Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

GMRS vs MURS

<< < (3/9) > >>

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: Biff on September 06, 2009, 06:35:31 PM ---Anyone have any thoughts about eXRS?...

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Biff on September 06, 2009, 06:37:51 PM ---And yes I read the thread at http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3602.0 but no one commented on it.

--- End quote ---

I just added a bit of info to that thread.

K9STU:
Quick Facts!

1.All of these radios are FM modulated and under good conditions they sound great! If you have ever heard a police radio you know how these radios sound.
2.MURS Radios use VHF frequencies (very high frequencies) GMRS and FRS radios use UHF frequencies (ultra high frequencies)
3.Providing you are using the same power output, both VHF and UHF travel about the same distance but UHF goes through buildings better.
4.FRS Radio's are limited to 1/2 watt - MURS are limited to 2 watts - GMRS is limited to 50 watts.
5.All of these radios are "Line of Site". If you can see each other, you can talk to each other. If there are buildings in the way, your communications may only be a half mile to several miles but if one person is standing in a park and the other is on a mountain top 40 miles away you should be able to talk with no problem. More power can be a factor.
6.Antenna, Antenna, Antena! Having a radio that lets you take off the included rubber duck antenna and connect an antenn with "gain" allows you to greatly extend your range.

See my full article at http://www.gorsky.com/ham_radio/portal.htm Select the link for FRS-GMRS-MURS-eXtreme radio.

Kagetsu:
GMRS. Business radio that I have only had contact with companies that used a radio, I think fall in this range, though I'm not sure. In real life i wouldn't go near business radio, a waste of time. Who can I contact is my priority. Hams first, for the best frequency range and power. CB for general road travel because that's what drivers use. FRS for anyone else. It's low power can be an advantage, less distance clutter. But I keep thinking of breaking a unit apart to make it work better as a car mobile unit.

Gunz:
I am curious if the MURS M538-HT  is able to have the antenna switched out for the gain discussed here...any input is appreciated, thanks

rob_ma:

--- Quote from: Gunz on March 11, 2010, 02:28:29 PM ---I am curious if the MURS M538-HT  is able to have the antenna switched out for the gain discussed here...any input is appreciated, thanks

--- End quote ---

The M538-HT has a non-standard antenna connector so there is no commercially available off the shelf replacement. I have had customers tell me that they have created custom 1/4 wave whips by matching the threaded stud on the original antenna.

- Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version