool.  I am cleaning up wind damage around the place.  I should be ready for spring, however.  I have a large pile of branches left over from a tree I had cut down, and another pile that was there when I bought the place.  Been waiting for a calm day to burn it, but that hasn't happened yet when I am home.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »
Seeds are laid out for tomorrow morning planting in my little pods. Looking at a variety of peppers, black tomatoes of several varieties, and some cucumbers to get started tomorrow. I will spread some wildflower seed tomorrow outside and see what takes.

Casting bullets tomorrow as well. Hope to get a hundred or so 405Gr 45s and at least 500 250gr 45s cast up and get some smelting done as well.

Sirosis, Can you hugelkulture any of that wood or is it just twig stuff?

RipT

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
watering my different beds  (especially the garden be b/c the leaves still have plenty of breaking down to do.)  and turning is all I've really gotten done so far.

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »
You can hugelkulture any wood that will rot.  Black locust, and any really hard wood isnt the best choise as it wont rot.  I am using birch, and some ash I think.  I underestimated how much dirt I needed to cover it up.  Last year, I had a bum ankle, no skidsteer, and only a pickup to haul dirt.  I need more dirt this year...lol.

The next prepper meeting in Gretna is April 23.  I plan on going this month.  They seem like a good group of folks, and its nice to be in the company of people who are looking at things in the same light.

Started reading 299 Days.  On book 3 now.  Pretty decent so far, the story is compelling, and a bit prophetic, with a lot of stuff matching up to today's events. 

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
Where did everyone go?  I see its been a over a year since I posted last, and I was the last one...lol.  Hope everyone is doing well.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2015, 08:31:12 PM »
I'm doing good. Just been busy building holsters and doing the daily grind for the man.. Garden is small this year and is mostly tomatoes and peppers. Ript

Offline bottleneck

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Bottleneck Homestead
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2015, 10:18:30 PM »
hey guys, here to reawaken you from out by scottsbluff.

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2015, 11:44:34 PM »
Hi there Bottleneck. How's everyone doing on their preparedness skills/goals for the year? A buddy finally talked me into studying foe amateur radio. In Sept I passed my Technician and General tests for ham licensing and I plan on taking the test for Extra in a couple weeks. Garden harvest was good this year. Lots of fresh veggies and we canned a jalapeƱo salsa, salsa verde, tomato sauce, and applesauce. Also tried some lactofermentation on green tomatoes, pickles, and jalapeƱos.

Offline JustusWest

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
Hello Bottleneck, 

I grew up by the Chadron area, but now live in Rapid City.  Your one of the first people i have seen on here from our general area.  Welcome!

Offline Beetlebum

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2016, 03:55:23 PM »
Hey all,

I moved up to Lincoln Nebraska about 6 months ago. Is so much greener than central/south Texas! This thread has been quiet but is there any other activity happening?

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »
Not too much. I just harvested my plum tree a few weeks ago and made some jelly. Gave lots and lots of plums to the neighborhood in the hopes they will not preharvest them for me in the future... The last few years I didn't have enough to make jelly with as they were heavily sampled before they were ready....

I've been renovating a bit of my garage for more organization and to do some woodworking to go along with my leatherworking I already do. My plan is to focus my holster making biz a bit into fancier and more western styles and try to keep out of the humdrum boring stuff that it has become in the last year or two.

My wife has been hitting the farmers market, and is getting much better about buying local produce instead of Walmart... YAY.

Otherwise, still working and trying to live...