Author Topic: Nebraska???  (Read 3313 times)

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
Re: Nebraska???
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »
I am already working on my garden beds a little bit, and planning my irrigation set up a little better.

Had a mini home disaster in the first part of december with some smoke damage to the house, so have been occupied with that. If you want to realize how much extra stuff you have and don't need, have an almost fire in your house and see what you decide to throw away..... ;)

RipT

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »
I am already working on my garden beds a little bit, and planning my irrigation set up a little better.

Had a mini home disaster in the first part of december with some smoke damage to the house, so have been occupied with that. If you want to realize how much extra stuff you have and don't need, have an almost fire in your house and see what you decide to throw away..... ;)
RipT
RipT - That's a bummer.  Glad the house was saved and nobody was hurt, though!

As for me, I've got garlic shoots, from the fall planting, peeking through the mulch and snow in one of my garden beds from the warm spell we had in January.  It's a good thing that stuff is so hardy. 

And it's been a very busy couple months for me keeping up with all of the gun bills that are being introduced in Lincoln this session.  There are some good ones (Firearms Freedom Act, Nebraska Gun Rights Bill, CCW Signage Standardization, and others) and a few terrible ones (like Ashford's bill that makes gun owners civilly liable if your firearm is stolen and used in a crime).  I know RipT is and some of the other NE TSP folks are Nebraska Firearms Owners Association members, but if you aren't yet, you can also keep up with the status of gun-related bills by joining the NFOA (it's free!) to receive Nebraska gun bill legislative alerts and calls to action.   

Hope the link to NFOA site doesn't violate TSP forum rules, it's a 501c4 grassroots non-profit and I thought it would be of interest to Nebraska TSP members concerned about current gun rights battles in our state.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »
Your right, Z.
NFOA is a good group for your rights here in Nebraska. Join up and get informed.
RipT

Offline goataroo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
It's good to know there are at least a few Nebraskans hanging around here.  I live and work in Lincoln, and am  surrounded mostly by folks who do not share my views. I'll leave it at that.   ::)   Been listening to TSP for a few years now, but I'm just now trying to get more active in the forum.    Also good to know that a few NFOA members are also TSP folks!  That's one of my hubby's favorite forums.

Beth

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2013, 09:17:34 AM »
a little update.  My gf is much more on board now.  Not as much as from the prepper view point, but She's looking forward to adding some gardening and rabbits this spring.  Gonna try adding some berry bushes as well as a small vegetable garden in the spring.  Working on my BOB and trying to get more people thinking about prepping (seems like it should be easier)  Have a little bit of cash stowed away and am on track to have my debt cleared out my 2014.

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about the house, RipT.  Glad to hear your gf is on board more, XD! Welcome to the boards Beth! 
      I am just watching it snow at the moment.  The planning for some woody beds is underway, ordering seeds this weekend.  There is a free gun range in Uehling (18 miles or so north of Fremont).  You have to obtain written permission, and pick up your brass, but a nice spot for 100 and 200 yd shooting.  One of the owners of a bar there grants permission slips.  Are their any local meetups still going on?  Seems like one group was meeting at the Gretna Legion club, but haven't looked into it anymore...

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »
Having to pick up brass is not a problem around here. Its like gold in our house.... Glad you have a spot. We now have a range about 5 miles away, and it is nice. Membership type range, but 2000m steel plates, and a tower to shoot out of. I think I will start on the 400-500 and see what my Garand will do one of these days...

Been pushing snow since 4 am. Yuck. Sucks being on the city snow crew. I used to enjoy snow. Made for good rabbit hunting.

I spread out some grass seed last night after the 1st inch of snow or so. We shall see what happens. It was an old bag in the garage, so some of it might take. I have some of my plants started already, and my indoor pepper plants are taking off well again after losing all their leaves. I need to add a plum tree to my yard this year. The one I added 2 years ago is doing well, but I need two for fruit.

RipT

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »
That sounds like a nice range! 

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2013, 09:01:50 PM »
It is a nice range, but pricey to join. I haven't joined yet, but am lucky enough to get to go out a few times a year on invites. We do a machine gun shoot there twice a year as well.
I got an AR recently, so that will be something to try out as well.
RipT

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:35 PM »
I bought a Saiga 5.45x39...cheaper and available ammo...;-).  Research Russian 7N6 rounds...accurate as 5.56.. About $450/2160 rds.

Offline Bronco53

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »
Hi all, SE NE checking in for the first time.  Just got on the forum yesterday.  I grew up in Wilber but live further SE of there now.  I work for the USPS but getting close to retiring (32 years) and moving to CO. You can check out my intro on the introduction area if you are interested in more of my bio.  We garden, can veggies, meat and salsa etc.  Looking forward to spring and getting the garden in.
Jim

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »
Welcome Jim..
Make yourself at home. Nebraska page is a little slow, but still good.
RipT

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »
Welcome to the Nebraska page...yeah, its a bit slow, but I hope we build some momentum.  There is a self-reliance expo in Des Moines that Jack is speaking at June 28th I believe.  I plan on attending, maybe get a carpool?

Offline Bronco53

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2013, 07:10:51 PM »
The drive from Omaha to Des Moines is the most boring drive I have ever made.  Sounds like it might break up the boredom to car pool.

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
hey everyone, been too  long since I've been on the forum.  got my garden bed all planned out and prepared, working on getting things set up for rabbits so things are starting to come along. 

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
One of my runs in the past (I drive semi) was Omaha to Des Moines..twice a night.  At least in the dark it wasn't so bad...lol. 

It is 80 today.  It feels like 110 after the past few weeks.  Dug out a swale on a countour in the back yard, building a huglekulter bed.  Neighbor says go for the 5' tall kind, she is interested on how it works..she cant bend over to garden much anymore, and is excited to see something she doesn't have to bend over on. 
  When I get it done will post pics (if no pics it didnt happen..lol)

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2013, 07:35:15 AM »
Anyone ever checked out 88tactical out of Omaha ?

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
I did an Aftermath Survival run through, kind of a guinea pig for them back in October I think.  The instructors seem to be top notch, LE and former special ops.  I am saving up to take a Carbine class through them. 

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
Also to report.  The Uehling range is closed to the public, the city is trying to figure out their insurance exposure.  Meanwhile, I joined the Wahoo Gun Club.  $30/year.  Range is a little rough, but suits me just fine.  100 and 200 yd.  Its someplace to shoot.  Just show respect, as the city wants the range closed.  I am trying a hugelbed this year.  Been slow planting it, due to rain and other factors.  My Dad died about 2 weeks ago, so everything had been put on hold.  He was in good health we thought...had a stroke at 73.  Check your coratid arteries out.
   My gf and I are planning on attending the Self Reliance Expo in Des Moines.  Is anyone else going?

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »
just recently bought a colt 6940.  Had to work some good overtime to get it, but it was worth it. Only put about 100 rounds through it so far, but there's plenty more to come.  My garden isn't working out as well as I'd like.  It's at my girlfriend's place so I don't get to tend it very often so only about 30% of what I put in is working out.  That's alright, I've learned a few things and it's the first year without much prep time for it so I'm confident next year will be better.  Almost have my debt all cleared out so that's a plus.  All in all, I think things are going well. 

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2013, 02:12:22 PM »
Great news XD40! Debt is bad.... I am still working on mine.

I also got a new defensive rifle this year, and have maybe put 150 rounds through it so far. Hoping to get it out in the next few weeks and get it dialed in better.

My garden is growing but slowly. I have peas picked, and carrots growing. My peppers and tomatoes are just now starting to come on strong. Seems everything was delayed this year.

My holster business is doing well though, and pays for itself and some toys at least. Keeps the free time occupied with productivity anyway.

RipT

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »
I know I could go to a different thread for this, but I'd prefer to keep the Nebraska board humming.  Some of my cherry tomatoes seem to be rotting on the vine.  there will be black and near black dime sized spots on the bottom.  Not on all of them, but some of them.  Seems a lot of them are also cracking or being mushy.  First year gardening, is this tomato blight (or whatever you call it) I always hear about?

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »
just got on brink of freedom. anyone else on?

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2013, 09:38:05 PM »
Working on it but slowly... Freedom was close 4 years ago when the truck just got paid off. Then my boy was born and the truck got totaled in the yard within 2 days of each other. SO, the newer truck is about paid off, then we start again....but from a much better position than before.

My holster business is picking up pretty good, so that brings in enough to pay for itself for the most part. Not full time by any means, but enjoyable still..

I canned pickles this last weekend, and am enjoying the art of canning finally. I want to break out my pressure cooker and try to can some deer and see how that turns out. Otherwise, garden is doing alright, but slow growing.

RipT

Offline JarKodiak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »
I may or may not being writing "I miss America" on many of the bills I spend.  it'll be cool if any come back to me. long term project.

Offline sirosisofliver

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
RipT, if you can venison, my neighbor cans it, but I think she cooks it for seven minutes first, then she pressure cans it.  It turns out great, tastes like good beef stew meat when she is done, and its tender as well. 

My first hugel bed was a mixed result; got some beans out of it, but I didn't have nearly enough dirt on it.  It settled throughout the year and exposed some of the wood.  But the rabbits didn't touch anything!

Been shooting at the Wahoo Gun club some.  There is another range near Lyons that sound promising, out to 600 yards.  $10 all day, call ahead for appt.  Since we seem to be the only people in Nebraska...lol...anyone for a meetup this fall?  I am outside of Omaha about 40 miles west.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2013, 06:05:30 AM »
I'm still hoping to can some this year but haven't had much time lately. Holster making is keeping the free time away.
My garden boxes did good this year. I cut them way back from what I had planted in previous years and actually did alright. Tomatoes were sparse and squash was planted too late to mature. The rest did good though and I canned lots of pickles. Even did some pickled green beans.

Had a range day at out local range a few weeks ago. Got some good practice in clear out to 1000 yards, but feel confident at 600.

RipT

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »
I know I could go to a different thread for this, but I'd prefer to keep the Nebraska board humming.  Some of my cherry tomatoes seem to be rotting on the vine.  there will be black and near black dime sized spots on the bottom.  Not on all of them, but some of them.  Seems a lot of them are also cracking or being mushy.  First year gardening, is this tomato blight (or whatever you call it) I always hear about?
Apologies for the late response, but is this what you were dealing with, XD40? 

That's blossom end rot.  You can minimize it by trying to maintain consistent soil moisture (mulch helps with this A LOT, so if you don't put chemicals on your lawn, try putting your grass clippings on all exposed soil in your garden beds), prevent calcium deficiency by conditioning your soil (you can do this with commercial mixes, lime, or save your egg shells in the kitchen, crush them up and use them to condition your garden bed - even dropping crushed shells into the hole before you plant the toms will help), and check that your pH is in the neighborhood of 6-7.  Also, try planting several varieties of toms each year so you can compare the performance between the different types.  You may have better luck with other varieties.  Oh, and blossom end rot doesn't affect the whole fruit - when I encounter it, I just cut that part of the tom and use the rest of it for cooking/canning.

For cracking, are you seeing symptoms like this?

That's a result of significant fluctuations in soil moisture.  If I had to guess, I'd say that you probably started seeing this in mid-late July and Aug when it gets really hot during the day?  If you soak the tomato plants in watering, the plants and fruit will suck that water up and the fruit will expand.  If the plant/fruit had been parched before your watering, the swelling will cause the cracks.  You can minimize these effects by using a thick layer of mulch to protect the soil and try using soaker or driplines if you irrigate your garden beds.  Hope that helps!

Offline W

• Prepper
  • Rifleman
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »
My garden boxes did good this year. I cut them way back from what I had planted in previous years and actually did alright. Tomatoes were sparse and squash was planted too late to mature. The rest did good though and I canned lots of pickles. Even did some pickled green beans.
Jealous of your green beans... ours were a failure this year.  However, we had LOTS of toms and peps, and canned 19 pints of salsa just before the first frost.  Biggest garden infrastructure improvement was finishing two new retaining walls, filling them with soil, and completing a new fence around the whole thing to keep the smaller critters out (and hopefully deter the deer).  Even built a gate in the fence, so no more climbing over the old 3' fence - which the Mrs. is excited about.  Here are a couple pics:

The new gate.

Perimeter fence; it's tough to see the chicken wire on the inside of the lumber.  The lower two tiers were the additions this summer.  Gonna wait and see if the 4' fence deters the deer before cutting the posts to length - just in case we need to extend fencing up a couple more feet. 

Now to look forward at the upcoming indoor projects during the winter.  Anybody have fun projects planned during the cold weather?

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2013, 06:27:47 AM »
That's a nice use of space for your garden on the slope! I am thinking about reengineering my boxes next year. I took down the old deck in back and have gained some room that way. Not sure yet. May just make a patio with planters around it. I do have my beans and peas slated for trellis around the patio for sure.