Author Topic: .22 long rifle conversion for AR-15?  (Read 9174 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
.22 long rifle conversion for AR-15?
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:38:27 PM »
I'm thinking about getting a .22lr conversion kit for my AR-15 to save on ammo costs.

Anybody have any thoughts?  I have a Bushmaster A2.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: .22 long rifle conversion for AR-15?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 03:54:07 PM »
Heavy,

I looked into it myself, but the reviews on the conversion kits tend to be more good than negative.  However, I cannot justify the cost with the negatives out there.  I was at Walmart today looking around at their .22 selection and they have the Marlin Model 60 for $147!  I am thinking about going that route myself.

Now, if you are looking at it from a training standpoint for the AR, my answer above doesn't hold as much weight. 

Ebbtide

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
I have also looked into this for a while now. You can beat the spike's kit for $199. Great company and way better then the Ciener (SP?) kit.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »
AGI warns: when shooting .22lr rounds via a conversion kit through your AR-15 rifle that after every 150-200 rounds to fire 3-5 rounds of .223rem to get the lead fouling out of the gas tube.

I own the armorer's dvd and remember that part because I was thinking of a conversion once.

I would just go with a .22lr rifle instead.

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 04:33:05 PM »
I have used the Ceiner kit.  Both semi-auto and full-auto.  It works, most of the time.  The key is finding ammo that they like.  Nothing will function 100%.  I do not own one myself, but know someone who owns two, one for his semi and one for his full-auto, so that is where I have tried them both.  I have had a few jams, mostly with the semi-auto.  The worst thing I had was a round go off out of battery.  The round somehow feed sideways in front of the bolt, luckily with the bullet facing out.  When the bolt slammed forward, it struck the rear side of the .22 casing to detonate it.  I kept the casing for a while in my pocket.  I am sure it is probably rolling around in my shop somewhere.  If I decide I absolutely have to train with a .22 AR, i will buy a dedicated .22, such as the Spike's Tactical.  It will be built as a dedicated rifle as well, own lower and all.  For now, I will stick with my 10/22 when I want to shoot semi-auto.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:18:59 PM »
I'm looking to a 22 conversion to allow me to practice with my AR (for less money).  I'm not looking to a conversion to have a 22 (I have a 10/22).  As far as accuracy goes, I just need a 22 conversion to be basically accurate so my practice is meaningful. 

Also, I'd want a conversion instead of a new upper so I could use my AR's optics and practice with the weight and feel of my AR.  And an ST-22 upper is $550.  A kit is about $200.

So I'm wondering if various 22 conversion kits will harm my AR, be unsafe, or create other problems.  That's my main question.

Kaiservontexas mentions lead fouling in the gas tube with 22s.  Is that only with lead .22 bullets?  What if I use copper jacket .22lr?

Also, any thoughts on the Spike's Tactical kit versus any others?  Ebbtide said it was good but I'm wondering if anyone has used one.

Offline wbo3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:32:27 PM »
Gas tubes are cheap, if that is your primary concern.  I am thinking more of the barrel twist issue.  Typically your AR barrel is either 1/7", 1/8", or 1/9", I understand some older rifles are 1/12".  A .22LR is 1/16".  With the real light bullets of a .22 (<40gr) you will suffer in your accuracy.  I have not personally tried them, but I have been told that the heavy Aguila rounds do well in a conversion, they are something like 60gr bullets.  The majority of my experience with the kits has been full-auto, so accuracy was not an issue, more of a spray and pray type thing with those.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 11:15:34 PM »
I do not know about copper. I only know what the AGI dvd said. I am sure looking around will answer the question. I would still fire .223 rounds to clear the tube. It does not take make to fire 3-5 rounds.  ;D

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:28:59 PM »
I know that this is an oldie that I am bringing back to the surface, but I went shooting this past weekend and thought of this thread.  Some time ago, I purchased a Ciener/CMMG .22 LR conversion kit with Black Dog Machine magazines.  Well, finally got out to shoot the conversion this past weekend and I must say that it was awesome!  I ran several hundred rounds through the gun and it worked flawlessly for me using the Federal 550 Round value pack that Walmart sells.  Accuracy was actually quite respectable.  While I wasn't shooting paper targers, I was hitting plastic soda bottles at 75 yrds without much if any effort really.  Two big thumbs up from me on this one!

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »
I settled on a Spikes Tactical conversion kit after asking y'all which one.

It's a frickin' dream.  Here's my review of it: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0.  I had the honor of Jack actually mentioning this review on the podcast (he noted that I posted it on other forums with a link to TSP so people would go to TSP and maybe become forum members).

You're so right about the Federal bulk 550 pack ammo working the best.  I tested about 10 kinds of ammo and it worked the best.  And it's the cheapest and most plentiful .22 LR ammo (in my area at least).

I highly encourage any AR owner who is tired of paying $0.50 a round for 5.56/.223 and having to drive across state to actually get a case of ammo to get a .22 LR conversion.  You can shoot your AR all day--with the weight of your gun, your optics, your sling, etc.--for about $15.  That's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »
Nice reviews fellas...except now I'm going to have to figure out how to afford a couple of these for mine & Tina's AR's.

Billy McKay

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 04:10:18 PM »
I have also looked into this for a while now. You can beat the spike's kit for $199. Great company and way better then the Ciener (SP?) kit.

Apart from the chrome plating, it is the same design. What makes the Spikes so much better?

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »

Nice reviews fellas...except now I'm going to have to figure out how to afford a couple of these for mine & Tina's AR's.

You only need one bolt and a magazine for all your ARs.  Unless you want to shoot .22s together--the definition of love--then you'd need two.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »

Apart from the chrome plating, it is the same design. What makes the Spikes so much better?

I don't know.  I've never tried another one.  Someone on this forum said their Ceiner did just fine.  Other reviews said Ceiners jam more.  I think the main difference between Ceiner and Spikes, from what I can tell on forums, is customer service, which Spikes being way better.

Billy McKay

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
I see the Spikes unit has some o rings that improve function in some way as well.  I have the CMMG unit and it works fine. Wish I would have seen that the Spikes is the same price before I bought mine but I'm happy all the same.