Author Topic: EDC questions  (Read 7973 times)

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
EDC questions
« on: August 30, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »
I am looking for a new backpack... I have had issues with some of the ones I have bought in the past with things like straps breaking or the material shredding etc, I even had one that broke the second time I picked it up after loading it with my text books that semester.

needless to say I dont want to waste my time and money on crap like that again so I am wondering if anyone has brand recommendations or ones to say away from

I would like it to have

enough room to keep a change of clothes, a 17 in laptop, a notebook, a reasonable first aid kit( I dont have one assembled yet so I dont know the exact size yet) and a few other items ( tools, methods of starting fire, Mag lite  etc)

it would be nice if it had the ability to swap out some stuff and put a couple text books in there when I go back to school in the fall

As for the first aid kit I am not sure exactly what all I need to have in it, I know I want something more than a basic cuts etc, I am looking into taking a CERT class and I would like to get some other training as well

does anyone  have recommendations on at least a kit I can modify? on classes that would be good to take?
thanks

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
Re: EDC questions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
other questions

is a mag lite a good flashlight or should I look at another brand?

I think this is a standard feature but it needs to have a carry loop

thanks

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:23:13 PM »
I am looking for a new backpack... I have had issues with some of the ones I have bought in the past with things like straps breaking or the material shredding etc, I even had one that broke the second time I picked it up after loading it with my text books that semester.

needless to say I dont want to waste my time and money on crap like that again so I am wondering if anyone has brand recommendations or ones to say away from

I would like it to have

enough room to keep a change of clothes, a 17 in laptop, a notebook, a reasonable first aid kit( I dont have one assembled yet so I dont know the exact size yet) and a few other items ( tools, methods of starting fire, Mag lite  etc)

it would be nice if it had the ability to swap out some stuff and put a couple text books in there when I go back to school in the fall

As for the first aid kit I am not sure exactly what all I need to have in it, I know I want something more than a basic cuts etc, I am looking into taking a CERT class and I would like to get some other training as well

does anyone  have recommendations on at least a kit I can modify? on classes that would be good to take?
thanks

I have an old Eastpack and a Jansport I use. Both are quite good, and have held up to everything I've put them through. I recently got a couple North Face Borealis packs. The Borealis II is a very good laptop bag, which is what I use it for, and keep my Get Home Bag (the Eastpack) in my car. The Borealis II might be a bit tight to carry everything you mention.

I cannot help you with first aid kits. It's an area I'm just beginning to explore.

D

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »
I have had a rechargable mag lite for 20 years now. In my line of work I use it daily. I'm on my 3rd nicad battery, but this thing has been dropped, rained on, used as a impact weapon and has never let me down.
As for a quality backpack check out our sponsors and support them.

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:22:34 PM »
I have had a rechargable mag lite for 20 years now. In my line of work I use it daily. I'm on my 3rd nicad battery, but this thing has been dropped, rained on, used as a impact weapon and has never let me down.
As for a quality backpack check out our sponsors and support them.
what model light do you use? sounds like a good one

as for the bag I only saw one on TRG that looked close so I will have to research that one a bit more and see if it will suffice, I need to see if any stores around me have some of these so I can check them out and decide which I want to buy even though I will probably buy online

I saw a couple Jansports that looked good as well

thanks for the recommendations

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:58:24 PM »
other questions

is a mag lite a good flashlight or should I look at another brand?

I think this is a standard feature but it needs to have a carry loop

thanks

A couple questions to help out:

Price range?   Battery type?   Use?  LED or Incandescent bulb?

Mags were a great light in their day. They are built like tanks. Mag was in denial and came to the LED party very late in the game.They still have a lot of catching up to do.There a a bunch of brighter, more efficient,  smaller lights on the market today.

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:45:13 AM »
A couple questions to help out:

Price range?
 $30 or so
Battery type? 
not really sure
Use? general lighting, nothing specific really in mind at this point

LED or Incandescent bulb?
LEDs are better imo, if you know of a good incandescent that would work as well

thanks

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
I have the 9p-fl070 maglite. Yea its alittle big but it lights up the night. The light and recharger kit that it comes with runs about 100 bucks. You can always opt for a smaller model.

Offline exoduster18

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
As far as packs go, Check out the ones that are offered at Gander Mountain for about that price range. They are labeled under something like Camp Sierra or Sierra something or other.

They may not be the best, but the one I have has done everything I have asked of it and it still looks good and works. I had it do most of what you need it to. It cost me right around $35.

As far as a first aid kits, I bought one off the shelf at Walmart. It was a Johnson and Johnson kit for like $10 in a plastic case. I took all of those contents and put them into another item that I got at Walmart....it was in the Sporting Goods section. It is a Turkey Hunters pouch with the Buddy-Lok system on it. It is camouflaged. It has all sorts of pockets and loops in for things. I was able to pack it all in there as well as a survival blanket and other things.

As far as lights go, a Surefire G2 is an incandescent light for around $39. They are nice but the batteries are expensive. If you can, spring for an LED light. They are more expensive, but they are worth it. The batteries last longer and they are generally brighter. The Surefire G2L runs about $69. They are great lights.

As far as a loop goes, I am guessing that you would need to look at the Lanyard Kit or the "Combat" Rings for you if you wanted a carry loop, those are going to cost extra.....

Let me look for more info on everything that I have and I will post here later as far as the gear that I have and what may work for you. I don't know what your budget is, but I can make suggestions based off of what I have. Be prepared to spend money as EDC'ing gets expensive.....LOL.

Offline exoduster18

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »
This is very similar to the First Aid Kit that I picked up: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10419431#ProductDetail

This pouch is very similar to what I carry the First Aid Kit in: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10202775____SearchResults

As far as the flashlight goes, this is the Surefire G2L: http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

and the G2 (incandescent): http://www.surefire.com/G2-Nitrolon

Combat Rings: http://www.surefire.com/CombatRings-CR-KIT01

Lanyard: http://www.surefire.com/Z33-Lanyard-System

CR123A Batteries: http://www.surefire.com/12-Pack-Batteries

As far as the pack, I can't find that one that I have online, but here is a link to what Gander Mountain currently offers for $29.99: http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=412272&pdesc=Gander_Mountain_Canvas_Backpack&str=backpacks&aID=505A7&merchID=4005&r=view

That is part of what I have and where I got started when I was in college and didn't have a ton of money....

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »
I have recently upgraded my GHB (Get Home Backpack in my case) to one made by Targus, it's pretty tough for a non military looking bag, is made to carry a heavy laptop so it should stand up. As far as flashlights go I have a couple, at home I have a Streamlight Stinger plugged in near the front door and I carry a Pelican light similar to the streamlight at work both are rechargeable and are bright downside is the batteries only last 1hr so I keep a spare charged up

http://www.targus.com/us/cases_laptop_backpacks.asp
http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=2
http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=7050

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
sorry guess I was not clear on the carry loop thing, this one has the type of loop I was talking about on the top of it (just picked the first one off of his link)

thanks for the links guys that helps alot

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21:56 PM »
Hi!  I believe you were asking about some medical training?  I would go beyond your standard red cross first aid.  Look into either, Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder.  I prefer the First Responder.  What I like about either of these classes is there is a focus on improvisation.  The first responder is more expensive (500-800 average) and around 9 days long.  There are 3 major companies who offer these trainings.  They are:

http://www.nols.edu/wmi
http://www.wildmed.com
http://www.soloschools.com

I have experience with Wilderness Medical Associates (the second link) and SOLO (the last link)  I prefer WMA.  Good stuff!!

As for FAK, anticipate your most likely injuries and plan for that.  Also take into consideration how long you need that kit for.  I would make something more hardcore if it was my at home kit and less hardcore if I am putting it in a GHB.  Now, if it will take you 7 days to get home....a lot can go wrong in 7 days. 

An example:  My weekend backpacking FAK consists of various bandaids, some ibuprofen, ace bandage, moleskin, gauze, tape and co-flex.  I know how to improv. what I might need beyond that from my wilderness first responder training.  Also, a weekend is not a long time. 

Hope this helps!

Justinicus

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 08:37:42 PM »
I have recently upgraded my GHB (Get Home Backpack in my case) to one made by Targus, it's pretty tough for a non military looking bag, is made to carry a heavy laptop so it should stand up.

I had a Targus laptop bag... one of very few I could find that would fit and protect my 17-incher.  It lasted exactly one semester before the seams started to split, and the straps started pulling out of the bottom of the bag.  I don't intend to buy another Targus, myself. Or High Sierra, or whatever they're called.  Both fell apart on me in less than a year.  My Reebok gym bag is even worse... strap hardware fell apart after only a few uses, and a zipper pull fell apart shortly after. 

The only bags I've had that have truly held up are Jansport, Eastpak, and Timbuk2.  All of those have always done right by me, only needing replaced when I got bored with them, or the fabric itself wore through. Never the construction.  The Timbuk2 large messenger, especially.  I've used that bag hard, for about six years now. I've broken some of the plastic bits, but a few knots here and there keep things adjusted appropriately.  Of course, I expect that when I spend $140 on a bag.  I'm now using a Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger, because the Timbuk2 was way too big for my current needs.  Not cheap, and seems to be constructed extremely well.  Too small for the OP's needs, of course, but I'm impressed with Maxpedition's construction.

Offline Drezden

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 01:57:56 PM »
How firm are you on the price you wanna pay for the pack? I'm one of those guys that's rough on a pack and in the past have gone through them at an alarming rate. I tend to hold to the idea if it fits in the pack should be able to hold it. Most packs can't stand that kind of torture. A few years ago I shelled out some cash on a REI Traverse and haven't looked back. For me it's been the perfect "day pack" and I can carry all my EDC and then some without the pack failing in some way. You can spend in the neighborhood of $50 to $100, but for me at least it was well worth it.

Offline CGFxColoneill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »
@Nate
You suck... dangling such great things in front of me when I cant travel for them :P just kidding they are great links though and I will keep them in mind when I can travel

@Drezden
I was thinking in the 50 to 60 range not much more though, the 35 I mentioned was for the flashlight

thanks for the links and advice every one... I will probably be picking something up in the middle of next week and I will let you know what I end up with... I was at Academy the other day and I saw a Magellen that might work size wise, anyone have anything bad to say about them?... I did not fall in love with it or anything but it would probably work assuming it would hold up, and I cant find anything better