Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Hobbies, a prepper/homesteader perspective

<< < (2/5) > >>

IKN:

--- Quote from: Carver on February 15, 2020, 10:13:48 PM ---Just to turn it around a bit, how can some hobbies be preparedness related? I'm a fan of watching "Tracks Ahead" about model railroading and restoration of trains. How could that connect with preparedness? I'm not a doer, only a watcher but these people are really, really into it.

--- End quote ---

I believe it's more of a mindset. Another hobby I didn't mention I have is prospecting. While not a direct prepping need, it allows for acquiring untraceable monetary wealth.
I've never seen or heard of "Tracks Ahead", but model railroading could require learning DC electrical circuits and inverters. Skills that could be handy if the need to repair or troubleshoot an inverter type generator.
At first glance, things like hobbies might not appear to be prepper related, but can have skill development that does.

Carver:

--- Quote ---At first glance, things like hobbies might not appear to be prepper related, but can have skill development that does.
--- End quote ---

I think you nailed it there. In other words doing a project is mind/hand development. "Hobby" has connotations of stamp collecting, model trains, astronomy etc. But if you substitute "hobby" with "project" it is easier to make a connection with prepping in that involves innovative thinking to accomplish a goal. As an example, I do not have a hobby of making a better mousetrap but I do have a project of making a mousetrap. This involves: 1) Studying my target; mice. 2) developing a strategy. 3) Trial and error.
Of course the University of YouTube is indispensable in research. The takeaway is that I am learning how to deal with a recognized situation that needs my personal ability to think and do.

Greekman:
I think that the core f the question is which of your hobbies would be valuable to a community/group family (say in an economy collpase.)

IKN, i think metal fabrication would be of the most sought after skills, next to a surgeon

As for me:
HAM RAdio & Flashlights (among others)
Beyond the obvious uses and value, they both require off grid power to run, hence you can call me Advanced on such systems.
That means the ability to set up a solar system and the ability to convert one type of electrical current to another (220V to 12V  to USB etc)

IKN:
Greekman is correct, although skills and/or equipment attained can have function for things other than a major collapse.
For instance, camping and hiking could hone skill sets invaluable if one were to become stranded in the middle of nowhere. Developed skills like making a fire for cooking, warmth, and security until help arrives or learning to navigate cross country using a compass or even without.

CarbideAndIron:
I definitely enjoy working with metal too (I have carbide in my screen name, haha). Mostly just cutting it, as I used to be a machinist, and now program cnc mills for my job. But I am honing the welding skills now, working on making stuff for my Jeep. I am very much looking forward to getting my move over with, so I can finally put my manual mill in my shop, then get a decent welder and press brake.

But the move will make us hone a whole new set of skills, animal husbandry. We are getting a decent size of property that has pasture and all the outbuildings needed for some livestock! Except my wife and I have zero experience with that. Luckily we both have friends and family that do, so my next few years will probably be some tough lessons on how to deal with animals that aren't pets.
I am qualifying this as a hobby, since we aren't getting many animals, and are not interested in making money off of them. We would just like to provide our own food and teach our children in the process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version