Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Hobbies, a prepper/homesteader perspective

<< < (5/5)

theBINKYhunter:
Yes they are. I've got a monoprice and am looking at upgrading to an Ender or going way out there with a Prusa. The MP is good but only has a 6in x 6in print area so it's very limiting. I'd like to get the bigger print area with one of the other printers so I can print larger, functional things and work with different materials.

What did you print the fence post caps out of? Are you concerned about warping in the sun/heat?

fritz_monroe:

--- Quote from: theBINKYhunter on April 09, 2020, 03:32:34 PM ---Yes they are. I've got a monoprice and am looking at upgrading to an Ender or going way out there with a Prusa. The MP is good but only has a 6in x 6in print area so it's very limiting. I'd like to get the bigger print area with one of the other printers so I can print larger, functional things and work with different materials.

What did you print the fence post caps out of? Are you concerned about warping in the sun/heat?

--- End quote ---
I have an Ender 3 Pro.  It's about 8.5"x8.5"  You may want to look at the Ender 5, it's almost 2x the print size of the Ender 3.

I just used PLA.  In this case I'm not worried about warping or anything with these.  The whole purpose is to keep the rain out and they will do fine for that.  I printed a couple spares just in case.  I've been using Inland filament from Microcenter, it's only $15 per spool, so each cap cost about $0.02 each plus electric use.

Ken325:
My number one rule for hobbies is no expensive hobbies.  No expensive  boats, airplanes, horses, sports cars, or expensive hunting trips.  It may seem like I spend a lot on my hobbies, but compare it to really expensive hobbies and my hobbies are nothing.  I may have a lot of pocket knives, nice camping gear, and a high end computer but this is nothing compared to the cost of a $20,000 boat. I know people who spend 40,000/ yr on horses. Don't  fall into this trap.  There are lots of enjoyable hobbies that are less expensive.  Spend $400 on archery equipment and you can shoot for hours and have a blast.  $400 will get you an nice set of backpacking gear.  So my advice is have a few hobbies but no expensive hobbies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version