Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Outdoors Activities

winter backpacking

<< < (11/11)

Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY):

--- Quote from: Andy in NH on December 23, 2011, 08:35:55 PM ---I'm not sure how cold your winters get, but around here they are cold enough to really challenge a hammock sleeper.

I slept in my Hennessey Hammock during the early fall (and not this weird warm one) and needed extra insulation under me to keep warm. The open space under the hammock really contributes to convection heat loss.

Hammocks are really comfortable to sleep in if you are a back or side sleeper.

The drawback is when you are in a hammock you can't do much in there; cooking, drying gear, and prepping for the next day all become really problematic.

--- End quote ---

The insulation under you compresses and becomes useless. I use a sleeping pad and an underquilt made from a children's sleeping bag. But given the coldest I've slept in is around 17F while snowing. With my extra large tarp I can cook under it and hang gear from the line. I sleep on my side and stomach so I bought a double hammock that allows me to lay how I want.

This is why I didn't go with a package deal like Hennessey while they are nice I have only spent about $80 in my setup. I do plan on making my own snake skins to use with my hammock setup.

On another note how much do one of these stoves weigh?

Mr. Red Beard (UKtheBUNNY):
I saw this guy a while back here in Arkansas using a stove with his custom hammock. His setup takes it to another extreme.

KellyFromRegimentAirsoft:
One pro tip. Link you mitts together with a string, pull string up threw the arm holes and around to the other side. Less likely to loose mitts than way.

If your hiking with snow shoes really take notice on the load limits. The Canadian army tried off the shelf snow shoes rated for 400 pounds, well when you get a 250pd guy and give him 100pds of equipment then get him to run the shoes don't really hold up.

Its already been mentioned but sleds really take the load off highly recommended and make sure to bring sunglasses / goggles snow blindness is a real pain in the ass.

One trick from my army days. Not sure if this is a good idea or just because we couldn't have fire at night. Fill a water bottle with snow and place it between you and the inside of your jacket, your body heat will melt the water during the day and you will always have water to drink.

surfivor:

I use a rucksack for winter day hikes. It's useful for carrying extra equipment, clothing etc. A rucksack is bigger than a day pack but is not a full size pack and is very useful to have

I have the LL Bean continental pack and some other type as well

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/116656?page=llbean-continental-rucksack

Alanpandew:
When traveling winter, in addition to clothes, buy a travel bottle that keeps the heat compact and helps store hot water for a long time. Cold water or ice water will quickly lower your body temperature. Always eat hot foods. A little chili, pepper or garlic during meals helps better digestion, increase body temperature and can avoid diarrhea when using other water sources or by eating strange foods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version