Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Homesteading and Self Reliant Living

Hobbies, a prepper/homesteader perspective

<< < (3/5) > >>

IKN:
Kudos, my wife and I have a small farm and raise animals as well. It's a rewarding endeavor, but comes with its own cost.
We find it difficult anymore to find responsible people to care for the animals if we decide to travel. Even our kids (grown and out of the house) don't want to do it, yet they still want to enjoy the benefits of having the farmstead to come and play, hunt, etc.
Any idea what type of animals you wish to raise ?

robkaiser.me:
Interesting...as I begin to take this seriously now - I'm beginning to think about hobbies that I can monetize.

However, my entire *life* has basically been my hobby and vice versa.

I've spent more than 20 years in the green industry and work what could be considered a dream job.

Working even harder to leave it because I'm not working for myself...and therefore less free.

But - that's a lifetime of experience that I think I could harness, especially given my current situation.

It's amazing how much financial debt can cripple you, but the freedom from it can open so many doors.

I'm learning this right now and am hoping to turn current hobbies/career into self-employment/freedom.

Then I'll consider finding a new hobby.  Currently, I just need to optimize the current ones!

CarbideAndIron:

--- Quote from: IKN on February 19, 2020, 08:35:38 AM ---Kudos, my wife and I have a small farm and raise animals as well. It's a rewarding endeavor, but comes with its own cost.
We find it difficult anymore to find responsible people to care for the animals if we decide to travel. Even our kids (grown and out of the house) don't want to do it, yet they still want to enjoy the benefits of having the farmstead to come and play, hunt, etc.
Any idea what type of animals you wish to raise ?

--- End quote ---

It sounds like you guys have set up the life that we are working towards. I am really getting excited already for next years hunting season. We get a lot of nice looking bulls and bucks on the property, probably lured in from the fruit trees. And I have plenty of land to shoot there. We're building a shooting range as well.

Care for the critters while on vacation is definitely something we are talking about a lot. We don't go on many vacations, we like to stay around home when I'm not working. But for the 2-3 camping trips we look forward to each year, we will certainly need someone to watch over our animals. I am hoping that just 6 chickens and 2 goats will be a very manageable amount. We have friends local that know more about this stuff than we do, so it wouldn't be much effort for them to check in.

IKN:
Sounds like you have a plan.
Chickens don't require a lot if free ranged besides predator concerns. Goats would be similar unless they are dairy goats and need milked. That's part of our issue since we have dairy goats and milk them.

Gamer:

--- Quote from: IKN on February 15, 2020, 10:36:25 AM ---What hobbies do you have that you have found to benefit your preparations ?
--- End quote ---

I've been a strategy gamer for over 40 years, first with figures, then boards, and now computers, and I like to think I'm a bit of a hotshot at strategy, tactics, overall organisation and planning, so I say bring on a post-apoc world survival situation, I can handle it..:)
Below- a 6" trophy I won for topping an online wargame league under my wargaming name 'Poor Old Spike', it sits on its own small table in my living room carefully positioned so that it's the first thing guests see when they arrive, and I can keep steering the conversation towards it during the course of the evening..:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version