Author Topic: Is my 10/22 accurate?  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Is my 10/22 accurate?
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:12:06 AM »
I got a 10/22 about 20 years ago at a gun show.  It came with a decent scope and cost $100.

I haven't taken really good care of it.  It was my first gun since I was kid so I didn't know how to clean it gently.  Hate to admit it, but I used a brass brush aggressively and without lube.  I cringe at that now.

I found ammo it likes (Winchester Super X 40 grain).  I tested it and this ammo gives me the best groups.  So it's not the ammo. 

Trigger pull is pretty bad.  Almost as bad as a double action pistol. 

On a rest at 100 yards with no wind I got 15 out of 25 in the 2 inch ring.  Five out of 25 in the three inch ring and the other five farther out but still on the paper (which is probably my fault).  This was with a warm barrel (put about 300 rounds through it before this 25 shot group).  Outside temperature was about 50 degrees.

Is this within normal 10/22 standards for accuracy?  Or have I abused my gun and now I'm paying the price.

I would use it for practice shooting at silhouettes at 100 yards and for small game hunting.  I'm guessing it's accurate enough for small game at ranges from 10 to 50 yards, which is a realistic rabbit or squirrel range.  But shooting without a rest I'm getting only about half of my hits on silhouettes (that "ping" sound tells me I've hit them) at 100 yards.  These are regulation small silhouettes and some bigger ones.

I can live with this accuracy--it's a $100 gun show gun after all.  And it might be that I am the problem and need more practice.  And I'm not an ultra serious bench rest guy who freaks out if a group is one inch at 100 yards.  But I don't want to practice with a gun that's not as accurate as it should be.  I start practicing work arounds that may not be the best practice because the best practice would be hits in the cross hairs at 100 yards every time.  Know what I mean?

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
Re: Is my 10/22 accurate?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »
I'm no expert, but I'd say that was about average. 100 yard shooting with a 22 is a tricky propositon. You might want to try some groups at 25 or 50 yards first just to get a good feel for everything before moving out to 100.

Also the trigger on the 10/22 does leave a lot to be desired. Power Custom and Volquartsen both make great aftermarket hammer and sear kits that will reduce the triggr pull from the factory 7-8 pounds to a 2-3 pound pull. Fairly cheap and easy to install too.

Offline NC Rifleman

• Prepper
  • General Class in Ham Radio
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:33:18 AM »
Thats accurate enough for me.  Most of the time the operator cant shoot better then the rifle.  Your shooting about 3 Minutes Of Angle with a few flyers.  So 4 MOA or so. At 25 yards 4MOA would be a 1" group. Thats a good standard in my mind.  Thats the rifleman's standard 4MOA.

If you have not done so yet, take the rifle apart and clean it well, then oil the trigger and bolt assembly.  That may help your trigger pull.

Next I would challenge you practice off the rest like you would be shooting in the field.  A good GI web sling will be your best friend when you get off the rest so I would get one on your rifle ASAP as well.  If you really want to improve your marksmanship I would highly recommend going to a Appleseed shoot.  For $75 you will not spend the money any better to improve your shooting ability.

Offline RedneckFur

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »
Thats plenty good for a 10/22. Iv'e seen many that shot worse.  I wouldnt worry about getting agressive with a bronze brush every now and then.  Bronze is alot softer than steel, and you'll have to wear out many brushes before your barrel is worn out.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:11:08 PM »
Shorten it up to 50 feet & you'll get a better idea of how accurate that particular gun is.  I think you'll be surprised at just how accurate an out of the box 10/22 can be, even an old one that's been loved hard.  Work your way out, provided you have the space, to see where the shots start to open up.

Most small game shots are going to be fairly short range & the 10/22 is a fine choice.  Like some of the others have said, there are aftermarket parts to slick the little gun up with if you've got the coin to spend, but as is it's perfectly adequate.